Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Feedback/Suggestion Regarding the use of Original (Read 2777 times)
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Feedback/Suggestion Regarding the use of Original
Aug 31st, 2015, 1:55pm

In the past I have received reviewers comments that I had incorrectly identified my card submission as "original". They told me that I MUST use the phrase "original art". I deliberately use the phrase "original" because the art is original and the writing is original.  I didn't incorrectly identify anything.  I really thought the word "original" was pretty clear. Everything is original. But I switched to the phrase the reviewers wanted and  I've been using the phrase "original art" for about a year now with no problems. Now I have received a question about the writing. The process can be refined a little bit more.

There needs to be a short GCU official phrase that artists can use so the reviewers understand that both the art and the writing is original. I've tried just using the word "original" thinking that there would be no misunderstandings, but that didn't work. The amount of frustration and time can be lowered if the process can include a short phrase that everyone understands the meaning of and the proper use.

Also in the reviewing process flow I would like to suggest a condition. If the writing is an element and it can be identified as data, lists, or tables the reviewer does not need to ask about authorship. For external validation/verification please see US Copyright Circular 32. http://copyright.gov/circs/circ32.pdf  

I want to be perfectly clear - I'm not saying the reviewers are wrong. I just want something in the process that will clearly communicate to the reviewers the first time, that original means original everything (writing and art). Giving the reviewers all the information up front is a critical thing. If you come up with an official GCU phrase that conveys "original" for both writing and art, I will use it. I will use it often.  

Thanks for listening.

Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Re: Feedback/Suggestion Regarding the use of Origi
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2015, 2:19pm

I don't think there's an over all catch phrase. I just think being soecific is always a good thing. I have always used the term"orignal art" when submitting cards and never thought to just use the word "original" because it didn't seem specific enough as to what I was claiming to be original. "Original inside verse written by me" is an option. Albeit, if the verse or art seem familiar to the reviewers, they will be on the hunt to find the orignal source. That's why it's important to be specific as to what you, as the artist / writer claim to be original. I don't personally know of a shortcut around being specific to the reviewers. I would think the more specific we are in our submissions, the faster the review process goes. It may take a bit longer for us to communicate these facts, but it's worth it in the end.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2015, 2:37pm

I never use 'original' or 'original art' as a 'catch all' phrase in my Notes to Reviewer. That field is for communication between you the artist and the review team. So, I use it to communicate.

I often use:  Both artwork and verse created by me.  If the artwork used bits and pieces of elements were not all my own; then each is spelled out after a statement of "artwork created using" ... Then at the end of that statement, I speak to the verse.

There is no way to communicate as an all in one catch phrase. Artwork is one creative element and the verse is another. You should speak clearly to both areas, IMO.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2015, 3:14pm

Quote from Laura_142481 on Aug 31st, 2015, 2:19pm:
I don't think there's an over all catch phrase. I just think being soecific is always a good thing. I have always used the term"orignal art" when submitting cards and never thought to just use the word "original" because it didn't seem specific enough as to what I was claiming to be original. "Original inside verse written by me" is an option. Albeit, if the verse or art seem familiar to the reviewers, they will be on the hunt to find the orignal source. That's why it's important to be specific as to what you, as the artist / writer claim to be original. I don't personally know of a shortcut around being specific to the reviewers. I would think the more specific we are in our submissions, the faster the review process goes. It may take a bit longer for us to communicate these facts, but it's worth it in the end.  Smiley

Thank you for the suggestion - although in my particular circumstance the phrase "Original inside verse written by me" would not cover the reviewers question. In my case the text on the front of the card and the inside is all original.  

The phrase "Original art" is an official GCU phrase and it is written into the artist's submission instructions. It's part of the Standard Operating Procedures and Policies.  Which is why I was told to use it by the reviewers. You are also correct that GCU does not have an official phrase for original everything. How are Artists supposed to know that we have to claim authorship/rights-to-use for the art and text separately. The submission guidelines did not state that. Really, I had no idea. It came as a surprise.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2015, 4:46pm

Do you think that "Original art" and "Original text" is acceptable in the Note to Reviewer field? Would that phrase clearly include the text on the front of the card as well as the inside? When I use the term "original everything" in my earlier post I was trying to convey this because the reviewer specifically asked about the words on the front.  Which in my opinion shouldn't have even mattered because the specific text element in question is not covered by US copyright laws at all. It's barely considered writing.  

Thank You Doreen for sharing what you place in the reviewer field. Since I do not know the legal definition of the word "verse" as it applies to copyright law I'm reluctant to use it. I have a suspicion that the word "verse" might legally be interpreted as writing. Therefore, and I'm guessing here, it wouldn't cover my situation.  

I guess my post wasn't  clear. I should have said "I'm suggesting that GCU come up with an official phrase that conveys original text elements within the original design of the front of the card." Since my card is completely original from inside out, I was trying to simplify the matter by an all inclusive phrase. But hey why not? If GCU defines whatever phrase they choose and places it in the instructions to the artists then everyone will understand it's use.  

Obviously the phrase "original art" does not include text elements that are not covered by copyright law. So if these elements are not considered art, and it isn't really writing then what is it? Which is why I was asking for an inclusive phrase. Perhaps GCU has legal obligations that prevent it from happening.

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2015, 10:41pm

Why not say exactly what you posted here in this way:

"Completely original art, front text and inside text."  

