Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Large Order Earnings Increase - Effective 10/1/13 (Read 11517 times)
Nasser_16
GCU Administrator
CEO

Large Order Earnings Increase - Effective 10/1/13
Sep 27th, 2013, 2:44pm

Greetings GCU artists,

I will be clear and to the point.  This is by no means a concession to the rampant and often vicious complaints and demands by artists on the earnings modifications and thresholds announced in July 2013.  Although we welcome artists suggestions and are sensitive to their needs this is a private company and not a democracy.  GCU will not be bullied or threatened into establishing company prices or policies based on artists’ demands.

Long in the works has been an adjustment of artists’ earnings rate on large quantity sales (200 cards and more).  The lower earnings rates on these large quantity sales has long been a point of contention.  Coupled with the recent earnings modifications and thresholds the disparity has been magnified.

Starting 10/01/13 (Q4), GCU will be increasing the artists’ earnings rate for larger orders (200 cards and more) from 6% and 5%, to 7.5%.   For premium earnings (artists meeting the minimum thresholds) the increase will be from 12% and 10%, to 15%.    

For example, the impact for a 500 card sale ($1.49 per card) would be:
Current Earnings
Standard Earnings (5%) = 7.5 cents / card  =  total earnings $37.25
Premium Earnings (10%)  = 15 cents / card = total earnings $74.50

Earnings Effective 10/01/13:
Standard Earnings (7.5%) =11 cents / card  = total earnings $55.88
Premium Earnings (15%) = 22 cents / card = total earnings $111.75

Specifically:

This should not only more fairly compensate all artists included in a large sale but overall help artists reach the quarterly thresholds plus benefit artists with the bigger boost of earnings in the near term, 4th quarter, when larger holiday card sales are more prevalent.

This does not change any elements of the earnings modifications announced in July 2013:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372702066

Thank you for your continued support,
Nasser

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Re: Large Order Earnings Increase - Effective 10/1
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2013, 2:58pm

Nasser,

Thank you for the update and the new pricing structure.

Lar

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2013, 3:09pm

May I just say with respect, "WOW!"  Thank you for making it clear that we are working FOR you and not WITH you.  I don't really know why I am reeling right now.  You've been trying to tell us that for quite a while now, I was just too naive to believe it.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2013, 3:18pm

That is a big improvement on the artists’ earnings rate on large quantity sales, Nasser, and great that it is implemented as of the start of the 4th quarter - where one can expect most large quantity sales.  
Thank you!  

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2013, 3:22pm

Thank you Nasser and Mindy!

This is welcomed and appreciated news, and no doubt one of those changes being worked on that were 'still to come' which Mindy eluded to when the earnings restructuring was announced back in July.  

Many, thanks to all of you at GCU!

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2013, 3:59pm

Thank you Nasser and Mindy.  Rosalie

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:12pm

Thank you, Nasser (and Mindy, too!)

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Nasser_16
GCU Administrator
CEO

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:18pm

Thank you for your positive replies  Smiley

We do work collectively as a team so that implies “with” vs “for”.   GCU would not have a business without our artist community and vice versa (or other PODs like GCU).  However GCU is the business owner taking on many of the risks/expenses and therefore has the final say on matters / operations / business decisions.     That’s just the way it is and should not be a surprise.

There are many different ways for artists to sell their art on greeting cards.  GCU is not the only show in town.  Each artist is really in charge of their own independent business and needs to decide what is the best fit for them.  

Email   IP Logged
Susan_142450
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:26pm

I'm not entirely clear why Nasser has to make sure that we don't think the complaining had anything to do with the change in policy.  Huh  

Interestingly, that sort of disconnect is what many corporations have trouble with. I often feel as though GCU's attitude is that we are a nuisance with too many complaints.

It is important to note that as in all businesses, private or public, big or small, there is a symbiotic relationship between you, and your clients, suppliers and customers.  
I'm a freelancer, for nearly 25 years. People think I work for myself (I'm a private corporation right?) - but I don't. I work for my clients and if I'm doing something they don't like I'm going to hear about it. If I don't change, I'm going to lose clients. Those clients are going to tell other people about me and I'm going to have trouble getting new clients.  

My point is - no one in this process is an island. No one should feel above listening to complaints and making adjustments. It's not a sign of weakness to change your mind

However the decision making came about, it will likely go a long way to smoothing over some bad feelings.  

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:33pm

Thank you Nasser, and Mindy, for all the work you put into keeping this company competitive and providing the opportunity for all of us.

The new pricing for bulk orders is much appreciated.

Pamela Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:34pm

Nasser, thank you for the adjustment.  

This comment actually saddens me:

Quote from Nasser_16 on Sep 27th, 2013, 4:18pm:
GCU is not the only show in town. 

Don't you want GCU to be the "Best Show in Town"?  I think that's why things have been so stressed as of late and so many questions and frustrations came up and a feeling of that partnership falling apart.  

With this being said, it' is my hope things steady out with a rejoining of efforts and partnership in unity between us all.  

Email   IP Logged
Susan_142450
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2013, 4:53pm

You know what would be really awesome Nasser? If the WIKI (and every other nook and cranny on the website got updated. There would be less confusion and more realistic expectations for newbies and oldies alike.

http://www.gcuwiki.com/artistfaqs.html

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2013, 5:19pm

AS a former employer who had to eat pancakes while their employees got paid twice the minimum wage, I do understand that you have expenses. I, in fact, commented  on that in the thread when the new earnings modifications were announced.  I am grateful for the opportunity that I've had with GCU,  I especially appreciate Mindy and the other artists who helped me grow.  I came alot farther than I ever expected, and I will always have that.  I know I don't have what it takes to be a success in financial terms, I can't handle it physically, mentally or emotionally.  I so admire people like Doreen and Tracie who have grown so much and whose work never ceases to amaze me.  I'm glad to have been a part of it for as long as I have.  I just don't have what it takes to survive the business.  I will stick to fostering and rescuing dogs, I do excel at that and it makes such a difference.  

A very dear friend died last Sunday.  I feel like I lost another friend today.  That's what GCU meant to me.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2013, 5:39pm

yahoo...thanks to all who made this happen!

Email   IP Logged
Barbara_239062
GCU Newbies

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2013, 6:12pm

Thank you so much Nasser and Mindy!   Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.