Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Getting Past the "Yellow" (Read 3614 times)
Willaim_132003
artist

Getting Past the "Yellow"
Jun 18th, 2014, 4:42am

I have been working rather diligently on trying to improve my "Google Listing". Is it just me or is it at time imposible to get the "Green Light" on some cards I try every combination I can think of to get a green and just never get past the yellow.  

When I am working on a series of cards the first one or two go o.k., then if I try and keep some of the verbiage the same (since it is a series and the description should somewhat match). All I get is yellow or red. Am I doing something wrong here or is there some special formula in doing this?

Ant thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks,
William

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Getting Past the "Yellow"
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2014, 8:53am

Quote from Willaim_132003 on Jun 18th, 2014, 4:42am:
I have been working rather diligently on trying to improve my "Google Listing". Is it just me or is it at time imposible to get the "Green Light" on some cards I try every combination I can think of to get a green and just never get past the yellow.

When I am working on a series of cards the first one or two go o.k., then if I try and keep some of the verbiage the same (since it is a series and the description should somewhat match). All I get is yellow or red. Am I doing something wrong here or is there some special formula in doing this?

Ant thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thanks,
William

The uniqueness factor judges the card you are working on against YOUR cards not any others, so my bet is that if you are trying to keep the verbiage 'somewhat similar' that is what causes you not not achieve green. For example using the same sentence, but changing a word or two, is not different enough.

I have been able to achieve green on nearly every card even in a series where I have 25+. It's doable, you have to really challenge yourself and dust off all those old English lessons stored in our brains - fortunately for me English/Writing was the only subject other than Art I ever got consistent A-grades.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Willaim_132003
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2014, 9:54am

Hi Doreen,

I do understand how it works and what it is for and I know it is doable,  just checking to see if there may be a method to the madness so to speak.  

If I put some whee in m description "A perfect card for your wife" and then for another card "Your wife will love this meaningful card" I will get a red or yellow ... obviously it is picking up the word "Wife" as repetitive. So coming up with a good alternative to wife or a phrase to state it is for a wife is the challenge ... but with say 30 cards that are for someones wife it takes a while.

Just wondering if there is some formula designers may be using to not have to reword every description several times to get a green since I have a couple of thousand cards to work on ...

Guess it is just hit and miss, thanks for your reply, seems like no one else is interested in any input!?

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:01am

Hi William,
I too find it quite a challenge to come up with descriptions that get the green thumbs up. One thing I have learned is that the tool does not differentiate meaningful words from connecting or less important words in a sentence. For example, in your example below, "your wife" is repeated both times. If you change that around, such as for "a loving wife" for example, it would pass. That type of combination was the last thing that I figured out how to change. I wish there was some magic wand to help us, but we have to be the fairy to make that magic ourselves.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Sue_180701
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:16am

Hi William,
Yes, it is certainly a new challenge to get that green thumbs up, especially with large series. Sandra's example is a great one to go by and it does work!
Have fun!

Email   IP Logged
Sue_180701
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:17am

Oh, and thank you Sandra!  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:26am

Quote from Sandra_133229 on Jun 18th, 2014, 10:01am:
Hi William,
I too find it quite a challenge to come up with descriptions that get the green thumbs up. One thing I have learned is that the tool does not differentiate meaningful words from connecting or less important words in a sentence. For example, in your example below, "your wife" is repeated both times. If you change that around, such as for "a loving wife" for example, it would pass. That type of combination was the last thing that I figured out how to change. I wish there was some magic wand to help us, but we have to be the fairy to make that magic ourselves.  Grin

That's exactly right and what I was trying to say. Thanks for clarifying Sandra  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:35am

Yes, we are all finding the same challenges. William's example gave me a concrete phrase to go by. I am starting to think differently on anything I write in general. For example, "for example" I would need to come up with a different example.   Grin

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2014, 11:37am

I manage to get the green thumbs up, when I change it, but it goes back to yellow when I save it. ?   Rosalie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2014, 11:44am

Quote from Rosalie_136698 on Jun 18th, 2014, 11:37am:
I manage to get the green thumbs up, when I change it, but it goes back to yellow when I save it. ?   Rosalie

That's an entirely different issue:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1401672958/14#14

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2014, 3:04pm

Thanks Doreen, I left a note in that forum.   Rosalie

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.