Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13 (Read 71852 times)
Deborah_156571
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13
Reply #150 - Sep 7th, 2014, 2:10pm

I just got a notice that I sold a card.  I had forgotten I even had this site.  When I looked at my account and found that I have sold 176 cards but only made $26.27!  I am out! Not worth the energy or time to update my account.  What a rip off!  Angry

Email   IP Logged
Carolyn_134621
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #151 - Sep 7th, 2014, 5:10pm

Dear Deborah,

I agree that the GCU royalties are very small and unfair for the design work we each contribute to our store fronts.  The positive factors is the superior quality of cards printed by GCU, but if you do find another online card site with the same quality printing and service AND paying fair royalty rates, I would so appreciate knowing what you found.  

Good luck and all best wishes,  Carolyn Grossman

Email   IP Logged
Deborah_156571
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #152 - Sep 7th, 2014, 5:30pm

Hi Carolyn,
I use Zazzle and Fine Art America.  You can set your own prices and the quality is really good.  Best Wishes!

Quote from Carolyn_134621 on Sep 7th, 2014, 5:10pm:
Dear Deborah,

I agree that the GCU royalties are very small and unfair for the design work we each contribute to our store fronts.  The positive factors is the superior quality of cards printed by GCU, but if you do find another online card site with the same quality printing and service AND paying fair royalty rates, I would so appreciate knowing what you found.

Good luck and all best wishes,  Carolyn Grossman

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #153 - Sep 8th, 2014, 5:41am

Deborah! That at least should mean you get to be paid - as you have now earned over $25, correct? Why not at least stay with what you have. You never know when you might make a large sale. And it costs nothing in further effort, fees, or upkeep.
Apparently the trend in any POD sites is toward 5% commission as there is so much POD competition out there now...

Email   IP Logged
Lois_138267
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #154 - Sep 8th, 2014, 12:36pm

Actually, Catinka, I've read the same thing about the push by many pod sites to bring our commissions down to a miserable level.  Yes, keeping inventory at sites like GCU that we've already spent so much time and effort to create and upload does make sense.  That big sale we all hope for MIGHT be right around the corner (the same things the compulsive gambler tells himself  embarrassed ).  

But the smart thing for all artists to do is to find sites that respect us and allow us to set our own commissions.  Abandon the places where we're not valued.  Pretty soon the POD sites that treat us with such embarrassing disrespect might come to their senses when the flood of new artwork, which THEY NEED, turns to a trickle.

And yes there ARE such sites out there where we can make more than 19 cents per card. Two have just been mentioned.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #155 - Sep 8th, 2014, 3:32pm

Quote from Deborah_156571 on Sep 7th, 2014, 2:10pm:
I just got a notice that I sold a card.  I had forgotten I even had this site.  When I looked at my account and found that I have sold 176 cards but only made $26.27!  I am out! Not worth the energy or time to update my account.  What a rip off!  Angry

Hi Debbi,
Considering that your last card was added over 3 years ago and your store, which you'd forgotten about, holds a mere 10 cards I was actually expecting your post to be a joyful sharing about effortlessly selling 176 cards.   Huh

Good luck to you with your other endeavors.

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #156 - Sep 8th, 2014, 6:38pm

Wow! Only 10 cards and you did that well! I have only 15 cards and drag my feet so about putting more into it. Basically you are getting a royalty fee here whenever you sell a card. I believe authors make only  10% royalty fees on their books, unless they self publish? True, things are changing in terms of self publishing. but that I still a royalty on top of whatever you sell elsewhere. If GCU's market is a market you would not reach otherwise, wouldn't that be a good thing to also make these sales? You have already set it up. Gee, if you don't want the future possible sales, then maybe sign them over to your favorite charity.

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #157 - Sep 8th, 2014, 6:40pm

Oh well - I just tried to find Deb's page. Seems to be gone already. 404

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #158 - Sep 9th, 2014, 1:25am

Well I love GCU   I think it's great place to get your card designs seen and sold. There is such a great community here and a tremendous amount of opportunity to learn.  

