Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
New for 2015 - Store Size Limits (Read 20316 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: New for 2015 - Store Size Limits
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2014, 12:06pm

Quote from Sherry_222657 on Dec 30th, 2014, 11:08am:
Another question.

If I submit a card and it's returned for edits and I resubmit it, is that considered one submission or two in your tally of 15,000?

That is one submission as it reflects the same pid# no matter its status in the review process or edits made.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #16 - Dec 31st, 2014, 12:37pm

Quote from Sherry_222657 on Dec 30th, 2014, 10:45am:
Mindy, I have a few questions.

Why if you delete an old card would there not be room for a new card? Things like Graduation Card trends and Chinese New Year Cards change each year. Why would people who've reached the limit of 15,000 not be able to delete the old and add new more current cards?

I can understand having a certain amount due to bandwidth or something, but once the card is deleted doesn't that free up space? I'm not near the total of 10,000, but just curious.

Also, those who reach 15.000 then would no longer basically be a creative artist at GCU, because they are stuck with what they already created and unable to create more, right?

Also, I don't understand that the total allowed is submissions and not actual cards in the store. Why should someone be penalized if they have submitted four cards and only one was approved and is in their store?  

Just trying to understand.

Good questions.  

We do not encourage artists to delete cards based on changing trends especially if those cards prove to be successful.  

To avoid a long technical explanation, there is a lot of data that is created and stored with each submission.  No matter the status (pending, declined, deleted, etc.) this data is retained for many reasons.  At some point we may develop a system to age, identify and purge unnecessary data.  This is nowhere in the near future.

We feel the maximum store size limit of 15,000 is significant and affords artist much in the way of creativity and growth.

Artists who have reached the maximum can request a second store as an extension.  As shared this will be reviewed and granted on an exception basis determined by overall store marketability and sales history.

There is no intention to penalize artists who have a high decline rate of submissions however there should be some ramifications or modified behavior in future submissions to improve the rate of approvals.  Artists regardless of store size should always use great care and consideration with each submission.

Hope this answers your questions!

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Jan 1st, 2015, 9:35am

I understand about housing the data. You also need to keep in mind that this will have a cause and affect result rolling down to the reviewers. On one hand the number of submissions will be kept down; however, artists will have to communicate more with the reviewers in an effort to get their submission approved. More artists will feel inclined to fight for the approval and less inclined to just agree to disagree with the Reviewer. It was always the artist's choice if they did not agree with the reviewer to delete the submission and post  the card on another site. This policy penalizes those artists in this scenario.  This will result in an increase of communications to the reviewers (more email data to house). Yes, I know that email is cheaper to house than BLOB files.

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2015, 5:30pm

Thank you for this info. I am glad we will still be able to edit 'old cards' as I have learned so much from the GCU Community Blog on how to improve marketability.
I do have a question though. Once we reach the 15,000 limit, our cards will not be shown in the "New Cards" Category, and front door sales may drop for the designers that have been here the longest and have reached the limit.  
**Is there any chance perhaps to get an "Older Cards" Category on the Main GCU Front Page, put in with the "New Cards, Best Sellers, Most Favorited Cards and Staff Picks".  
Thank you GCU Team for all your hard work!!  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2015, 6:41pm

Why wouldn't new cards still show in New Cards areas? Different store, yes, but I think new cards are new cards regardless what store they were created in Smiley

Quote from Janet_134086 on Jan 7th, 2015, 5:30pm:
Thank you for this info. I am glad we will still be able to edit 'old cards' as I have learned so much from the GCU Community Blog on how to improve marketability.
I do have a question though. Once we reach the 15,000 limit, our cards will not be shown in the "New Cards" Category, and front door sales may drop for the designers that have been here the longest and have reached the limit.
**Is there any chance perhaps to get an "Older Cards" Category on the Main GCU Front Page, put in with the "New Cards, Best Sellers, Most Favorited Cards and Staff Picks".
Thank you GCU Team for all your hard work!!  

