Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Show Your Challenge Inspired Cards (Read 3783 times)
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Show Your Challenge Inspired Cards
Feb 5th, 2015, 7:34am

Sometimes you have to quote a good idea and run with it - this is from Sun At Night:

"What if there was a separate section for artists to post links to their cards that the contest inspired but are NOT entries of the contest?

This would benefit artists by seeing other artist's interpretations of the contest requirements. Sort of like showing examples and maybe inspiring future contest entries. That way artists who do not enter the contest (for whatever reasons) can feel that they are benefiting from the challenges. Who knows, maybe artists were inspired by only one contest requirement, or maybe they just don't need the "prizes" or maybe they need a confidence boost to get ready for the next challenge."  

So this is the place - SHOW US your challenge inspired card(s) and share a bit about how you were inspired. Please be specific enough to let us know WHICH challenge and WHICH portion of the challenge inspired you Smiley

Here is a link to the Dash of Inspiration Design Challenges: http://gcucommunity.com/category/design-challenge/

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Re: Show Your Challenge Inspired Cards
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2015, 10:23am

Well, I'll go first. I was inspired by the February challenge of Curiosity, water, sentient being and a door. All of these elements I placed into a design for a Congratulations Graduation card.

The door is the portal.  
The sentient being is the clam.
Water is the ocean.
Curiosity is implied in the rhyming verse. I admit that it is a hint of the theme.
Symbolism is the pearl of knowledge or wisdom wearing the graduation hat.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/congratulations-cards/graduation/general-gra duation/sea-of-possibilities-graduation-1358778

I focused on a category that was well sort of general and very marketable. Graduation is just around the corner. The first thing that I did though was to look up all requirements in the dictionary and thesaurus. Just to make sure that I had the right objects. One could argue that a portal is a door, but a portal isn't a port hole. I know nothing of ships but now I do.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2015, 11:07am

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Feb 5th, 2015, 10:23am:
Well, I'll go first. I was inspired by the February challenge of Curiosity, water, sentient being and a door. All of these elements I placed into a design for a Congratulations Graduation card.

The door is the portal.
The sentient being is the clam.
Water is the ocean.
Curiosity is implied in the rhyming verse. I admit that it is a hint of the theme.
Symbolism is the pearl of knowledge or wisdom wearing the graduation hat.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/congratulations-cards/graduation/general-gra duation/sea-of-possibilities-graduation-1358778

I focused on a category that was well sort of general and very marketable. Graduation is just around the corner. The first thing that I did though was to look up all requirements in the dictionary and thesaurus. Just to make sure that I had the right objects. One could argue that a portal is a door, but a portal isn't a port hole. I know nothing of ships but now I do.  Smiley

MARVELOUS! Absolutely meets all the challenge requirements and you tied in a great verse to match your image and category choice. I LOVE IT!  

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2015, 3:49pm

Well, I'll go next.  

I decided to attempt the February Challenge, Theme - "Curiosity." At first I was stumped by the Theme and totally uncertain what I would do. After thinking awhile, the word made me think of children. They're all so curious about everything.

I knew then I would have a child on the card, but what could I have the child doing? I thought of making it look at something. I could give the child a magnifying glass. I was trying to think of how I could use water? A frog in a jar popped into my mind.

I then needed a reason for the child to be looking at the frog. A classroom came to mind. I decided to make it a Teacher Thank You Card. It all came together exactly the way I wanted it to. I drew everything except the jar and frog.  

Door - Classroom door.
The Sentient being  - Boy.
Water - surrounding the rock and frog in the jar.
Curiosity - Stated in the in the card header, "Teachers Inspire Curiosity."

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/thank-you-cards/teacher/general-teacher/gree ting-card-1358412?aid=222657

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2015, 3:57pm

I love that you had such a well thought out plan, Sherry and delighted you entered!      

However, since this card is your official entry, I will refrain from commenting until the challenge is over.  I'd hate to say something that could be considered swaying the jury  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2015, 4:28pm

No problem, Doreen. I had fun no matter what happens.

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2015, 7:24pm

Sun at Night, I love your card!

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2015, 9:18am

Quote from Betsy_145102 on Feb 5th, 2015, 7:24pm:
Sun at Night, I love your card!

Thank you for the compliment.  

I hope that by sharing some of the creative process that happens (like Sherry has done) and the tools that I used it will inspire artists to try their hand at the challenges.

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2015, 1:09pm

So this is the place you post your link if you are NOT going to enter the contest.  These cards seem good enough to me to enter, I wonder why the artist are not going to enter, unless they already won previous months.    I am thrilled that I got an approval from my entry just today, and I plan on sending it all the way.

If ever a day came that I would win, after that I don't think I would enter for awhile, for fear I might win again.  A long shot of course, yet I would hate to win two times in a row.  I'm weird that way!  Yet, I might want to still create the  challenge and  in that case this is an excellent idea.  

I really enjoyed looking at these cards and especially the story behind the inspiration.  That would be an excellent idea for the entries, to include  their story too, in the future.  So very interesting!

Email   IP Logged
Cisillia_180150
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2015, 3:28pm

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/1358980

Contest inspired but not an entry.    
February contest, theme - curiosity.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2015, 8:24am

Quote from Cisillia_180150 on Feb 9th, 2015, 3:28pm:

Really fun to see your Curiosity inspired creation, Cisillia.  Now that card will put a smile on some faces Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cisillia_180150
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2015, 4:13pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Feb 10th, 2015, 8:24am:
Quote from Cisillia_180150 on Feb 9th, 2015, 3:28pm:

Really fun to see your Curiosity inspired creation, Cisillia.  Now that card will put a smile on some faces Smiley

Thanks, Doreen!

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2015, 3:00pm

Inspired by the March challenge. Theme of Mom, and accent color.  

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/holiday-cards/mothers-day-cards/for-mom-moth er/general/celestial-butterfly-happy-mothers-1365874?aid=145914

The symbolism and story behind the artwork is very complex. It's a summary of transforming - changing to achieve fun experiences. Part of the story is finding peace when chaos is all around. Snatching a few seconds here or few minutes there. The second part of the story is about changing traditions. The story/journey took 1 year to unfold starting with a butterfly that I photographed while on a family vacation in the wilds of Arkansas. The mystery of the butterfly was the species, it was from the southern hemisphere. Not indigenous to North America. One of life's many mysteries.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2015, 7:47am

I thought that I would generate an interest and give an example for this month's Challenge, especially since the announcement that entries were sparse for last month.  

Inspired by the theme "Paint the Town Red".

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/anniversary-wedding-cards/from-group-all-of- us/paint-the-town-red-1405020?aid=145914

I wanted to spark the idea of using other obvious categories. In this example I used the category of Wedding Anniversary > From All Us.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2015, 8:03am

Wonderfully executed design, SunAtNight! How fun to see how you were inspired by the Paint the Town Red theme.

Thank you so much for sharing that great card. Hopefully, it will inspire others to create and participate in the challenge.  Smiley

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Oct 12th, 2015, 7:47am:
I thought that I would generate an interest and give an example for this month's Challenge, especially since the announcement that entries were sparse for last month.

Inspired by the theme "Paint the Town Red".

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/anniversary-wedding-cards/from-group-all-of- us/paint-the-town-red-1405020?aid=145914

I wanted to spark the idea of using other obvious categories. In this example I used the category of Wedding Anniversary > From All Us.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.