Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Series Concept Review – FastTrack (Read 6323 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Series Concept Review – FastTrack
Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:08pm

Announced back in March and happy to report working quite effectively when used, we are officially posting here for better visibility.  Cool

Artists who make series of cards (like age specific, relationship specific, etc.) have long suffered the horrible experience of uploading 100+ cards, only to have each and every one of them Returned for Edits or Declined.  We realize how frustrating this can be to have invested all the time up front, wait the weeks and weeks for review all to no avail.  

Now you can submit ONE sample card in the proposed series and Fast Track it.   You must state in the Notes to Reviewer why you’re Fast Tracking the card (ie: “Sample of  proposed series of like images (different relations), please review and let me know if I can proceed”).  By doing this, you save yourself and the review team loads of time and grief.

If the sample is Returned for Edits, make your changes and resubmit as usual (it will automatically resubmit as FastTrack).  If it’s declined, go back to the drawing board.  

But if it’s approved, feel free to submit the rest of the series INCLUDING a Note to Reviewers sharing something like, “Part of image series based on pre- approved concept PID# 123456 on 8/12/13.” Be absolutely certain to include the PID# and approval date of the approved sample, otherwise you’re back to square one.  

Important Note:  after your 1 concept card is approved the balance of the collection should be submitted business as usual, NOT FastTrack.

Lastly please note that this is not a blanket approval for all derivative submissions but for the basic image and concept.  All other standards still apply to each submission.  

See the original announcement here on the GCU Community BLOG:
http://gcucommunity.com/2013/03/19/gcu-news-design-of-the-month-contest-new-fast -track/

Thank you for following this new procedure, it is helping speed up the review times for all artists!  

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Re: Series Concept Review – FastTrack
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 4:24pm

Finally.  Thanks for working this out, Mindy and all.

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Susan_142450
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:05pm

With all due respect Mindy - I did do this. (Though I didn't fast track - so even more annoying! My misunderstanding.)
The first card was approved (after 8 weeks, bc i was silly). BUT it did specifically say in the Notes to Reviewer, that it was the first of potentially MANY cards.
Once it was approved, I merrily uploaded about 20 cards!  
A couple of weeks later, the ORIGINAL cards were pulled back, put on hold, and I had to revise a "logo" on [a painting of] a car that someone suddenly thought too obvious. (whatever, that's a different discussion.)  
I fixed it, and then that took days to OK.
The problem was that then, I had to spend 3+ hours going back and revising, re-saving, re-uploading 20+ cards before they came up for review. THen had to wait another 8 WEEKS to have them approved.  

So, I'm not sooo impressed with the process.

Frankly, I think the review should be the other way 'round. The first one should go through the regular review process. Take your time, try to get it right. Then the other 20 cards or 200 cards or whatever the series is should be subject to minimal fast-track review. That would essentially move the process along faster as reviewers wouldn't have to look at evry nook&cranny of all those cards, no one would be behind all those cards. See what I mean?  

(Ultimately, for me, my suggestion wouldn't have helped me out, the regular length of time didn't help the quality of the review, but it's a suggestion, none-the-less.)

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 9:08pm

Hi, Mindy,  

Thanks for writing this out for us for easy referral! Will this also be added to the Wiki at some point?  

I must say I've been working with this way of submitting series of cards from the moment it was introduced in May, and have very good experience with it. It helped to have quickly a variety of 'first of a series'-cards in my store, while working steadily, and with more confidence,  further to complete the series. And now, once the complete series are being reviewed, it's always great fun to see numbers of cards being added to my store in 'one go' - Thanks to the review team for their good advise and the pleasant cooperation in the review process.  

@Susan, I'm sorry to read that you had such a bad experience with it. That must have been very frustrating. Maybe it was just a one time mishap, though? Mistakes do happen  Roll Eyes - Maybe you could consider giving it another chance?  
To me, it wouldn't help much if I had to wait for the first of a series card to pass the long waiting queue, since I couldn't work further on the series then till I received the 'go ahead' - and also, the long time waiting isn't review time, and wouldn't add to the quality of the review. While having a card put 'on hold' for a few days does, since then the advise of a second reviewer is asked. And 'second reviewer' seems to be common policy with cards being entered as 'first of a series' now. Hopefully that will also avoid mistakes and confusion like what happened with your series... Smiley (fingers crossed Wink )

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Susan_142450
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:06pm

Quote from Steppeland_231500 on Aug 22nd, 2013, 9:08pm:
Hi, Mindy,

Thanks for writing this out for us for easy referral! Will this also be added to the Wiki at some point?

