You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
External Hard Drive (Read 8970 times)
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

External Hard Drive
Jan 25th, 2015, 4:43pm

I purchased an external hard drive as a back up for my system, but I was also hoping to find a way to store my billions of photos and designs somewhere else so they wouldn't take up all my computer's storage. But now I'm worried if I delete files on my computer, they will also be deleted on the hard drive the next time I back up my computer. Will this happen automatically? Or so I have to manually delete them? If this is the case, can I get a better suggestion for how to store photos so they don't take up my PC's hard drive?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: External Hard Drive
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2015, 4:57pm

I think I'm getting confused, so I'll offer this and we'll go from there  Grin

I do not store ANY files on my computer's hard drive other than software. I work solely from four different external drives and a TeraStation.

So, with that said. MOVE the files to your external drive.  

Then back up will function as backup.  Does that answer your question?

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_294968
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2015, 5:03pm

Hi

I have three externals and clean up my system often, but I physically put mine across rather
thank backing up, I just throw the folder on to the external and delete from my system.

However... I also had one buffalo drive, that ate the lot, it just died on me, and the reason was
un-plugging it without shutting down my computer, although I did recover, it took days to do that
and I did loose a lot of files, so be careful with them.

I keep my backup for recovery on my real drive, as I have oodles of space because I put everything on
externals, or I would have been out of space along time ago Cheesy

Usually backups have different numbers and dates, but if you are talking photographs, just throw the files
over as you go, or simply save to the external rather than the internal, making sure that my system stays nice and fast and clean as possible.

Others though might do thinks very different or have better advice, I kind of bimble along being me Cheesy

Hugs Moonie

Email   IP Logged
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2015, 5:26pm

O.k., so instead of running a backup, I can move the files, and then they will just be there and won't be deleted.

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2015, 5:39pm

Angela, it sounds to me like what this one external drive is to perform double duty i.e. to function as your back up AND a place for your large collection of images etc. This is a bad idea. If you move your image files from your internal hard drive to the new external hard drive, that will be become your ONLY copy of these files, and depending on how you have set up your backing up software, you could delete this files without meaning to.

External hard drives for back up purposes need to have that role alone. This is not negotiable if you want your files to be safe. Doreen and Moonie have detailed their ways, here's mine.

I have an iMac but you can set up a similar architecture if you have a PC. I have recent images (last three years) on my internal hard drive for quick access. All of the others are stored on a USB connected external hard drive. So, these two drives are my primary storage drives. For backup, I have two Thunderbolt connected external hard drives and I use Time Machine to back up both of my primary storage drives. If Time Machine has access to two drives, like in my scenario, it will alternate backing up between them. In any case, I always have three copies of any file, one on one of my primary storage drives and two back ups. In addition, since I use Lightroom extensively for image management, I have my Lightroom catalogue backed up to Dropbox. In time I will also start to copy certain images to the cloud in order to get them off my premises. Always something else to do ...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2015, 6:05pm

Thank you, it really does help. I don't really want to back up all of my files, just store a portion of them. I didn't realize there was an option. Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2015, 6:14pm

Only current images are on my hard-drive - all the old images, cards, and photographs are on my external hard-drive.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2015, 9:22pm

I was using and external drive as a backup for several years. I didn't have enough room on my computer hard drive to put everything, so I put it on the external drive. Just before Christmas, my computer crashed, so I bought another with a bigger drive. I planned on putting items from the external drive on my new computer. Well, the best laid plans.... One day my external drive refused to read. Nothing worked. I was devastated. Everything for my businesses, all my photos and genealogy, everything was on it.

Since the exxternal drive was a Seagate Drive, I contacted Seagate. They tried a download to fix the problem, but it didn't work. So...for $49 I sent the drive to them. They would look at the drive and see if they could recover my data. After 3 weeks, I was told they could recover everything. I was so happy. It cost me $450 more for the recovery, but I got my data back on a new drive. Plus because my drive was under warranty, I even got another brand new external drive. Now, I have two! $500 is a lot to pay, but worth it to get everything back.

Now I have my data on the new computer and the external drive plus I'm using JustCloud. It backs up my computer daily. The cost wasn't bad. A little over $100 for a year. Well worth it if you ask me.  

I don't ever intend to lose my data again. Be sure to backup your information in numerous places just to be safe. If you ever need a data recovery service, Seagate is costly, but wonderful! I highly recommend them.

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2015, 10:10pm

You're a brave woman, Angela!  Smiley Personally, I back up everything twice, always. Having had the experience, back in the day, of the disk that my then-incomplete doctoral thesis was on spontaneously decide not to work ever again and, luckily, having an up-to-date backup sitting on my desk made me value backing up absolutely everything. Hard drives are relatively cheap and the anxiety and distress that file loss can cause is not worth the "saved" money.

Just my two cents, I'll stop now.  Smiley

Cheers,

Rosanne

Quote from Angela_134247 on Jan 25th, 2015, 6:05pm:
Thank you, it really does help. I don't really want to back up all of my files, just store a portion of them. I didn't realize there was an option. Thanks!

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Tanya_294968
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2015, 5:28am

I must admit, that even though we have an external for my cards and art, we also have one only for photographs over on the hubbies side *points East*, and I have learned lots of lessons, and shove them on disk as well, I have sooo many disks,
and thankfully I do.  We could go around and around backing them up all over but it can get rather
confusing, well no I get confused because I organise like a bag lady, shove it all in and hunt for three hours.

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_246828
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2015, 4:10am

If you join here and pay the $30.00 a year membership, they have a print file storage and retrieval system where you can download any images you upload to their site to your new computer should your old computer crash. I love that about this place and it is well worth the $30.00 membership just for that. Plus I have a chance to sell some of my work as art prints.  

http://www.theuntappedsource.com/  

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2015, 3:31pm

Maybe I'm a bit neurotic about losing my image files but I have them all on two external drives, my laptop, my desktop and the really important stuff also on 'clouds' - dropbox, google drive, onedrive and box.com - all of which are free.

Email   IP Logged
Richard_320046
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2015, 6:47pm

I like google drive and google photo.
drive - super easy to organize photos in folders, access on multiple devices, free space etc.    
photo - automatic upload to the cloud, free space

Email   IP Logged
Richard_320046
GCU Newbies

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2015, 6:47pm

Also, a lot of the newer cameras have wifi capabilities, really makes cloud storage easy-

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2015, 7:48pm

Between companies going out of business, hackers and piracy, I will not store my art files out in 'space' where I give up complete control on how they are stored and who has access.

External drives are cheap and a brilliant solution. I know from recent experience in fire evacuation that they are simple to remove from the computer and take with me.

Just my view Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.