Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13 (Read 71855 times)
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13
Reply #45 - Jul 4th, 2013, 4:36am

Ed, although I agree with most of your post, charging artists who haven't reached this new bar isn't fair either.  It's either across the board or not at all.  Why would you add yet another punishment on to the artists struggling to build their stores, or who are new and obviously will need time to reach this level, and all working just as hard who haven't made it there yet?  I've been here four years and I'd like to try to hold on and try to ride this out.  I did a lot of soul searching over the last few days and yes, I would like to think I have learned a lot and now have a bit more to offer - and with the continued community factor available through information resources being shared, yes, I've invested enough not to just drop this now.  Unless Mindy can tell us that we lesser artists are costing GCU business, then why would you propose that a new artist or one who has been trying to work at building their store and trying to make sales here be punished with a fee?  Is the fact that we loose half our earnings enough punishment?  Would this fee be removed when an artist finally reaches the new bar?  What about any artist having an "off" quarter?  Do they get charged for not making the threshold for that quarter?  

Email   IP Logged
Sharon_131320
artist

Reply #46 - Jul 4th, 2013, 6:23am

I really want to put this out there...my experience with GCU has been very positive from the beginning. I've had a shop here for, I think, 6 years, and this company and community has always been incredibly generous. I know the community blog is chock full of everything we can possibly need to be successful with our cards  on GCU. Contests, design resources, giveaways, critique clinics...And that information has always been freely given, by artists who have their own "businesses" to run. And the commission of .60 per card is generous and I have been grateful for that.  

This company made my "Card Shop" possible. Like everyone else, even though I have a lot of "art business" on my plate, I know that the reality of that business is that it requires flexibility and a lot of hard work to make your work sell. GCU's needs have changed as a company and now I have to see what I can do to grow my own business along with them.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #47 - Jul 4th, 2013, 7:07am

Sharon,

I just clicked onto your link and your store did not come up. I then, clicked on your name, and from there clicked on your link, and the same result occurred. You may want to check on this.  Thanks for your pleasant comment. I totally agree!

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #48 - Jul 4th, 2013, 9:11am

It seems with all the goings on that a bottom line is company profits first at all costs.  With little or no concern about the people that made it what it is.  My feelings about this company have gone from admiration and loyalty to disgust OVERNIGHT!  There is an arrogance here in the heirarchy that is very upsetting, and GCU is becoming just another place to avoid as an artist on the web.

Email   IP Logged
Gail_137747
artist

Reply #49 - Jul 4th, 2013, 10:16am

I have a feeling we have not been told all of the details for these changes. Seems like a lot, all of a sudden to absorb and get used to. I'm going to sit back, wait for my 131 cards to be reviewed, and see how this all plays out. Good luck to all my fellow artists. Hang in there.

Email   IP Logged
Sharon_131320
artist

Reply #50 - Jul 4th, 2013, 3:49pm

Quote from Sandra_133229 on Jul 4th, 2013, 7:07am:
Sharon,

I just clicked onto your link and your store did not come up. I then, clicked on your name, and from there clicked on your link, and the same result occurred. You may want to check on this.  Thanks for your pleasant comment. I totally agree!

Thanks for letting me know, Sandra. My old store link is still showing up as my signature in the forum--I'm trying to figure out how to update it--the updated signature/store link is current everywhere else??  
My store is:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/SFernleafDesigns

Email   IP Logged
Sharon_131320
artist

Reply #51 - Jul 4th, 2013, 3:56pm

[quote author=Sharon_131320 link=1372702066/45#50 date=1372978163]Quote from Sandra_133229 on Jul 4th, 2013, 7:07am:

Thanks for letting me know, Sandra. My old store link is still showing up as my signature in the forum--I'm trying to figure out how to update it--the updated signature/store link is current everywhere else??
My store is:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/SFernleafDesigns

I must have done something right because it's working now Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Carrie_226123
GCU Newbies

Reply #52 - Jul 5th, 2013, 3:45am

I sold a card yesterday and the payout was 20 cents. Is it really possible to meet these new quotas? I know since my store is new with very few cards the answer is no, but for the larger more established stores, can you meet these new thresholds? For the 4th quarter at that rate I would need to sell 1,500 cards. This is not a negative question I am just curious if this is possible for people who have been here longer and have established shops, so that I know in the future that I should be happy with 20 cents a card or is it really possible to get more.

Also as the "pool" gets more diluted as more and more people join, it seems that it will be harder in the future to meet these thresholds as the sales will be spread out over more shops.

