Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Contacting GCU Support (Read 1220 times)
Julie_273348

Contacting GCU Support
Sep 22nd, 2014, 6:51am

I haven't received a response to my posting of 11th September "Keywords on store front - error". Is there some other process I should be using to contact GCU Support to get this fixed?

Thank you.

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Re: Contacting GCU Support
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 7:08am

It's best to contact GCU Directly via e-mail - ArtistServices@greetingcarduniverse.com

Email   IP Logged
Jan_234320

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 7:18am

I remember your first post, isn't it you want to use some German keywords?
Why do you want to do this? First of all, GCU is a U.S.A. based webstore and nobody will use foreign languages to search cards. Secondly, when using a search engine (Google) keywords are automatically translated. Last but not least when a customer search for example "Café" and types "cafe" he/she will find both. Search engines make no difference in this.  

GCU uses also fonts that don't support always foreign letters. So it isn't an error.
When you want to use German keywords, you can best write them without accents etc ...

Jan

By the way, your cards are lovely

Email   IP Logged
Monica_138175
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 8:18am

Quote from Jan_234320 on Sep 22nd, 2014, 7:18am:
I remember your first post, isn't it you want to use some German keywords?
Why do you want to do this? First of all, GCU is a U.S.A. based webstore and nobody will use foreign languages to search cards. Secondly, when using a search engine (Google) keywords are automatically translated. Last but not least when a customer search for example "Café" and types "cafe" he/she will find both. Search engines make no difference in this.

GCU uses also fonts that don't support always foreign letters. So it isn't an error.
When you want to use German keywords, you can best write them without accents etc ...

Jan

By the way, your cards are lovely

If may object, Jan Wink we're in times of global internet, and it doesn't matter where companies are based - they still can have customers all over the world. As for automatic translations, you better forget about that, as it does not always come out in acceptable ways...  

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:26am

Thank you so much for the compliment Jan!

I think my immediate workaround will be to drop accents from any keywords I use in future. But I still need to fix the presentation of keywords on my storefront for cards already approved that I can’t now go back and edit. So I will use the email contact you suggest.

These comments have got me thinking. Is it the case that GCU only has English speaking customers, located in America?  I had been imagining that I was preparing cards for both native English and German speakers, mostly located in the US, but perhaps some international customers as well.  Am I wrong about this? Are there any demographics available to help us bear in mind our potential customers while we design?

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:30am

Oops. I meant to say Thank You Diana for the email information.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 5:57pm

Quote from Julie_273348 on Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:26am:

These comments have got me thinking. Is it the case that GCU only has English speaking customers, located in America?  I had been imagining that I was preparing cards for both native English and German speakers, mostly located in the US, but perhaps some international customers as well.  Am I wrong about this? Are there any demographics available to help us bear in mind our potential customers while we design?

Hi, Julie,

As Monica mentioned, GCU sells cards to people all over the world, though most of my sales come from the US, UK and Australia.  But I've sold cards to people in Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Japan, etc.  Just because someone is a citizen or resident of the US (or any country) doesn't mean that they only speak English and/or only want cards with English text.  And sometimes people who speak English as their first language, do need cards in another language to send to friends and relatives abroad.  It makes sense to create cards in different languages, especially if you speak and write another language fluently.

So design away!

Regarding the key word issue, unfortunately, I don't have any answers about why they're not displaying correctly for you, but I suspect that Jan is correct.

Good luck!

Penny Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2014, 6:59am

Hi Julie,

This is reviewer 758. I am not tech support but I can share that we generally caution artists to not use non-english characters in their keywords and title areas. Websites are a constantly evolving entity and coding changes frequently, such changes can cause accents and other non-english characters in those areas to not display correctly. The best insurance against this is to simply use an english letter without the accent so any website updates do not affect the presentation of your title and keywords. It is good to include the occasion in both english and non-english in the title and keywords, as GCU is worldwide.

The keywords displaying in your store would reflect the keywords on your cards. You can edit the keywords on approved cards from your manage cards page by choosing edit on the cards in question and I believe this should take care of that.

We also encourage artists to include an english translation in the artist notes to assist english speaking shoppers looking for non-english cards to give to others as Penny noted.

I hope this helps everyone.
Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2014, 7:35am

Thank you so much, that's great advice. I was afraid we couldn't amend our keywords once cards had been approved so it is a relief to find that we can. I have gone back in and changed them as you suggested, and edited the cards I have coming through the pipeline.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.