Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Question for Doreen re websites (Read 2621 times)
CAROL_243890

Question for Doreen re websites
Sep 19th, 2014, 8:56pm

Hi Doreen,

I don't have a website, and my Facebook page is practically non existent,   Huh  I'd like to change all that so I can advertise my store. Some time back you mentioned a good starter website to use. I think you said it was one you used in the early days, which was free, but you couldn't sell from, this would suit me fine. Could you give me that again. Also can you put that widget thing on a Facebook page?

In all my years as an artist, all my work came to me through word of mouth, and I'm very much in the dark re websites, Facebook, pinterest, blogging etc.  embarrassed  I didn't even know what a POD site was, 'till I came here ... by accident.  Do you have any articles like maybe ... the internet for dummies???

Something like the article you had on printing terminology, last week. I knew a lot of that already, but still found it very helpful. So I guess I'm looking for a baby steps guide to all this, with easy explanations on terminology, just like the printer article.

Thanks,  Carol  Smiley
I'm very embarrassed to admit how much I don't understand re all this ... I must be the only one left on the planet. I think I may have just about been the last person to sign up for Facebook.!!!  Huh

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Re: Question for Doreen re websites
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2014, 10:07pm

Removed Post.  Error -

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2014, 8:29am

Oh Carol, I just now saw this post ... I am SO SORRY!  I wasn't ignoring you, honest.  Don't know how I missed it!

Carol asked:

I don't have a website, and my Facebook page is practically non existent,   Huh  I'd like to change all that so I can advertise my store. Some time back you mentioned a good starter website to use. I think you said it was one you used in the early days, which was free, but you couldn't sell from, this would suit me fine. Could you give me that again. Also can you put that widget thing on a Facebook page?

Doreen: The website creator is Weebly. You can sign up for free and you'll have a few features that you can't use unless you get a pro site, but the Pro site is only $4.95 a month or something like that and allows you up to 10 websites/blogs - so it's really a bargain should you like your free site and want to upgrade (which is what I did).

If you take the time to go through their tutorials, Weebly is a wonderfully easy 'drag and drop' module style website creator that is easy to learn and makes the non-techie's web presence look professional Smiley

No, you can't put the GCU widget on Facebook, but you would be able to add it to your website should you decide to go that route.

Carol said:
In all my years as an artist, all my work came to me through word of mouth, and I'm very much in the dark re websites, Facebook, pinterest, blogging etc.  embarrassed  I didn't even know what a POD site was, 'till I came here ... by accident.  Do you have any articles like maybe ... the internet for dummies??? Something like the article you had on printing terminology, last week. I knew a lot of that already, but still found it very helpful. So I guess I'm looking for a baby steps guide to all this, with easy explanations on terminology, just like the printer article.

Doreen:  I don't have such an article, but I will think about it and see if I can come up with something like that Smiley

In the mean time, I would say don't spend a lot of time trying to market on Facebook. They have made it nearly impossible for the small business person to even get seen without paying for advertising. Put your energies into learning Weebly and creating your own site with blog - and focus on Pinterest which is doing very well as a promotion tool for many of us.

Next time you don't hear from me, please feel free to contact me through my store or through the forum contact - know that I would NEVER intentionally ignore something directed to me Smiley

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2014, 10:17am

Hi Doreen,

No problem!!  Grin
I didn't know if directing the question to you was over stepping things, as you give us so much help already ... you need time to be creative yourself.   Smiley

Thanks for all that info ... I knew you'd have some tips and answers for me.  

I will definitely sign up for Weebly, I'm grand when there are good tutorials. My niece said she'd help me with Pinterest.

Thanks again, Carol

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2014, 10:35am

Quote from CAROL_243890 on Oct 14th, 2014, 10:17am:
Hi Doreen,

No problem!!  Grin
I didn't know if directing the question to you was over stepping things, as you give us so much help already ... you need time to be creative yourself.   Smiley

Thanks for all that info ... I knew you'd have some tips and answers for me.  

I will definitely sign up for Weebly, I'm grand when there are good tutorials. My niece said she'd help me with Pinterest.

Thanks again, Carol  

You are very welcome and I'm always willing to help if I can Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.