Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Adobe Cloud...? (Read 5535 times)
Robert_136464
artist

Adobe Cloud...?
Oct 11th, 2015, 12:32pm

OK my fellow creative peeps- it's about time to retire my dinosaur (10+years) of a computer. It works fine but I need an upgrade to work more efficiently on the internet. The biggest thing for me was all my software would need to be upgraded (10+ years). I was looking at Adobe creative cloud...who would recommend that? Just curious....thanks!
 Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Ron_196382

Re: Adobe Cloud...?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2015, 12:47pm

What Adobe apps do you use?

Email   IP Logged
Teri_179461
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2015, 12:54pm

Robert,

I would highly recommend Adobe Creative Cloud.  For a fairly small monthly fee you can get connected with Adobe to download a monthly use of their entire Creative Suite.  The advantage of this is that they keep your download updated with all the new revisions and upgrades as they happen.  Your other option is to buy their very expensive Creative Cloud software, which is quite expensive.  These you have to update yourself, as revisions are released.

I use their Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.  Your monthly payment varies with how many of their programs you want access to.  I personally think it is a great investment.  And I love their programs!

I think you would really enjoy the ease of using the Creative Cloud programs.

Teri
Che Bella Nota

Email   IP Logged
Bruce_244612

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2015, 12:59pm

Robert, It looks fantastic, being able to work across all platforms, any time but my personal, foremost consideration has always been privacy. What's yours is yours but with Adobe what's yours is also theirs. It depends on what you want to give up.

Do you know what their "small monthly fee" is?

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
Teri_179461
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2015, 1:16pm

You can get pricing for the programs you want at Adobe Creative Cloud.  I pay around $50 a month for the programs I use.  I don't store my artwork in the Cloud with Adobe - I use Drop Box and One Drive, that is part of Microsoft Office 365, to store my artwork files.

Email   IP Logged
Jaqui_136696
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2015, 4:21pm

I have used Adobe products for years. CC is great with many bells and whistles that do amazing things. If it fits in your budget, subscribe by all means. However, there are open source programs that mimic most Adobe major programs - such as Gimp  for Photoshop. Free or very inexpensive. Another way to bring the cost down is to become a student - community college is sufficient, possibly adult education class also. Once in the system, you can buy at the student price that is MUCH less than retail/consumer price. Do your research. Sorry, I don't have any more specific direction to give.

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2015, 4:47pm

Coral Paint Shop Pro is also a pretty good software, and you don't have to lease it monthly.  Purchase price is reasonable.

Email   IP Logged
Robert_136464
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2015, 10:57pm

@ Ron - I primarily use Flash, Illustrator and Photoshop so that seems to be available - not terribly expensive for the whole range of products - InDesign, Premier, After Effects etc.....

I believe it was $19 / month for one software platform $49/month for the whole range of Adobe products  

I was a bit concerned because it's just a never ending payment but I hear the age of buying boxed software and installing it on your computer has come and gone....

Thanks for all your input!

Now preparing to say goodbye to my old system  cry
We've had some great times, right....?

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2015, 9:48am

I have Adobe Photoshop cc and love it. I pay around $10 a month. Every time they upgrade I can download it. I can work online or off line with it. The best thing ever.

Email   IP Logged
Ron_196382

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2015, 2:14pm

There are a couple of issues I have with subscription based applications, one being Adobe can raise their subscription rate anytime they feel like it, other companies do it all the time. And if for any reason you have to discontinue your subscription you no longer have access to those programs and everything you created with them can not be opened.

Email   IP Logged
Debbie_312912

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2015, 10:02am

Quote from Ron_196382 on Oct 13th, 2015, 2:14pm:
There are a couple of issues I have with subscription based applications, one being Adobe can raise their subscription rate anytime they feel like it, other companies do it all the time. And if for any reason you have to discontinue your subscription you no longer have access to those programs and everything you created with them can not be opened.

These are the main reasons I just can't go for it. I want to be able to participate and have access to all of the goodies but if/when I stop the subscription I want to have access to my own work. It's just not worth it for me and it's something Adobe needs to address if they want more subscribers.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2015, 10:25am

I save my created items as photoshop files but also as jpg's. I save them to my computer and backups. True you wouldn't be able to open with photoshop cc but you can with another version of photoshop, but other programs can open jpg's.

Email   IP Logged
Debbie_312912

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2015, 2:48pm

Quote from Sherry_205423 on Oct 27th, 2015, 10:25am:
I save my created items as photoshop files but also as jpg's. I save them to my computer and backups. True you wouldn't be able to open with photoshop cc but you can with another version of photoshop, but other programs can open jpg's.

Is jpg the only other format you are allowed to save in? Thanks for your reply. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2015, 3:27pm

No. There are lots of others. That's just what I use.

Email   IP Logged
Debbie_312912

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2015, 4:02pm

Thank you Sherry.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.