Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Our best buddies. (Read 4939 times)
Lar_228672

Our best buddies.
Sep 6th, 2013, 11:03am

If anyone has a handle on this, I was curious if having dogs or cats on cards (with verse, or course) can be a good seller?  Which categories would they fit most comfortably in?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Re: Our best buddies.
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2013, 11:22am

I instantly thought of Police with trained dogs (and best friends they usually are too - to and from) when I looked at this very clear and detailed photograph.   I am not sure which category would be best for it but I do like your photos very much and am sure with some category searching you will find some highly suitable for this type of imagery.   Hard to say here ... on the smidgen of an inch tongue missing (No.  it does bother me at all as I am not always an 'in the box' type of photographer but ... just saying)     I think this image would look terrific too lightly painted digitally (I am thinking colored pencils)  background removed or replaced - maybe and put on a Card - Tee or other merchandise with a customizable text added.   The various fur textures too would make some lovely brushes Lar.  

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2013, 11:32am

Pets do very well on cards, best if you really put some effort into matching the expression of the animal with the proper category.

As for categories, look up on the site PETS:  http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=pets&button.x=0& amp;button.y=0  and you'll see many options to start with.

I agree with LJ, in removing the background on this one, or crop it to add more space for the animal to look into. Also in general, animals which are not looking towards the viewer or looking at something the viewing audience can see, don't generally do as well as they don't engage the audience quite as much ... unless, you use them for Missing You and sometimes Pet Sympathy cards.

Many of us have hundreds of dog and cat photos/digital compositions that do very well.  You'll just have to experiment with what works best for you and your style.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2013, 11:47am

Thank you both LJ and Doreen,

I was using  prime lens (non-zoom) so he was a bit close when he decided to pose for me, and I was unable to adjust for it.

GCU would probably have multiple problems with this image due to the clipped ears and tongue … the GCU reviewers call it "unprofessional" … we as photographers call it a close-up. Wink

Thanks Doreen for the link, I will check it out.  Does anyone know if you can take  photo of someone else's dog and use it commercially?  If not, I guess you can use it for a bases for a painting.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2013, 12:51pm by Lar_228672 »  
Email   IP Logged
Barbara_239062
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2013, 2:48pm

Beautiful dog!  Is he/she yours?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2013, 3:20pm

Quote from Lar_228672 on Sep 6th, 2013, 11:47am:
Thank you both LJ and Doreen,

I was using  prime lens (non-zoom) so he was a bit close when he decided to pose for me, and I was unable to adjust for it.

GCU would probably have multiple problems with this image due to the clipped ears and tongue … the GCU reviewers call it "unprofessional" … we as photographers call it a close-up. Wink

Thanks Doreen for the link, I will check it out.  Does anyone know if you can take  photo of someone else's dog and use it commercially?  If not, I guess you can use it for a bases for a painting.

Thanks again.

Generally speaking, unless the animal is a show dog or 'famous' animal, it's usually fine to use the photographs for greeting cards, however; when you know the owners, it's always best to get a property release (unfortunately pets are considered property in most states) and it's always best to use the basic rule which is to photograph on public property rather than private.

In other words, if you take a photograph of a dog in the dog's yard as you walk by, be cautious of using that image because it was taken on private property.  If you take a photo of a dog being walked on the street, it's public property.

I always ask and I'm always given permission.  Pet owners who treat their pet as family, are some of the best people on earth, it's in their nature to be kind and gentle of spirit.  So just ask and you'll most likely get a proud pet parent saying 'of course you can photograph my baby!'

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2013, 3:28pm

Doreen, All good points.  I agree with you.

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2013, 3:42pm

Quote from Barbara_239062 on Sep 6th, 2013, 2:48pm:
Beautiful dog!  Is he/she yours?

He is my five year old male.  This is my three year old female.  She was raised as a show dog.  I rescued them both …

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2013, 3:16pm

Beautiful dogs and photography, Lar.  I applaud you rescuing them.  I volunteer for a rescue (I foster, take the photos, do the website) and it amazes me that so many perfectly good dogs are brought to vet to be put down, just because they are not breed-able or unsaleable.  I'm fostering a purebred Cavalier King Charles puppy and a tiny purebred Pom puppy right now who are adorable, sweet and a hoot to foster.  

My husband would love a german shepard but he is not a person that would fit well with the breed.  He's a a getter done guy at  work but with the dogs he's a push over.  

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for sharing the pictures and for rescuing them!

trish

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2013, 5:35pm

>> This is slightly off-topic.

@Trish, thank you.  
GSDs are my breed of choice, as I've rescued many over my adult life, with many of them being considered hard-to-place – neglected, abused, sick and injured.  My greatest achievement was one German Shepherd that would growl at me when I approached it (in my house) and would growl at me to leave as soon as I put his food in his bowl.  He had been very neglected and abused.  Neglected: when I got him when he was about 4-5 yo, I found that he had his puppy choke collar embedded in his neck, literally choking him to death … more: http://matre.com/3062/z/

@LJ.  
GSDs are probably the most widely used canines for police work, but they don't have a lock on the position.  Police dogs are not trained by policemen.  Police dogs are trained by special dog trainers who then sell their graduates, across the country and around the world.  The trainers usually rescue the dogs they think may have what it takes to pass the grueling training, and that includes any breeds.  The average price is $50K-$60K for one police dog, any breed.

German Shepherds are not guaranteed to pass the training, but I guess it's the breed most suitable.  Neither of my dogs would make it through the training.  My female is terrified of thunder, which translates into being terrified of gun fire.  The dog must be stedfast during very loud noises.

My male is very mellow and has a heart of gold.  He loves meeting new people.  He was professionally trained by his first owner, so he is very knowledgeable of all the basic and some higher commands.  He's extremely smart , but he does not have police-dog mindset. At 120-pounds, he simply walks away from aggressive dogs, unless the dogs persist.  In those cases, it's usually over right after that.

The majority of rescues make the best pets, since they've already experienced bad pet-owners.  That's what I teach abused dogs, is that they won't be near not a very nice person humans anymore.

@Trish
It truly depends on the German Shepherd for your husband.  They are extremely loyal, affectionate and devoted pets.  There just needs to be an established, and fair, line-in-the-sand.  They do want to please their masters.

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2013, 7:05am

To be on topic, I do okay with my pet cards. My disadvantage is I am not a "photography studio" so my shots are not set up and look like a professional.  But I do the best I can, I'm sure with your talent you would do well.  I think your love of the subject makes it shine.  My shop is dying with the new changes, and I am not very inspired to work so hard for so little, but I am very encouraged to read your story.

I encourage everyone to read the story of Z that Lar put a link to.  It will touch you to the depths of your soul.  Thank you for sharing it, Lar.  It makes me think again about writing a blog about my animal experiences.  

Email   IP Logged
Lar_228672

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2013, 9:04am

Quote from Trish_136241 on Sep 12th, 2013, 7:05am:
... I encourage everyone to read the story of Z that Lar put a link to.  It will touch you to the depths of your soul.  Thank you for sharing it, Lar.  It makes me think again about writing a blog about my animal experiences.  

Trish, those are very kind words, thank you!

Link:  http://matre.com/3062/z/

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.