Thanks for any responses.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013, 6:48am by Carrie_226123 »  
Email   IP Logged
Stephanie_207353
GCU Newbies

Reply #53 - Jul 5th, 2013, 7:08am

I will promote the heck out of my store, BUT, I'd like to have at least 25-30 cards reviewed/approved.  I have a lot of variety; i.e., art based on my photography as well as digitally created, BUT I'm still waiting for a good chunk  to be reviewed.  I'm not ready to give up yet mainly because I don't feel I can properly begin marketing with the number of cards reviewed so far... undecided undecided

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #54 - Jul 5th, 2013, 7:53am

Quote from Carrie_226123 on Jul 5th, 2013, 3:45am:
I sold a card yesterday and the payout was 20 cents. Is it really possible to meet these new quotas? I know since my store is new with very few cards the answer is no, but for the larger more established stores, can you meet these new thresholds? For the 4th quarter at that rate I would need to sell 1,500 cards. This is not a negative question I am just curious if this is possible for people who have been here longer and have established shops, so that I know in the future that I should be happy with 20 cents a card or is it really possible to get more.

Also as the "pool" gets more diluted as more and more people join, it seems that it will be harder in the future to meet these thresholds as the sales will be spread out over more shops.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi Carrie, it's absolutely possible and as you already mentioned it will take time. Sales should consistently grow from year to year. Corrie mentioned many years ago when I joined that it takes a good 2-years for things to really get rolling and that was my experience. I did all the things Corrie is writing about in her Marketing articles and many I still do.  During my first 2-years I spent 8-weeks creating and filling my store, then did a week of heavy promotion of my stores using all the techniques being mentioned in the blog.

In January 2012, 2-1/2 years after I opened my store, my sales tripled and I stopped spending so much time marketing.  This is not to say I don't maintain my sites, I do, or that I don't do social media, I do. I just no longer had to push so hard to make a name for myself. I had gone over the hurdle.  

So, new artists goals should not be how much they sell each quarter, but rather goals for filling their stores with great cards that have powerful Card Titles, Keywords and Artist Notes. That combined with heavy focus on marketing your work using Corrie's tips and seeing a steady growth pattern will bring you out on top in the long run.

If you don't see a steady growth in sales from year to year, then you need to re-evaluate what you're doing and make some significant changes.  Hope this helps inspire you to continue on  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Chrissy_135289
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #55 - Jul 5th, 2013, 8:22am

Quote from Carrie_226123 on Jul 5th, 2013, 3:45am:
I sold a card yesterday and the payout was 20 cents. Is it really possible to meet these new quotas?

As I stated, I have about 8,000 cards in my shop. I have had this store open for years and I make multiple daily sales (as well as some bulk sales). I generally average $150 - $250 per quarter. If you cut that in half, no, I will not meet those new quotes. I promote a lot and I have my store linked to many websites. I am not holding my breath and I am still considering closing my shop. I have "nothing to lose" by staying but letting others get rich off my hard work and creativity while I have to work twice as hard for the same pay. I'd like to see these people get a 50% pay cut, see if they'd quit and find a new job. I'm willing to bet they would. What they are doing here is very harsh, they are biting the hand that feeds them.

Email   IP Logged
Carrie_226123
GCU Newbies

Reply #56 - Jul 5th, 2013, 8:44am

Crissy,

Wow, that is a lot of work to get 8,000 cards on this site and an extended amount of time with the submittal review time. Thank you for the honesty in your reply, I think it will help a lot of people evaluate where to focus their efforts. I was really excited about the site and have over 300 cards pending. I will continue to add to see how things go but am definitely going to put effort into my other sites as well. I was thinking about keep my cards exclusive here but with the current structure I will be looking at other avenues as others have mentioned.

Doreen,
Thank you for the encouraging note, I will continue to post cards but will be looking at other baskets as well, as you said it will take over two years to really get up and running on this site.

Thank you.

Email   IP Logged
_183235
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #57 - Jul 5th, 2013, 9:15am

GCU is charging customers more for cards (making more profit), but giving artists less. Reviews take 6 weeks or more and GCU dictates how the card should look (focusing on photography rather than concepts and the overall look of a card). How are we supposed to sell more cards??? I sold 8 cards yesterday and made $2. Sure I have nothing to lose but I also have nothing to gain. I sell more cards and make more $$ with Zazzle (who approves cards in minutes and does not dictate the look of the card). They allow each artist to set their own profit margins. So unfortunately, I have no other choice than to close my store. I think it was a poor business decision on GCU's part. Good luck everyone!

Email   IP Logged
Gail_137747
artist

Reply #58 - Jul 5th, 2013, 11:52am

I'm sorry we will lose you, CimZah. Your cards are wonderful and I wish you luck somewhere else.

I'm afraid we will lose many good artists and that is a crying shame. I'm not sure what will happen to GCU. Seems like it was going so well. I wish we really knew the details of these drastic changes.  

1. Is the company in financial trouble?
2. Has the company been sold?
3. Are these changes to make profits look good for a sale?
4. Is this a way of cutting artists?

Companies should value their employees, not punish them. Cutting commissions to 50% is punishment. I'm trying to see the positive side to this, but it's difficult. Perhaps management can inform, enlighten, and explain what is really going on. We artists would appreciate it.

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #59 - Jul 6th, 2013, 10:27am

If some of us should decide to close shop and I am still thinking on this...If and when we delete our cards and shop do our original designs get deleted out of your database too?  In other words can you continue to use our graphics?

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.