Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
New for 2015 - Store Size Limits (Read 20317 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

New for 2015 - Store Size Limits
Dec 29th, 2014, 3:35pm

Effective December 1, 2014  -  Store Size Limits

GCU has grown by leaps and bounds since 2007!  So have artists’ storefronts, especially those of artists who have been with us since the early days.  Although we herald the prolific growth the time has arrived to establish Store Size Limits.

The optimal store size is 10,000 submissions.  Artists will receive a warning alert when their store size has reached 10,000 submissions.  

The maximum store size 15,000 submissions.  Artists will receive an error alert when their store size has reached the maximum limit of 15,000 submissions.  At that time edits to existing cards will be permitted however NO new submissions will be permitted.  

In mid-January you will notice a new “Store Size” field on your admin page in the right margin.  This is where the store size limit alerts will be posted.  It displays the following for example:

Total Approved:  1,310  (this is approved public & private cards)
Total Submissions:  2,017  (this is ALL submissions and is the number used for store size limits)

Important note, deleting existing cards from your store will NOT make room for new cards to be added.

As you reflect on store size and your submissions please keep these considerations in mind …
It is not ideal to amass a store with non-occasion cards or “more of the same” cards, this is discouraged.  It is wise for artists to evaluate their collections and marketability of future submissions.  There is some validity that the more cards you have the higher chances of visibility and sales you will have – however each and every card you submit should speak to an occasion, stand strongly in its category and have great marketability & purpose.

There are a handful of GCU artists that have already surpassed the maximum store size limit.  Those artists have been “grandfathered in” to maintain their existing store and have been approved to open a second store as an extension.  GCU has already contacted these artists.  Opening a second store solely because you've reached the store size limit is not permitted and will need to be reviewed by GCU for express permission granted on an exception basis.  

Please let us know if you have any questions.  

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Re: New for 2015 - Store Size Limits
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2014, 4:04pm

Good to know, Mindy. I am wondering also if you can let us know what the newer trends are.  In my store,  have a variety of styles becuz that is the way I do all my arts anc crafts but I might cash in if I knew that cats were coming back or little bitty creatures in grass.

Thank you in advance.

Bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2014, 4:14pm

Quote from Mary__137064 on Dec 29th, 2014, 4:04pm:
Good to know, Mindy. I am wondering also if you can let us know what the newer trends are.  In my store,  have a variety of styles becuz that is the way I do all my arts anc crafts but I might cash in if I knew that cats were coming back or little bitty creatures in grass.

Thank you in advance.

Bright

Bright, just sign up to read the Community Blog regularly. Corrie posts almost weekly latest trends and great info to keep your designs new and fresh. When a trend returns, it's always with some tweaks, so old designs still might need some updating to be desirable to shoppers looking for that trend.

Speaking for myself as a greeting card artist, it is my responsibility to research and know what the latest trends are, not to expect GCU to tell me.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2014, 4:28pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Dec 29th, 2014, 4:14pm:
Quote from Mary__137064 on Dec 29th, 2014, 4:04pm:

Thank you in advance.

Bright

Bright, just sign up to read the Community Blog regularly. Corrie posts almost weekly latest trends and great info to keep your designs new and fresh. When a trend returns, it's always with some tweaks, so old designs still might need some updating to be desirable to shoppers looking for that trend.

Speaking for myself as a greeting card artist, it is my responsibility to research and know what the latest trends are, not to expect GCU to tell me.

Correct and a great suggestion!  Corrie shares many design trends on the Community Blog like this recent one:
gcucommunity.com/2014/12/04/tips-and-tricks-greeting-card-trends-2015/

Be sure to subscribe and read often.  

I personally use Pinterest to see what is trending design wise.  Clothes, home decor, colors, etc. that translates across all media / products.  It's an invaluable, visually rich resource.

I always find it interesting to see the Pantone Color of the Year:
http://blog.pantone.com/2014/12/pantone-reveals-color-year-2015-pantone-18-1438- marsala/

Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2014, 12:33am

I doubt I'll hit the 10,000 card limit in my lifetime  Smiley and Pinterest, as Mindy said, is definitely a great source for what is trending and also for inspiration... as well as the tips from GCU.
Thanks for the store update Mindy.  

Happy New Year to you!  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2014, 6:16am

Mindy, Thanks for sharing the news! I agree, Laura, I don't know if I will ever hit that mark!  
I do have a question, Mindy. I have 2 stores. Are they considered separate when counting submissions or will the total of the 2 stores be combined to go towards the 15,000? I assume since you are allowing grandfathered in artists to open a second store that they are separate, but I figured I would ask just to be sure. Happy New Year!

Email   IP Logged
Robin_134252
artist

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2014, 7:51am

Great question, Betsy. I'll probably never hit that number in either of my stores, but good to know just in case  

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2014, 8:57am

Mindy, I am always impressed at how well the company is being run. You make decisions that benefit the whole, while looking out for the individual - both artist and shopper.  

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2014, 10:31am

Thanks, Mindy.  Of course I do my own research, but I wondered what GCU might be leaning toward a certain range or other.  No problem, I will find what I need when I need it.  

Have a wonderful New Year!

Bright

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2014, 10:45am

Mindy, I have a few questions.  

Why if you delete an old card would there not be room for a new card? Things like Graduation Card trends and Chinese New Year Cards change each year. Why would people who've reached the limit of 15,000 not be able to delete the old and add new more current cards?

I can understand having a certain amount due to bandwidth or something, but once the card is deleted doesn't that free up space? I'm not near the total of 10,000, but just curious.

Also, those who reach 15.000 then would no longer basically be a creative artist at GCU, because they are stuck with what they already created and unable to create more, right?

Also, I don't understand that the total allowed is submissions and not actual cards in the store. Why should someone be penalized if they have submitted four cards and only one was approved and is in their store?  

Just trying to understand.

Email   IP Logged
Jane_144775
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2014, 10:52am

Thank you for the updates Mindy  Smiley

I don't know that I will ever reach that many either and would like to know about the two stores combined as well.

Thank you for the continued support and color tip.  Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Email   IP Logged
Jane_144775
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2014, 10:56am

Good questions Sherry.  I was wondering the same thing  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2014, 11:03am

Opening a second store solely because you've reached the store size limit is not permitted and will need to be reviewed by GCU for express permission granted on an exception basis.  

This is from Mindy's orginal post, cut and pasted

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2014, 11:08am

Another question.

If I submit a card and it's returned for edits and I resubmit it, is that considered one submission or two in your tally of 15,000?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2014, 12:03pm

Quote from Betsy_145102 on Dec 30th, 2014, 6:16am:
Mindy, Thanks for sharing the news! I agree, Laura, I don't know if I will ever hit that mark!
I do have a question, Mindy. I have 2 stores. Are they considered separate when counting submissions or will the total of the 2 stores be combined to go towards the 15,000? I assume since you are allowing grandfathered in artists to open a second store that they are separate, but I figured I would ask just to be sure. Happy New Year!

Hi Betsy,
Yes, these would be considered separate.

Happy New Year!  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.