Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Stock Card Creations – New GCU Service Soft Launch (Read 44573 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Stock Card Creations – New GCU Service Soft Launch
Nov 22nd, 2013, 5:16pm

In partnership with Bigstock.com, GCU is excited to roll out a soft launch of a new feature - Stock Card Creations.  This targets card creators who are good with words and verse and/or have clever ideas but do not have access to high quality art / images.  

The intent is not to replace the creative artists in our community today but to open the same opportunity to new contributors, different types of contributors.  

Here are some highlights:
1. Access to millions of high-quality stock images licensed by GCU (no charge to card creators)
2. Simple interface to create cards
3. Standard earnings  (these cards are exempt from premium earnings and will not apply to meeting quarterly earnings thresholds)
4. GCU review process and Submission Guidelines apply however since images are “pre qualified” reviews will be much quicker
5. Cards must be marketable & serve less populated and niche categories on GCU.  GCU will decline cards deemed not marketable, considered “more of the same” and with little to no added value.  This will be very subjective.  Simply overlaying “Happy Birthday” over the image of a cake will not pass muster.
6. Cards automatically appear in Private gallery until reviewed
7. Approved cards are limited to this category: “Collections >> Off the Cuff”.  Over time top selling cards may be moved to their functional occasion based category
8. Card visibility relies on self promotion and search (search engines & onsite search) – cards will thrive or not by their metadata (title, keywords, artist notes, etc.)
9. GCU artists can participate within their existing store

See the landing page and complete FAQs here:
www.greetingcarduniverse.com/bigstock

Here is the reserved category (I have added a few of my own examples):
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings

Here’s how you can help:
1. Try it out by creating a few cards (please limit it to 5 cards)  – when logged into your artist account direct your browser to the landing page:  www.greetingcarduniverse.com/bigstock
2. Be patient!  This is still in testing phase so there are bumps and hiccups
3. Report any bugs or significant findings by posting on this thread
4. Supported on Firefox and Chrome.  It is not supported on Internet Explorer.

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you in advance for those that give this a go.

** 11/23 Updates **
1. Inside text is defaulted (font, size, color, alignment) but can be edited after via Manage Cards
2. All elements of the card can be edited EXCEPT the image.  For image edits you'll need to re-create the card from scratch.
3. these cards will be set as "Card Front: Stock" vs Standard / Custom.  On Manage Cards you'll see on the left Search Cards we've added a By Card Front.
4. Image by "unknown" appears to be a bug, we will look into correcting this  

** 11/25 Update **
Creation temporarily disabled while we make some important fixes - please stay tuned.  We'll let you know when it's turned back on, thank you!

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013, 2:58pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Re: Stock Card Creations – New GCU Service Soft La
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:14pm

Hello

This email has self destructed for being written by a rinky dink at 3am,
please move along as it is now a shell of it's former self

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013, 6:13am by Tanya_135475 »  
Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:27pm

Probably a stupid question, but is it okay to dismantle images and do what we want with them?

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_137209
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:44pm

The landing page does not work with Internet Explorer

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:00pm

Quote from Sandra_137209 on Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:44pm:
The landing page does not work with Internet Explorer

Sandra,

Mindy's note says that it doesn't support IE.  Try Firefox, works fine.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:03pm

Fun, Mindy!  Nice idea and way to expand GCU's offerings Smiley

I made one for a needed category on the landing page.  
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings/Firefighter- Birthday-Card-Humorous-Sexy-1191628?gcu=43045123714

I do have some questions/suggestions:

- I could not find any way to delete a text box if I decided I didn't need it and when you click start over, you literally have to go get an image again. So something in between would be nice Smiley

- I could not find a way to choose font size or alignment of text.  Did I miss something or is that not currently offered?

Edit:  Never mind, it just didn't work on the last card, but the option box did appear on the next card to change fonts and sizes Smiley

Here is #2: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings/Jack-Russell -Terrier-Dog-Funny-Birthday-Card-1191630?gcu=43045123714

Very nice idea, I'll enjoy playing with this a bit  

Edit again: Okay, I have made my 5 - http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/SalonOfArt_private

The only addition I would add to the above is that it would be nice to be able to go back and edit after the card is in our private gallery. The 'biker chick' card, I would like the text to be up a bit more and I can't go back and fix it ... unless I'm missing something Smiley

Still think it's a wonderful idea Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:11pm by Doreen_137017 »  
Email   IP Logged
Sherry_248508
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:14pm

I can't thank you enough for this!  I'm not a fabulous artist, but I do write verses well.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:32pm

Wow, this is very interesting! Just got home from work and saw this post. Wish I could start creating right now but must go to sleep. Too tired to make sense of anything. Thanks Mindy for this awesome addition to GCU!

Email   IP Logged
Nancy_142840
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:51pm

One question

I made a card and is in my private cards now

How does it get reviewed if it is in my private cards?

heres the card I made

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings/Merry-Christ mas-Santa-stuck-in-Chimney-card-1191660?aid=142840

Email   IP Logged
Christi_179654
artist

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 9:26pm

I should be in bed now, too, but did manage to make one card:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings/Unleash-Your -Potential-Encouragement-1191676?aid=179654

This is fun.

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:04pm

Thank You Mindy and Staff.  
Love it ... great idea!

Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:29pm

I have dozens of pictures for sale on Big Stock, many of which I have used to make cards for sale. I am emailing Big Stock about what sort of licensing they are selling for these cards.
I am alarmed to think that my own pictures can be used to compete with the cards I have already made.

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_134335
artist

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:48pm

So fun searching the images.  

With my extreme passion for working with fonts, > My Question:  
I guess we can not put the image into something like Adobe Illustrator and create visually fabulous text for the image ?  
 Smiley That's want I'd love to do.

Email   IP Logged
Jan_234320

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2013, 2:06am

Here is my (first) contribution on this idea.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/offthecuffgreetings/Mosquito-wit h-a-Personal-Message-1191756?aid=234320

The interface to create cards works easy and it is good for artists with no photo and/or drawing skills like Mindy said.  
I like new ideas however I have a question about the conflict with the rules of GCU and Bigstock.
These are all Royalty Free images and a standard Royalty Free license does permit to use images commercially, to promote a product or service but not to resale the image as it is for example on a poster or greeting card. So are these images licensed to do this?  
I have also, like Norma, accounts on different stock agencies and I also do not want to compete against my own pictures. undecided
On the GCU site, I learned that you may not use a picture from someone else but you have to derivate it and give credit to the original artist. Not to put just a text on it.

Bottom line: I like new ideas like this but I am an artist who creates his own images and verses and have some questions.  lips sealed

I'm sure these questions will be answered so GCU congratulations with your idea and thanks for creating new ways to distribute our art.

Jan

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2013, 3:46am

Hello

Ah such fun, now I am awake I get it  

Although text problems for me, I made the first card it wen't super easy
so decide on a roll go for the next one, unfortunately everything worked good
except, I could not change fonts etc, it seemed to have jammed it allowed me to
make text but only move it around.

Hope this is helpefull

And my 5 are da da daaaaa

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/moonlakedesigns_private

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013, 5:32am by Tanya_135475 »  
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.