Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Question about People Images (Read 2660 times)
Julia_269112

Question about People Images
Oct 10th, 2014, 8:51am

I want to make sure I understand the rights to use the images from sites like Pixabay and Morguefile. If the image has a person or people in them, can we still use them freely as a public domain image? I read different things about using the images from those types of sites as you can freely and I also read you need a model release. I've read all the posts on TOU and related topics on the community blog, but now I'm more confused  Grin

Thank you in advance,
Julia

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Question about People Images
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2014, 9:33am

Quote from Julia_269112 on Oct 10th, 2014, 8:51am:
I want to make sure I understand the rights to use the images from sites like Pixabay and Morguefile. If the image has a person or people in them, can we still use them freely as a public domain image? I read different things about using the images from those types of sites as you can freely and I also read you need a model release. I've read all the posts on TOU and related topics on the community blog, but now I'm more confused  Grin

Thank you in advance,
Julia

Hi Julia,

If the person is recognizable, YOU MAY NOT use the image (Public Domain or not) unless it clearly notes that a Model Release was obtained.

If the person is not recognizable, you can probably use the image in your derivative.

Hope that helps  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Julia_269112

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2014, 10:41am

Perfect! Thank you for clearing that up for me  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2014, 11:07am

You're welcome, Julia Smiley

And, BTW, that rule goes for any project on any site. Commercial use of a recognizable person without a model release is simply not allowed in the photography industry ... period.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.