Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13 (Read 71853 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13
Reply #30 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:40pm

The banner ads need to be updated too I believe.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/card_banners.asp

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #31 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:52pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 1:07pm:
Quote from Shaun_131054 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 12:20pm:
Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 3:28am:
It does look like card prices have increased across the board, not just the single card pricing as stated in the announcement.  

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/help/card_shopper_help.asp#pricing

Hi Tom, it's actually just the price of one card that has changed.  Everything else remains as it has been since January of 2011.  You can still view the old pricing structure here in the wiki:
http://www.gcuwiki.com/earnings.html

Shaun

Looks like the 2-4 card level is now $3 each.  Yes?

Previously 1 to 4 cards was $3.  Now 1 card is $3.50 while 2 to 4 cards remains $3.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:53pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:40pm:

Correct, these will be updated very soon.   Thanks Tom.  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 3:03pm

Quote from Sherry_205423 on Jul 1st, 2013, 8:22pm:
Hi Mindy - I understand the new terms and will strive to achieve the thresholds GCU has set. My one problem is the same basic thing that Nancy said.

My daughter just joined GCU. At the rate it's taking for card to be approved, 2/3 of the 1st quarter will be over before she begins to have any cards in her store. That's very defeating for a newbie. Is there anything that can be done to help newbies get cards in their stores quicker?

Seeing the $150 threshold will definitely play a part in whether newbies stay or go. At least if they knew they could get cards in their stores quicker than 7-8 weeks it might encourage them to at least try to make the threshold.

Just a thought. Maybe there's some way GCU can help them.

Some type of quick start for newbies is in the works.    A good idea, thank you  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 3:47pm

Quote from Cori_146275 on Jul 1st, 2013, 10:04pm:
Mindy,

You still have not addressed the issue that goes hand and hand with the cut, the time it takes to get cards approved.  

In your last email you state, " You’ll have to put trust in the fact that we’ve employed sound business know-how - book smarts, street smarts and start up business experience."

I come from a background of business as well as art.  Good business smarts and experience is to get the product out there as fast as possible for both the customer and in this case the artist.  With the commission cuts a good way to keep your artists happy is to have the approval time short.  I think you will find more artists accepting the pay cut and producing more work if they know that their cards are approved in a timely manner.

I whole heartedly that agree faster review times will increase artist satisfaction.

I have addressed card reviews here:
We are continually making changes / improvements to the card review process to shorten the turnaround time.  This will continue.  Our goal however is 4 weeks.  

A few recent items to note:
1. we added a new part time reviewer in June, #937 who's just shed her training wheels Wink
2. we've made several technical changes to the tools to make reviews more efficient
3. more artists have achieved Star Submitter status
4. we've allowed Concept designs to be FastTracked

Although I do not see these going hand in hand.  Although getting pending cards out in the marketplace is key, to apply additional resources to get them reviewed "faster" is not the best use of our limited resources when compared to other investments.  That's the key, we have to make choices.

We have chosen not to sacrifice the quality of reviews for quantity or speed.  However I will share that we are considering providing less detailed feedback in returns and declines.  Even providing less feedback on ways to improve elements on an approved card like more descriptive card title or Artist's Notes.  

The artists that have taken the time and attention to detail in their submissions suffer with delays as we spend more time fixing / suggesting how to improve cards where artists have not been so meticulous.  I'm referring to elements like descriptive card titles, keywords, artist's notes.  Elements that strongly impact SEO.  We will always ask for a fix of something that is incorrect, but if it's less than stellar we can begin to let them stand on their own merits, or lack there of.

This will be a sacrifice for many artists who have come to rely on the review team for help and suggestions on how to improve elements of their card in the name of SEO.

If artists are ready for this (with the exception of new artists who should be afforded more time and assistance to learn) then we can do so.  

It will be sink or swim.  This will certainly speed things along.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:10pm

Quote from Shaun_131054 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:53pm:
Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 2:40pm:

Correct, these will be updated very soon.   Thanks Tom.  

Shaun

The banners are now updated though you may need to refresh the page to see the changes.  The file names remain the same so any banners appearing on other sites will now show the price change as well.  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:27pm

Quote from Ed_138263 on Jul 1st, 2013, 9:09pm:
Oh boy, I really have to think about this one. The user agreement that we all agreed to when we signed up goes out the window again. I really hate the words, "We reserve the right to............"
I am really glad that I did not put all my eggs in this basket. You want us to work harder or we won't get paid as much as we have been getting paid? Is that the message here? I worked a little over time when you guys were trying to get the kiosk thing going. Did that pan out? I will wait until my next payment. If I do not meet the "Required" minimum. I'm out of here.