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2015, 9:46pm

Hi Doreen, yes, you are right, however ... the remaining store will not be able to make new cards, thus will not show up in the new card area, which I'm sure a lot of older or even newer customers come in and look thru the new card section first, cards from already limited stores will not show up, thus less sales. ( I do advertise a lot on many sites, which I'm sure brings in my many sales, but I'm also sure some of my sales come thru via the New Card section, as a lot of my new cards have sold right away. So I thought it would be advantageous for those cards to be seen on the front page as well.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2015, 12:55pm

Quote from Janet_134086 on Jan 7th, 2015, 9:46pm:
Hi Doreen, yes, you are right, however ... the remaining store will not be able to make new cards, thus will not show up in the new card area, which I'm sure a lot of older or even newer customers come in and look thru the new card section first, cards from already limited stores will not show up, thus less sales. ( I do advertise a lot on many sites, which I'm sure brings in my many sales, but I'm also sure some of my sales come thru via the New Card section, as a lot of my new cards have sold right away. So I thought it would be advantageous for those cards to be seen on the front page as well.  Smiley

Hi Janet,
We do not have plans to create or offer shoppers an "older cards" view.  

A majority of cards are sold based on search results.  So cards, old or new, are predominantly found based on their title, keywords and product description (Artist's Notes).

For artists with stores that have reached their store size limits my advice would be to take the time to optimize the valuable metadata (title, keywords & product description) on each and every card.   This will give your card(s) more visibility to the right shoppers.

There are many tips for creating good and effective card titles, keywords and product descriptions on the GCU Community blog:  http://gcucommunity.com/

Hope that is helpful advice.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2015, 1:12pm

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Jan 1st, 2015, 9:35am:
I understand about housing the data. You also need to keep in mind that this will have a cause and affect result rolling down to the reviewers. On one hand the number of submissions will be kept down; however, artists will have to communicate more with the reviewers in an effort to get their submission approved. More artists will feel inclined to fight for the approval and less inclined to just agree to disagree with the Reviewer. It was always the artist's choice if they did not agree with the reviewer to delete the submission and post  the card on another site. This policy penalizes those artists in this scenario.  This will result in an increase of communications to the reviewers (more email data to house). Yes, I know that email is cheaper to house than BLOB files.

I do see your point that since submissions are "limited" each one means more to artists.  Although the review team is receptive to communications with artists I will share that since reviews are based on the Submission Guidelines there really is no loophole or wiggle room.  

If you plan to "sell" your submission to the review team you should ...
a) make sure the submission meets the guidelines and is strong enough to pass the review process on its own merits  
b) do any selling or explaining in the Notes to Reviewers field at the time of submission, not pleading your case in an email after the fact

This is a good time to remind artists of the Series Concept Review process.  Even more important now for artists with Store Size limits in mind by reviewing a single concept design before the balance of the series is created / submitted:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1377212908

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2015, 3:47pm

Okay, Thank you for the info. Mindy.  
I will work on those things also to improve my card sitings.  
Have a Happy New Year!

Email   IP Logged
Christine_183486
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #24 - Jan 26th, 2015, 5:40am

I found this discussion when trying to understand the new figures about my store.  DId anyone answer Sherry's two questions?  It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Chris

Email   IP Logged
Christine_183486
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #25 - Jan 26th, 2015, 5:49am

Just found page 2.  This answers my question but doesn't seem to reflect the numbers on my store which are implying that I have had more than one card declined.  If returned for edits does not count then this is not the case.  The figures imply 9 declined.

Chris

Email   IP Logged
Laney_143107
artist

Reply #26 - Feb 2nd, 2015, 6:10pm

Thanks for the update!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630

Reply #27 - Apr 15th, 2015, 1:25pm

Hi Mindy,

When using stock cards does this count as a submission to your store?

Beverly

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #28 - Apr 30th, 2015, 2:01pm

Quote from Beverly_133630 on Apr 15th, 2015, 1:25pm:
Hi Mindy,

When using stock cards does this count as a submission to your store?

Beverly

Yes, stock card creations do count as submissions in your store.

Email   IP Logged
Teresa_349610
GCU Newbies

Reply #29 - Feb 27th, 2016, 9:05pm

Hi Mindy! I'm making some cards to sell online.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.