Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
NEW - We need to voice our opinions (Read 5967 times)
Nasser_16
GCU Administrator
CEO

NEW - We need to voice our opinions
Jul 9th, 2013, 6:59pm

Our apologies, but it appears that the "WE NEED TO VOICE OUR OPINIONS - LOUDLY" forum posting has been corrupted.  This is a forum problem that seems to take place when someone makes a post after they've deleted their storefront, which is more common with controversial threads.   The posts are still there, but they can not be viewed as they were (in a thread format).  You can find the same posts by doing a forum Advanced Search and look for "we need to voice our opinions" with match-all-words option selected.   We're still trying to recover it.

I'm starting a new thread with the same subject to continue the conversations.    My response below.

===============================================================================

We have been very transparent sharing with artists the details and reasons behind our decisions.  This is more than most companies will share or should have to share.  Unfortunately it seems that much has gone unheard or many artists simply don’t want to accept the facts.  To have artists questioning the truth, intentions and speculation of ulterior motives is not only disheartening but a bigger problem.  GCU’s has always been up front, honest and operating in good faith.

To address a few open items I feel require a response:

1. Acceptable Forum Behavior - This is a public forum however GCU’s forum and we encourage you to express your concerns and suggestions.  We have been very open to artists’ feedback.  However direct insults aimed at other artists and GCU as well as ill founded accusations are not appropriate nor welcomed.  We intended to keep the forum and our community in general a place where anyone can contribute without fear of being ridiculed.   If you cannot abide by those basic conditions you will be asked to leave.  

2. Maria’s "Imagine the interest earned in that 3 month time period from all of us?" - GCU pays on a quarterly basis for ease and economies in processing payments.  Any earned interest is an immaterial and negligible amount.  As our overall sales grow and we streamline payment processing we hope to transition to a monthly payment frequency.  

3. Lar’s “Time to Sell”  – There are no special efforts in positioning GCU for a sale.  As I shared before, the earnings changes are a necessary action to reduce costs to further invest in our growth.

4. Reduced Staff & Reviews – The recent reduction in staff did not impact our review team.  As Mindy shared, we are continually improving the process to make reviews easier,  more efficient and more consistent.  Our goal is a maximum 4 week turnaround time.  We recently added 1 new reviewer and in the near future will be adding more.

Where I think we could have done a better job was giving artists more advanced notice of the changes.  For that we apologize.  As a courtesy of transition to help you meet the 3Q13 mark more easily we’ve reduce the 3Q13 threshold by 50% ($75 threshold vs $150) giving you 3 months until the new changes as announced are in full effect.

In the end these are the changes we have made based on sound and studied business needs and principles.  Every artist will need to decide for themselves where they go from here.  

We hope you will choose to stay with us as we believe our expected growth will effortlessly catapult many artists beyond the thresholds.  If you are disgruntled or skeptical, consider leaving your store as is.  Keep an eye on how things progress and re-evaluate later.  

See here for the details of the original earnings modification announcement:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372702066  

This will be my last post on this topic, we will not be making any further adjustments.   Thank you for your understanding and support.

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Re: NEW - We need to voice our opinions
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:16pm

Thank you Nasser!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:26pm

Thank you Nasser.

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:31pm

Yes, thank you Nasser. Smiley
Pamela

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:41pm

I am very happy to hear this.  Thank you Nasser!

Email   IP Logged
Maria_133363
artist

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:43pm

Nasser,  
Thank you for listening and responding in detail.

Email   IP Logged
Trudy_135795
artist

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2013, 8:05pm

Just to be clear, the 3rd quarter has been reduced 50% and the quota now is $75.00 but the last quarter will jump right up to that 300.00 quota...is that right... ?  If so, I'm glad you are giving the artists one break, but it would be much better if those quotas were $75.00 for all three quarters... please take that into consideration.... the commission drop plus quotas... is really difficult for most, I feel sure.  Unless I'm understanding this wrong...

Email   IP Logged
Ed_138263
artist

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2013, 9:22pm

OK, I will stick it out for now, and hope that by the end of the quarter you will change you mind on this drastic cut in commissions, especially the 4Q jump. That is the one time of the year that we can count on having good sales.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2013, 10:58pm

Indeed, thanks for the clear and detailed replies Nasser (first one included), and also thanks for acknowledging and apologizing for not giving artists more advanced notice of the changes. That especially I appreciate!  
Also good that GCU is reducing the quota for the 3Q. At least it may help a little for Artists to adjust and take the first hurdle, and shows some goodwill from GCU's side. The 4th Q for many will still be a too high threshold to take, I guess.  
Pitty that you did not pick up the 10% overall cut of commissions proposal, instead of the 50% for small sales-producers only. Same pay for same work, that would have sounded much more fair to me too! And I still hope GCU may reconsider the decisions taken.  

But I guess we all have had the opportunity to say what we wanted to say. I for one was already back to the drawing table, so to speak, and that's where I'm heading to  now again.  

Thanks for assuring us of the companies and admins intention to operate in good faith. Even though the recent happenings seriously made me doubt too, I'm willing to believe that, just because I so hope it's true! Therefor, I'm giving it a chance, and will contribute in any way I can to make it work.

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Betsy_179799
artist

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2013, 4:11am

Thank you Nassar!

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2013, 6:12am

Thank you, Nassar  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2013, 7:12am

YEs really really appreciate that you made the 3rd quarter a transitional quarter. Helps a lot and makes it seem less of an impossible big leap - while we try and figure how to pump up our marketing strategy and creative  production.  

As far as the Q4 goes - well for whatever reason - personally it's always been my lowest earning Q. Not sure why - but I guess this is the year I try and figure it out and fix it.  

Personally wasn't planning on leaving - even with the new earning modification as GCU is still the only POD where I had figured out how to make reliable sales and had gotten spoiled into getting quarterly paychecks that had grown with each year.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2013, 8:20am

Thank you! A quick troll around the web shows that the online card market is a busy, competitive place. Many sites do not offer opportunities for emerging artists. Thank you for doing so!

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_136771
artist

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2013, 9:12am

Quote from Stacia_208183 on Jul 10th, 2013, 8:20am:
Thank you! A quick troll around the web shows that the online card market is a busy, competitive place. Many sites do not offer opportunities for emerging artists. Thank you for doing so!

I agree, Stacia.  Thanks, Nasser and GCU for creating a business that provides a marketplace for our work. Competition in the POD field grows daily, with more options for buyers. More and more people are even bypassing artists by uploading their own instagrams, etc. allowing them to create their own cards.

I've been here since March 2009 and have gotten to the point where occasionally I do sell enough to make the quarterly quotas, so I know it's possible.  Here's a silver lining: We could easily be faced with the lowered commission and no opportunity for the full commission, so I'm grateful for that.  Do I like having to work harder? No, not really.  Grin    

I've really enjoyed my years at GCU and the community of artists here.  I hope no one closes their stores. As others have pointed out, you don't have anything to lose by keeping it open.  

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2013, 6:58pm by Catherine_136771 »  
Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2013, 10:10am

Grin Grin GrinI'm very excited at the possibility of making the quota and getting the bonus!  

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.