Ed to keep the door open to change is a necessity.  We either stand firmly and obstinate in our roots and fall against the winds of change or we remain flexible and nimble to adjust.  

Email   IP Logged
Chrissy_135289
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #37 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:47pm

I'm not sure what a "top seller" is, but I have about 8,000 cards in my shop and I make daily sales. I worked my butt off to get all these cards up and now you're telling me you've INCREASED the price per card and are cutting the royalty by 50%?! I have to work twice as hard for the same pay, essentially. Like other artists on here, that does not sit well with me.

As artists, our images sell your cards. No one's going to order a blank white card, which is all you are selling without us. I'm a business person and I don't understand why you've increased the cost per card by .50 and you can't pay our full "old" .56 royalty per card. I understand this increase is for only a single card? Why don't you raise the prices across the board and keep royalties the same?

Most of my sales are for single cards, which is what you are charging more for and I'm getting a 50% pay cut for.

This cut is very harsh, I am going to think about whether it's worth it to keep my cards up with you, or go elsewhere. A lot of artists on here — like myself — do this professionally, for a living, and can't afford a 50% pay cut. This is a BIG pay cut. If we take our designs and leave, what do you have left? Fewer professional designs and a loss of business because of it. That won't help you "grow" any.

You could have increased the price per card without touching royalties, that would be more reasonable. I was recommending you above other online POD stores to my artist friends, now I really can't rave about you and have it be convincing. Sorry.

I sincerely hope you reevaluate this change. Thank you.

Email   IP Logged
Lois_138267
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #38 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:19pm

HOLD THE PHONE ... folks ... I just saw something on the FaceBook GCU page that has me scratching my head.  Are you guys telling me that the $150 for the first three quarters that's being looked at is what OUR NET COMMISSION has to be ... or is that $150 for the first three quarters the total GROSS DOLLAR AMOUNT generated by our sales ... in other words, the total amount brought into the company by the accumulated sales from one seller in that quarter? 'Cause, bad as this is ... I ASSumed GCU was talking about GROSS, baby, not NET ...

undecided

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #39 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:22pm

Lois, I believe it is net.  Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Chrissy_135289
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #40 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:25pm

I think it's net, too. All our .25 per card royalties need to add up to $150, as I understand it.

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #41 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:36pm

No, it's based on your actual earnings.  And yes, that means you will have to sell twice as many cards to make the same you did before and HOPE that you surpass the $150 for the first three quarters and $300 for the fourth so you get the 'bonus' payment which is basically a 5 cent raise on what we USED to get assuming it is an individual card sale. Of course, all this depends on how many a customer orders, etc. as always.

Email   IP Logged
Ed_138263
artist

Reply #42 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 7:43pm

Quote from Mindy on Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:27pm:
Oh boy, I really have to think about this one. The user agreement that we all agreed to when we signed up goes out the window again. I really hate the words, "We reserve the right to............"
I am really glad that I did not put all my eggs in this basket. You want us to work harder or we won't get paid as much as we have been getting paid? Is that the message here? I worked a little over time when you guys were trying to get the kiosk thing going. Did that pan out? I will wait until my next payment. If I do not meet the "Required" minimum. I'm out of here.

Ed to keep the door open to change is a necessity.  We either stand firmly and obstinate in our roots and fall against the winds of change or we remain flexible and nimble to adjust.  

Email   IP Logged
Ed_138263
artist

Reply #43 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 8:40pm

Quote from Ed_138263 on Jul 3rd, 2013, 7:43pm:
Quote from Mindy on Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:27pm:

You are kidding right.  "obstinate in our roots"  I think what you are doing is wrong. The artists here have made your business. Be content with the earnings you make from the inspiration of others. This site has grown, I believe, by word of mouth, more than any other way. If you feel you need to make a little more money, charge a small store front fee for those who do not make a minimum amount per month or lower the commission by 10%, but 50%, that is outrageous.  Those who have been consistently earning money for you and themselves, should be thanked, not put into a position of feeling like they owe you something. This business goes both ways. We cannot do it without you, and you can not do it without us. I truly hope that you will re-think your decision to cut commissions. I do understand what you said, "to keep the door open to change is a necessity." But to blatantly cut commissions by 50% is not just being flexible, it is a moral breach of contract and totally unfair.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013, 8:42am by Ed_138263 »  
Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Jul 3rd, 2013, 9:59pm

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the announcement contains this sentence: "Additionally we have plans to make it easier and more effective for artists to self promote." I'm intrigued for I'm supportive of anything that's "easier" and "more effective"! I think admin may have some nice surprises forthcoming. Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.