Pages: 1 2 3 
New On-site Search (Read 6395 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: New On-site Search
Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2014, 12:04pm

Quote from Steppeland_231500 on Aug 27th, 2014, 11:35pm:
Wow, that looks really great, Mindy! I also gave it a try out, and am surprised how quickly and efficiently the search engine presents the first 6 pop-up results, even with only a few letters of the word typed in. I first tried some random keywords and keyword-sets, and the initial selection of 6 cards was quite varied too. Then I accidentally misspelled 'tea' and typed 'thee' instead - and guess what, I got some results for that too : Not what I expected, but some cards that have 'the Lord bless thee' or similar phrases in the inside text. That's great, since it shows that one could search for much less obvious keywords too. I wonder if the engine now or later would be able to suggest spelling-corrected keywords too, like google does: "No search results for 'thee' - did you mean 'tea' ?" - May come in handy for people like me LOL .
In de sidebar, the categories 'Number of photo's' and 'Adult' are confusing to me. In first instance, I would think it's cards with adults on them, or cards for adults, so I would look for a category 'Child' or 'children' then too... oops  Wink
Any way, great improvement - keep it going! Smiley

Good points, thank you!

We will be modifying the filter labels for Adult and Photos to be more intuitive, thanks!

As for the term typos.  Currently if no cards are found with a given term (which is often the case with a random typo) the shopper is asked if they mean xyz.  See the following that resulted in a search for "birfday":

Did you mean: birthday
Search was unable to find any results for "birtfday". You may have typed your word incorrectly, or are being too specific.
Try using a broader search phrase or try one of our most popular search phrases.

If it's a term that has matches like "thee" it is unlikely to provide alternative suggestions.

Additionally the tool will be learn more & more over time.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #16 - Aug 28th, 2014, 12:08pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 28th, 2014, 11:24am:
Hi Mindy,

It was in the new little pop up, but it must have been a fluke because the term was Husband Anniversary and when I just entered that search again, I got different cards ... so no worries Smiley

and thank you Smiley

Quote from Mindy on Aug 28th, 2014, 10:57am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 27th, 2014, 6:36pm:

... I found the immediate selection of 9 to either be all the same artist/same card in one search ...

Hi Doreen,
Can you be more specific?  Were these in the pop up or in the page results?

If you can provide your exact search terms so we can replicate would be helpful, thank you!

... happy early Anniversary! Wink

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #17 - Aug 28th, 2014, 11:29pm

It seems MUCH better Mindy.I am especially pleased if the "Most popular" is omitted, as I think all the rest will never bee seen otherwise, as I can't imagine anyone looking at the last of the "Most popular" cards! Are they shuffled each time they come up? I think this would be a great feature, as then, everyone has more of a chance of their cards getting a look in!
Thanks Mary.

Email   IP Logged
Jan_234320

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2014, 3:34am

Quote from Mindy on Aug 28th, 2014, 11:15am:
Quote from Jan_234320 on Aug 27th, 2014, 11:29pm:
Sorry to say but I'm really dissappointed.

For example I have 21 cards in the category Birthday/adult/80 and through the category search they all appear but when I search with the keywords adult, 80 (and I checked, all 21 cards have these keywords) only 2 show up. Sad

Only 2 of 21 of my cards  Tongue  and this not only with these keywords and category also with holiday cards and others.
(I've done this kind of test search regurarly before with the old search system to see if everything is working and to constantly improve my cards, keywords etc ... and I know every card showed up.)

Also I notice that with the example of search Birthday/adult/80 you get cards with all kind of ages and not only adult cards.

I've done a very simple search trough my manage card search engine with the keyword ' sexy ' and the result was 2.013 cards. When I do this same keyword with the new engine the result is only 208 cards made by me. This is for me the prove that the search engine missed 1.805 cards. The keyword is on these 1.805 cards but the customer can not find them.

I really hope this is due to the fact that the search engine needs time to crawl all cards so it will works better over time.

Jan

Hi Jan,
A few mentions that I think resolve / answer your questions ...

1. to see all 21 of your cards in your search for "adult birthday 80" you'll need to check the Adult Yes to display the adult content cards.  This includes the 19 plus the 2 for your 21.

We will look more closely on how this filter & field can work more intuitively.

2. the search logic within artists' storefronts remains the same ... the old search logic, it will not behave the same as the new global storefront search.

3. We will look more closely at the logic for birthday/adult/80 resulting in cards for other 80s ages.  Good catch!  I notice when the search is for "80th" it is pretty pure.

** Upon closer inspection ** by search logic this is not an error.  the other age cards displayed have "eighty" in their keywords as in "eighty five".  Over time the other relevant cards (80) will rise to the top.  In the interim we will see if the search logic can be modified to adjust for matching a partial phrase like this.

4. As for the resulting cards for "Sexy" this is attributed to the Adult flag again.  I can search for "Sexy" then filter for Jan Keteleer, check YES for adult cards which results in 2,063 cards.

