Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Image quality (Read 5416 times)
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Image quality
Aug 22nd, 2014, 6:37am

Most of my cards are registering as poor quality. I don't know how to make them best quality. Where can I find information that will guide me with this? Thank you.

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Re: Image quality
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 7:22am

What program did you make it in?

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:13am

Check your image size and dpi. 5x7 inches or 1500 x 2100 pixels and 300 dpi or pixels per inch works great.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:22am

Hi Renee,

This blog post and the links within the post will help you understand how to make improvements, the right way, on your end.

Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 11:41am

The cards that I have a problem with I have made in Illustrator. Then I take them into PhotoShop, and make them a jpeg. The largest size I am able to save them is about 230 dpi. Is there something I could do differently here?

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 3:42pm

Quote from Renee_256728 on Aug 22nd, 2014, 11:41am:
The cards that I have a problem with I have made in Illustrator. Then I take them into PhotoShop, and make them a jpeg. The largest size I am able to save them is about 230 dpi. Is there something I could do differently here?

I don't know enough about Illustrator to say for certain but I think you can "export" your file from there as a JPG and that might help fix your issue.

Email   IP Logged
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 6:50pm

Doreen, Maybe I'm not very savvy but how do I find the blog post you mention? Thanks.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 7:06pm

Quote from Renee_256728 on Aug 22nd, 2014, 6:50pm:
Doreen, Maybe I'm not very savvy but how do I find the blog post you mention? Thanks.

WOW ... Sorry Renee!  Grin

I did not mean for you to be a detective! I fully intended to put the link in that post! Here ya go ...

http://gcucommunity.com/2013/07/29/dash-of-inspiration-image-quality-resolution/

You may also try this ... rather than saving as a JPG, try saving as a PNG which is a file format which does not use compression.

In Photoshop, when you say you save it to a JPG, what are the settings?  In other words, jpgs for upload like this need to be saved at the highest level (12).

Hopefully one of these things will help!

Email   IP Logged
Ron_196382

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2014, 9:58am

Hi Renee,
I create all my cards in Illustrator then take into Photoshop. Here's my steps.
1. Create artwork in CMYK mode in Illustrator  
2. Save as Adobe Illustrator (ai) file. Make sure "Create PDF Compatible file" is checked.
3. OPEN the file through Photoshop (don't copy and paste). You'll get a dialogue box where you can enter file specs.  
The "Crop to" should be set to: Trim Box.
Image size should read 5"x7"  
Mode set to: CMYK  
Resolution set to 300  
Make sure Anti-aliased is checked.
4. In Photoshop flatten the image, make color or contrast tweaks if necessary while in CMYK mode then convert to RGB.
5. Save file as JPG with image quality at 12 and format options: Baseline (standard)
I never embed a color profile, but do whats been working for you.
This formula creates a near perfect match to my Illustrator file.

Email   IP Logged
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2014, 7:36am

Thank you for all the suggestions that several of you artists have sent me regarding my image quality. I have tried each one, many I had been doing, to no change in registering image quality.

Ron, thank you for your detailed direction on how to save my images. I did try the things you suggested that I had not been doing. The one suggestion I could not follow was "Create PDF Compatible file". I could not find a place to check that. It did not show up when I did "Save as" in Illustrator. Another consideration, if you have any thoughts on this, is that I am working in the CS2 version of Illustrator. Might that make a difference?

Thank you Doreen for the link to information about getting good image quality. When I view my image at 100% there are no jaggies. So it seems to be just fine but still registers as poor quality.

Any other thoughts anyone has would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2014, 8:02am

Hi Renee
I make all my cards on Photoshop. I size them to 5" x 7" or 7" x 5" and 300 dpi resolution.
Once I'm ready to save the card to my jpeg file. I save file as photoshop jpeg and when the box appears, I make sure I opt for 12 best resolution. Once it's saved as that, I've never had any quality issues with GCU.
Good luck.

Email   IP Logged
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2014, 10:03am

Thank you, Angela. I have tried all of these suggestions with the same result. I'll need to look further. I do appreciate all the help offered.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.