Type it once and put it in a document so you can copy and paste.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2015, 8:13am

Sure seems to me to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

How often and how many of us use something like a 'form' which falls into your example of "is an element and it can be identified as data, lists, or tables"?  I don't think I ever have ... and if you do, then write something as Evelyn suggested that works for your unique situation and save it somewhere that you can grab it when needed.

You know I luv ya girl, but I don't understand why this is such an issue. GCU simply wants the artist to speak to ALL ELEMENTS of a design as to where they came from and that INCLUDES card front text and verse. There can not possibly be a 'catch all phrase' which works for everyone.

Each of us has to find what works best to communicate the type of art we create. It's really as simple as that.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2015, 11:01am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Sep 1st, 2015, 8:13am:
There can not possibly be a 'catch all phrase' which works for everyone.

Hmm, you got me thinking. Well, if the entire card and all the elements are 100% original, why not? There can be a GCU approved phrase that artists can use that conveys this meaning to the reviewers. The reviewers see it and automatically know "Oh, I don't have to ask the submitter for licensing information on anything". I think that would be a real time saver for the reviewers and for the artist. The only potential hindrance is legal obligations which I don't know, but GCU is in the position to know. I know for a fact that these kinds of elements used are not unique to me.  

It is not an unreasonable suggestion. GCU can take it or leave it. I'm not even suggesting a specific phrase, GCU can determine what's best. Maybe this suggestion will spawn a different solution. Maybe a checkbox or something on the web form. As more and more graphic artists and cartoonists are finding GCU, this might be beneficial down the road or in the near future.  

Doreen, I do understand your viewpoint and your point is well taken. The more instructions added to the guidelines for submissions makes them more complicated. You might have more information regarding the process of reviewing, I have very little.  

From my point of view and experience it would cut down the number of reviewing emails asking about licensing information when licensing questions do not apply...which is stemmed from inadequate wording from the the artist (me,guessing).  As of yesterday, I have changed my process. I am now using "Original art. Original text." Based upon these posts. So, I am trying to make changes on my end of the process and I hope to see results. I merely suggested a small process improvement (which ensures a clear communication between reviewer and artist) on GCU's end that would potentially benefit others and comply with legal obligations or corporate policies.  If it helps the reviewers, I'm all for it. If it helps guide the artists to assist the reviewers; then that's even better.

Thank you everyone for your inputs as it turned out to be two fold.

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2015, 12:11pm

As Doreen says, everyone's situation is different as regards what elements they use on their cards and what the source is.

I have always been anxious about tripping over licensing issues, so I create everything for my cards from scratch myself. It sounds like maybe this is what you do too. I have found the following form of words satisfies the reviewers in this situation (bearing in mind that I am working on foreign language cards).

"I have qualifications in Spanish so prepared my own spanish text and translations.
Graphic design and elements created by me. The fonts used are free for commercial use: schoolbell for the text http://www.fontspace.com/font-diner/schoolbell. And deja vu sans for the number  http://www.fontspace.com/dejavu/dejavu-sans."

I hope this helps.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2015, 1:55pm

My experience comes solely from that, experience, like you, in returns and listening to what the review team requests and then learning to comply in a way which makes sense to both the review team and myself.

Good luck on your quest  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2015, 4:20pm

The more you share with the review team in the Notes to Reviewers about the source of your image, design elements, inside verse, cover text, font, etc. the better prepared (informed) they are to review your card.  Detailed and complete notes may take more time on the front end but will save you time on the back end during reviews if the reviewer has questions and needs clarification.  Ultimately a quicker review for you, the reviewer and all the artists with pending cards behind yours.

As shared on this thread, each submissions is very different so there is no one pat answer or canned phrase.  You may find one that is almost "one size fits all" for you if all your submissions follow the same pattern, process, elements, etc.  

I believe the back and forth on your recent submission(s) had to do with numerology attributes.  There are many sources of these and astrology / zodiac descriptions for example that we've seen artists using verbatim from a 3rd party source which is not permitted.  Thus now if not spelled out or links provided we ask.  

Hope that provides you with some helpful guidance.

An amusing analogy comes to mind if I may ... When I ask my kids where they're going and they just say "Out".  A game of twenty questions ensues.  Out where?  with whom?  what time will you be back?  who's driving?  If they provided all the details up front we wouldn't have to go through this song and dance each time.  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2015, 4:44pm

Love the analogy, Mindy!  Grin  

Quote from Mindy on Sep 1st, 2015, 4:20pm:
The more you share with the review team in the Notes to Reviewers about the source of your image, design elements, inside verse, cover text, font, etc. the better prepared (informed) they are to review your card.  Detailed and complete notes may take more time on the front end but will save you time on the back end during reviews if the reviewer has questions and needs clarification.  Ultimately a quicker review for you, the reviewer and all the artists with pending cards behind yours.

As shared on this thread, each submissions is very different so there is no one pat answer or canned phrase.  You may find one that is almost "one size fits all" for you if all your submissions follow the same pattern, process, elements, etc.  

I believe the back and forth on your recent submission(s) had to do with numerology attributes.  There are many sources of these and astrology / zodiac descriptions for example that we've seen artists using verbatim from a 3rd party source which is not permitted.  Thus now if not spelled out or links provided we ask.  

Hope that provides you with some helpful guidance.

An amusing analogy comes to mind if I may ... When I ask my kids where they're going and they just say "Out".  A game of twenty questions ensues.  Out where?  with whom?  what time will you be back?  who's driving?  If they provided all the details up front we wouldn't have to go through this song and dance each time.  Wink

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.