Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Apostrophe (Read 999 times)
Mary_140624
artist

Apostrophe
Apr 18th, 2015, 12:58am

I have had a Mother's Day card returned for edits, asking me to close the gap between the r and the s, (where the apostrophe is!) .I have written it as it is typed using the apostrophe , ...should I just type it with no apostrophe, then put it in separately?

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_137209
artist

Re: Apostrophe
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2015, 5:34am

I had a card returned for the spacing between words. The reviewer said they words were spaced to far apart. Like you, I did not create the space between the words, my software program did. I tried typing the words separate and spacing them by hand, then the letters were too close together and the card was returned again.  
At that point, I was frustrated. Because I had just a while before had one card approved, and the same design with different wording (for a series of name cards) returned because the font was not the same on the second card. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't use the spacing my program did automatically, I couldn't use my own spaces, I was afraid if I changed fonts, I would be rejected again, I gave up.

Finally, after considering for a few days, I changed the font on the card with the spacing problem and tried again. This time the card was accepted.

My suggestion is try a different font. Some fonts, especially free download fonts, just have different spacing between words and letters than is the norm.

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2015, 5:53am

Mary, are you using Adobe Photoshop for your designs? If you are, a quick way to change the spacing between letters is to, in the layers palette, click on the text layer that you are editing, so that you are on that layer.  Then place the curser to the left of the apostrophe, on the text layer. Then hold down the alt key and click on the left  arrow key and it will move the apostrophe over to the left in tiny increments.  You can then do the same with the letter 's'.  Place the curser to the left of the letter 's', hold down the alt key, and click on the left arrow key to move the 's' over to the left in tiny increments.

If you're not using Photoshop, let us know which software you are using and maybe someone with experience with that software will be able to advise Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2015, 8:33am

You can adjust the spacing between letters (Kerning) in Photoshop - something I do all the time, as many are not 'natural' to me.

http://gcucommunity.com/2012/04/18/nuts-and-bolts-typography/

This shows you how:

http://sahlinstudio.com/how-to-change-your-text-spacing-in-photosohop-tracking-a nd-leading/

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2015, 9:03am

I, too, had a card rejected because the kerning seemed "off" between the letters and an unusually large apostrophe. I fixed it by hand (didn't have Photoshop) by tightening the spacing and inserting an apostrophe from a different font. It looked so much better and was immediately approved.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2015, 2:41pm

Thanks everyone, I will give it a go!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.