I must say I've been working with this way of submitting series of cards from the moment it was introduced in May, and have very good experience with it. It helped to have quickly a variety of 'first of a series'-cards in my store, while working steadily, and with more confidence,  further to complete the series. And now, once the complete series are being reviewed, it's always great fun to see numbers of cards being added to my store in 'one go' - Thanks to the review team for their good advise and the pleasant cooperation in the review process.  

@Susan, I'm sorry to read that you had such a bad experience with it. That must have been very frustrating. Maybe it was just a one time mishap, though? Mistakes do happen  Roll Eyes - Maybe you could consider giving it another chance?
To me, it wouldn't help much if I had to wait for the first of a series card to pass the long waiting queue, since I couldn't work further on the series then till I received the 'go ahead' - and also, the long time waiting isn't review time, and wouldn't add to the quality of the review. While having a card put 'on hold' for a few days does, since then the advise of a second reviewer is asked. And 'second reviewer' seems to be common policy with cards being entered as 'first of a series' now. Hopefully that will also avoid mistakes and confusion like what happened with your series... Smiley (fingers crossed Wink )

You misunderstand - I was GIVEN the go ahead, THEN created and uploaded the subsequent cards.  
THEN the approved card was put on hold.  
Then they told me I had to change to logo. I changed on the one on HOLD, and waited.
When they approved those - I then went back and replaced all the cards (originally approved imaged) with the newly approved image.
I still think it should be the other way around.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:36pm

Quote from Susan_142450 on Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:06pm:

You misunderstand - I was GIVEN the go ahead, THEN created and uploaded the subsequent cards.
THEN the approved card was put on hold.
Then they told me I had to change to logo. I changed on the one on HOLD, and waited.
When they approved those - I then went back and replaced all the cards (originally approved imaged) with the newly approved image.
I still think it should be the other way around.

I didn't misunderstand, Susan. The way it happened with you was definitely not right.  I would feel as frustrated with it as you do. It clearly didn't work out there with you in the way it was meant to be, and in my opinion, that was wrong.  
And of course, your opinion about how it could work better is as good as mine Wink  
I must admit, whatever works is good for me, and I wouldn't oppose shorter review times, or fast track for the full series, after the first-of-series is approved, either  

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2013, 2:52pm

Quote from Susan_142450 on Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:05pm:
With all due respect Mindy - I did do this. (Though I didn't fast track - so even more annoying! My misunderstanding.)
The first card was approved (after 8 weeks, bc i was silly). BUT it did specifically say in the Notes to Reviewer, that it was the first of potentially MANY cards.
Once it was approved, I merrily uploaded about 20 cards!
A couple of weeks later, the ORIGINAL cards were pulled back, put on hold, and I had to revise a "logo" on [a painting of] a car that someone suddenly thought too obvious. (whatever, that's a different discussion.)
I fixed it, and then that took days to OK.
The problem was that then, I had to spend 3+ hours going back and revising, re-saving, re-uploading 20+ cards before they came up for review. THen had to wait another 8 WEEKS to have them approved.

So, I'm not sooo impressed with the process.

Frankly, I think the review should be the other way 'round. The first one should go through the regular review process. Take your time, try to get it right. Then the other 20 cards or 200 cards or whatever the series is should be subject to minimal fast-track review. That would essentially move the process along faster as reviewers wouldn't have to look at evry nook&cranny of all those cards, no one would be behind all those cards. See what I mean?

(Ultimately, for me, my suggestion wouldn't have helped me out, the regular length of time didn't help the quality of the review, but it's a suggestion, none-the-less.)

Hi Susan,
You are correct.  There was a misstep with your submission which required you to do extra work and for that I apologize.  Car / Vehicle logo issues are tricky and we are very conservative in that area.  I'm sorry the review team did not catch the Chevy logo upon first review.

(It looks like your original card #1073460 still needs editing)

As for the new series concept review process I'd like to make a few points:
1. the quality and thoroughness of the review is the same be it FastTrack or regular
2. the intent of this new allowance, as Steppeland is enjoying, is to expedite the "concept" or sample giving artists the green light to proceed quickly and take advantage of their inspiration / creative flow without risking all their work being returned/declined.
3. there is no urgency for the entire collection to be expedited nor for them to jump in front of other cards patiently awaiting review

Hope that helps.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2013, 2:55pm

Quote from Steppeland_231500 on Aug 22nd, 2013, 9:08pm:
Hi, Mindy,

Glad this is working well for you!  

And yes, we will have this information on the Wiki.  Thank you for the reminder.  

Email   IP Logged
Renee_256728
GCU Newbies

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2014, 8:06am

This is the first time I read this and it sounds as though it will be a big help. My question, if you have not already answered it is, a few days ago I submitted a card for Christmas holidays, (I understand this is the right time to design new cards for that season) and want to know if I can RESUBMIT the design through the Concept Design process so that I can do a series (20 or so) with the new design?

Thanks for the help!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.