Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Public Domain Question (Read 2995 times)
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Public Domain Question
Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:18pm

If I use public domain images legally, (from a verified website) in my cards, what do I say in my artist notes? I've never used them before so just wondering!

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Re: Public Domain Question
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:25pm

just say like it is, public domain.  always give a source if other than you, anonymous included.  it is a matter of ethics and honesty.

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Ron_196382

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:55pm

For Creative Commons images you need to read the usage rights for each image, some do vary. In most cases you'll need to give appropriate credit on the product itself whether it be on the front image or back of the card. Some want a link to the license. You can add to or alter the image in most cases but it still falls under the same license, meaning you do not own it and someone else can use the image you created from it. For public domain images the artist has waived all rights, but still may demand a hyperlink to that particular page. A credit on back of the card would be a nice thank you to the artist for sharing their work.

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 3:49pm

Angela, I occasionally use a photo in the Public Domain, so in my Notes to Reviewer I always include the URL from the actual photo and a brief note about it being Free Commercial Use (FCU).
I don't usually go into any explanation in my Artists' Notes, which are read by the buyer, unless I have used and altered an image by a well-known artist like Rembrandt.
The is no way to give credit to a Public Domain artist or photographer on the back of our cards.
Sometimes GCU artists will secretly embed a small reference to the contributing artist in their image itself.

Here's some more info that will help:
http://gcucommunity.com/2012/01/30/dash-of-inspiration-credit-where-credit-is-du e/

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.