Thanks for your input and for helping us identify areas of improvement!

Thank you for your response Mindy,

I realize that this new search tool has to "learn" a lot so please see the following as feedback not criticism.  Wink

I see that there are now check boxes on the below left side when using the search engine indicating Adult  yes / No instead of the Hide/Show adult cards above the cards using the old engine. For me, and I'm used to use the GCU site, it is hard to find the new checkboxes and I think a customer will not know what the use of these boxes are.

It is also weird when you search with the keyword Adult that the result is a lot of Adult cards but when you check the Yes box you will see another result. In my case, I have in every age 21 cards and the first result only 3 cards appear, when checking the Yes box, 18 cards appear and when checking the 2 boxes (Yes and No together) all 21 cards appear. So what is the difference between an adult card and an adult card?

To be honest the old "show/hide adult cards" seems to me more intuitive.  

I realize that a customer must search specific for adult cards but at this moment it is even for me almost impossible to find them.

Hope this will change soon.

Jan

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2014, 12:54pm

Quote from Jan_234320 on Aug 29th, 2014, 3:34am:
Quote from Mindy on Aug 28th, 2014, 11:15am:
Quote from Jan_234320 on Aug 27th, 2014, 11:29pm:
Sorry to say but I'm really dissappointed.

For example I have 21 cards in the category Birthday/adult/80 and through the category search they all appear but when I search with the keywords adult, 80 (and I checked, all 21 cards have these keywords) only 2 show up. Sad

Only 2 of 21 of my cards  Tongue  and this not only with these keywords and category also with holiday cards and others.
(I've done this kind of test search regurarly before with the old search system to see if everything is working and to constantly improve my cards, keywords etc ... and I know every card showed up.)

Also I notice that with the example of search Birthday/adult/80 you get cards with all kind of ages and not only adult cards.

I've done a very simple search trough my manage card search engine with the keyword ' sexy ' and the result was 2.013 cards. When I do this same keyword with the new engine the result is only 208 cards made by me. This is for me the prove that the search engine missed 1.805 cards. The keyword is on these 1.805 cards but the customer can not find them.

I really hope this is due to the fact that the search engine needs time to crawl all cards so it will works better over time.

Jan

Hi Jan,
A few mentions that I think resolve / answer your questions ...

1. to see all 21 of your cards in your search for "adult birthday 80" you'll need to check the Adult Yes to display the adult content cards.  This includes the 19 plus the 2 for your 21.

We will look more closely on how this filter & field can work more intuitively.

2. the search logic within artists' storefronts remains the same ... the old search logic, it will not behave the same as the new global storefront search.

3. We will look more closely at the logic for birthday/adult/80 resulting in cards for other 80s ages.  Good catch!  I notice when the search is for "80th" it is pretty pure.

** Upon closer inspection ** by search logic this is not an error.  the other age cards displayed have "eighty" in their keywords as in "eighty five".  Over time the other relevant cards (80) will rise to the top.  In the interim we will see if the search logic can be modified to adjust for matching a partial phrase like this.

4. As for the resulting cards for "Sexy" this is attributed to the Adult flag again.  I can search for "Sexy" then filter for Jan Keteleer, check YES for adult cards which results in 2,063 cards.

Thanks for your input and for helping us identify areas of improvement!

Thank you for your response Mindy,

I realize that this new search tool has to "learn" a lot so please see the following as feedback not criticism.  Wink

I see that there are now check boxes on the below left side when using the search engine indicating Adult  yes / No instead of the Hide/Show adult cards above the cards using the old engine. For me, and I'm used to use the GCU site, it is hard to find the new checkboxes and I think a customer will not know what the use of these boxes are.

It is also weird when you search with the keyword Adult that the result is a lot of Adult cards but when you check the Yes box you will see another result. In my case, I have in every age 21 cards and the first result only 3 cards appear, when checking the Yes box, 18 cards appear and when checking the 2 boxes (Yes and No together) all 21 cards appear. So what is the difference between an adult card and an adult card?

To be honest the old "show/hide adult cards" seems to me more intuitive.

I realize that a customer must search specific for adult cards but at this moment it is even for me almost impossible to find them.

Hope this will change soon.

Jan

We are taking a critical look at the presentation and function of the Adult filter to make it more intuitive.  Your feedback is helpful, thank you.  First we will likely relabel Adult to Adult Content or Adult Cards and change the Yes and No to something like used on the category pages Show and Hide.  Lastly, we need to clearly set (check) a default so it functions / presents itself more naturally. This would prevent you having to check both boxes to see all cards.

Related but separate is the treatment of "adult" via search terms vs "adult" via the filter check box.  These function differently as any card with the term "adult" in the metadata will be matched for a search for "adult".  The filter is based on an adult flag that has been assigned to a card(s) that will only be presented when the shopper asks for them to be included (show adult content).  

Rule of thumb is content with nudity, profanity and sexual content will be flagged as adult.

