Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Input Please On Marketing Strategy Question (Read 1819 times)
Kathleen_137290
artist

Input Please On Marketing Strategy Question
Aug 15th, 2015, 1:00pm

I’ve had some time to step back and look at the big picture and decided I need to step out of my cozy little studio and develop a better marketing strategy.

My first efforts, which are ongoing, include updating tags, descriptions and images and improving verses.  Which is quite comfortable here in my snug studio with a lovely view of nature’s bounty in rural Idaho.  Also feel it is a good use of my marketing time.

I’m such a lousy salesperson and don’t feel comfortable focusing on sales.  Was wondering, where is the best place to start and would really appreciate input from other artist who have a successful marketing program.  Need to do this one step at a time so it doesn’t get overwhelming.

If you were just starting out, what would you start with?
Facebook
Blog
Web Page
Or something else like Pinterest

Twitter is not a favorite with me, so probably would not use.
I am on LinkedIn and Google+, but not actively.

Any of your ideas would be greatly appreciated and would help me zero in on something that I can accomplish successfully.

Happy day!
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Input Please On Marketing Strategy Question
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2015, 1:54pm

Hi Kati,

I've found Facebook to be worthless for marketing - not if you're a big company like GCU, but for us little guys it really does nothing for your sales. Our following tends to be 90% other artists and 10% family/friends - not people who will become customers. Great for connecting, but not for us artists.

If you were to start out one place, my advice would be Pinterest. I have direct correlation of sales coming from posts there. It's easy, free and you attract people who are looking for your content.

I would suggest you start on Pinterest and focus the rest of your time on creating strong meta-tag data for each card on GCU as you've suggested. The sales from doing that is also immediate. I've been working on that for a while now and updated old cards along the way. They start selling the same week in most cases.

You will see major results from these two areas. Then when every card has been touched and updated, you can explore a blog or website for your work.

Hope that helps Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2015, 3:17pm by Doreen_137017 »  
Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2015, 9:48pm

Thanks Doreen,

Good to know about Facebook.  I will pass that by.

On Pinterest, do you make pages or post (share … or whatever it’s called) to other people’s pages?

I’ve been trying to focus my creative urges on reviewing every card  ….. still working at it.  Whew, it’s taking forever.  However, I think it’s the best use of my marketing time right now.  And you have reinforced that.  Have decided I won’t make any new big design series until I finish my review.  That way I won’t get side tracked.  You are right, I’ve already seen sales on cards I’ve worked on.

Really appreciate your help.

Hope you had a great weekend, any happy dances?

Kati  

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2015, 12:23pm

Hi Kathleen,

On Pinterest you create "boards" and give a name to each. You then populate each board with photos. For instance, you could have one board for each card category (birthdays, etc.). Or you could create boards according to colors used, or pics of things that have inspired you. It's entirely up to you.  Smiley

Have fun doing it, and why not post a link to your Pinterest page here when you've got some boards going?

Have a beautiful day,
Evie

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_154091
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2015, 9:59am

Wanelo.com is a great place to advertise your cards.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2015, 6:54am

Lisa, don't you need to have a Shopify store to be on Wanelo?

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_154091
artist

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2015, 4:47am

Sandra, no you don't. GCU takes care of all of the payments and correspondence for us so Wanelo is just another way to advertise the products in your store and create more traffic. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2015, 5:28am

Where do we find information about Wanelo and GCU?  Is it automatically set up for us on GCU or is there something else we need to do, Lisa.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_154091
artist

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2015, 6:19am

No, there isn't anything set up for us. I found Wanelo through my daughter, who shops there. I just googled how to post your items on Wanelo and found it an easy way to advertise products on my GCU store. Minimal amount of personal info needed to set up an account. Once it's set up you just hit post and copy and paste the link to your product. Easy peasy Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2015, 6:28am

Thanks, Lisa!

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_154091
artist

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2015, 6:30am

You're Welcome!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.