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2014, 1:58pm

Hi Mindy,

I'm really disappointed with the new search engine too. I wasn't going to say anything, and just give it a while but I'm finding it's not working for me either, or helping my cards any. It's not just the Adult cards as Jan mentioned, it's all sorts of cards and occasions that I'm finding hard to locate now. Too many to mention. But here's one example.  
A December Birthday for Someone Special.  It's there the old way on page 2 (girl in red hat) or the first card on page one under newest, so it's easy to find.  
The new way when I type in December Birthday, it's no where to be found. 8 or 9 cards come up and it's not one of them.  
So I typed in the actual complete full title, (which a customer is not going to know) December Birthday Wishes to Someone Special.  Just one card came up, and I don't think its even a December Birthday. A very cute Christmas card of penguins.  
Last year as I'd only just joined late October, my Christmas cards were only going in to my shop as late as December, so I just did one or two titles of each design to get started. There wasn't enough time to do loads of titles of each. That red hat as a christmas card sold from the day I put it in, and in the short time I had to sell for Christmas, it sold every day. So this year I'm adding a lot more titles to those Christmas cards. But this year I feel that same design is just lost in the new search engine. Also I find that when a new card goes in and it doesn't land on the first couple of pages, the fact that its on page one of newest for a while helps greatly to give it exposure.  
Like Jan said, I appreciate what you are all trying to do, and I don't want to sound ungrateful or negative, I'm just disappointed. I was happy enough with the old way. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I typed in the actual card title loads of times and still, just the one card came up. This happened with a few designs.

Sorry to sound negative, I'm just really disappointed, as like everyone, I spend so much time on the keywords and artists notes.
Carol undecided

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #21 - Aug 29th, 2014, 2:18pm

Just a note. The card thats popping up when I look for December Birthday, is from the category Birthday on Christmas, which is a different category, and not the same as December Birthday.  Smiley

Just thought I'd mention it.
PS. Its a really cute card, I'm not knocking it, just wondering where all the others are??  Smiley
Carol

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2014, 9:34pm

Will it have the yellow arrow, for the custom photo and text cards? (I hope so)
Thanks, M
ary.

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2014, 11:55pm

Hi Mary, Mindy answers that on page #1 of this post.

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Jan_234320

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2014, 5:48am

[/quote]

We are taking a critical look at the presentation and function of the Adult filter to make it more intuitive.  Your feedback is helpful, thank you.  First we will likely relabel Adult to Adult Content or Adult Cards and change the Yes and No to something like used on the category pages Show and Hide.  Lastly, we need to clearly set (check) a default so it functions / presents itself more naturally. This would prevent you having to check both boxes to see all cards.

Related but separate is the treatment of "adult" via search terms vs "adult" via the filter check box.  These function differently as any card with the term "adult" in the metadata will be matched for a search for "adult".  The filter is based on an adult flag that has been assigned to a card(s) that will only be presented when the shopper asks for them to be included (show adult content).  

Rule of thumb is content with nudity, profanity and sexual content will be flagged as adult.
[/quote]

Thank you Mindy,

I'll really appreciate if you could do this

Jan

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2014, 8:24am

A search for 'red cardinal birds' and 'red cardinal' turned up 4-5 pages of virtually the same image, out of over 1000 results for those searches. At 4-5 pages, (15 per page), some other images were finally showing as well, but with some of them also repeating.  Either those images will sell more and more, because who has the energy or time to search further, or, the shopper leaves in frustration. (Never mind that my own cardinal card had not shown by the 12th page of results!  
But, with my name in the search, of course it showed.)

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:20am by Catinka_133492 »  
Email   IP Logged
Jan_234320

Reply #26 - Sep 2nd, 2014, 2:46am

I think the search engine is learning, I did som tests with different keywords (not especially searching my own cards) and got different results on Saturday, Sunday and today.

So I think with a little patience ...

Always remember: GCU and we (the artists) have one common thing ... We want to sell

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:48am by Jan_234320 »  
Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #27 - Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:16am

Endless repeats of the same image on a search is my main complaint. The image turning up 7 out of 15 results on the first page of search results, still turns up in the 23rd page of results. Quite a few other images repeat continually as well. If you set your search for the maximum number of images, 120, you will still be slogging thru too much stuff - the same stuff. It is akin to going into a retail store where every single item is spread out on acres of tables instead of stacked on shelves or in bins.

Email   IP Logged
CAROL_243890

Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:33am

Actually, I think I may have spoken too soon in my previous posts. Over the weekend I've been doing test searches, and the cards I looked for did come up ... mine and other artists.  
And the card I previously mentioned that I couldn't find, is coming up now.  Smiley

So I apologise for knocking it on the head so quickly. I admit I don't understand how search engines work, I've a lot to learn in that area.  Wink

Carol

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:36am

14 rows of the same image, (14x3=43), and all the rest of another image, (c. 77), on the third or fourth page of search results, set to show 120 results. The search - 'red cardinal'.  

It would seem that images could have one id# and the overall card another id#.  

I misunderstood about being allowed to reuse  images so many times.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.