If I had one gripe it would be the reduction in royalty percentages paid to artists on bulk sales. That particular aspect I find very disappointing. If your card design is so good that someone wants to buy 100 or so of them, then it seems a real shame to cut the artists percentage royalties. The amount per card paid is already lower anyway because it's a bulk sale, so cutting the royalty percentage as well really is disappointing.

That said, I'm still a huge fan of GCU and nowhere else could I have had this type of opportunity to sell my designs on such a regular basis. Not to mention the card quality and service is excellent.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tracy_135547
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #159 - Jan 12th, 2016, 2:43pm

I've only made a few sales over the years - I sell cards here as a fun outlet for my work - so I've never met the threshold.  

I think this means I'll never get paid anything?

(It's around $16 right now.)

Huh

Email   IP Logged
Catinka_133492
artist

Reply #160 - Jan 12th, 2016, 3:39pm

Haha! I did finally manage to get a check from GCU just a few months ago!  

Tracy do you have a website, or, better yet, a blog? You can write stuff and include a link or gcu widget to your various designs within your posts. Use the cards as they show on GCU as something to illustrate each blog post. I think it may be hard to get buyer traffic right from GCU or even google. It is possible to develop one's own regular traffic. If you were to  start keeping a blog, with a card within the post, you would be giving more chances for people to come across your cards.

I keep meaning to use this strategy but just don't keep up with frequent blog posts.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #161 - Jan 12th, 2016, 4:03pm

Quote from Tracy_135547 on Jan 12th, 2016, 2:43pm:
I've only made a few sales over the years - I sell cards here as a fun outlet for my work - so I've never met the threshold.

I think this means I'll never get paid anything?

(It's around $16 right now.)

Huh

Tracey,

The threshold is only there to offer 'premium earnings'. It has nothing to do with getting paid for standard earnings.

When you reach the payout you've set in your profile settings - $25 is the minimum I think, then you'll get paid.

Email   IP Logged
Julie_273348

Reply #162 - Jan 16th, 2016, 6:01pm

Don't forget, Tracy, that you can use your earnings, however small, against your own purchases of cards. That's what I do as my sales are so small. It helps encourage me, to feel I am getting some kind of reward for my efforts, and I have been impressed by the quality of the GCU product and the speed of supply.

Email   IP Logged
Ginger_150679
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #163 - Jun 5th, 2016, 1:52pm

2. Incent artists to take an active role in self-promotion driving traffic and sales  

Hi -

Well, I realize I'm way behind the times, but just finally at the point in life that I have time to tackle this item.  I've read through various posts, but I'm not quite sure what I need to do.  I've had a link from my website (AZ-Artists.com - Details of Arizona) back since the time of the change, but that hasn't really seemed to make a difference in my commissions.  

Could you please advise more specifically what I should be doing?

Thank you.

Regards,
Ginger

P.S. - Thank you for the change that kept the storefronts free. I don't sell enough that I would have been able to keep mine active if there was a monthly fee.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #164 - Jun 5th, 2016, 2:39pm

Hi Ginger,

No, a link from your website won't be enough to see a difference from my experience.

Here is a place on the Community Blog where you'll see a section on Marketing which has good reads for you.
https://gcucommunity.com/artist-resources/

And if you do a search on the blog for Marketing you'll get many bits and pieces of value.
https://gcucommunity.com/tag/marketing/page/2/

Promoting yourself involves many things, but I've found that the first and most important steps are:

1- Great meta-tag data. This is CRITICAL to being found in today's SEO.

2- Keep your store alive weekly with new/improved content. Sites which are not fresh with new content at least weekly drop to the deep black hole of the bottom pile for external search engines.

Again, all this and more great articles on the blog on this subject.

Good luck!

Quote from Ginger_150679 on Jun 5th, 2016, 1:52pm:
2. Incent artists to take an active role in self-promotion driving traffic and sales

Hi -

Well, I realize I'm way behind the times, but just finally at the point in life that I have time to tackle this item.  I've read through various posts, but I'm not quite sure what I need to do.  I've had a link from my website (AZ-Artists.com - Details of Arizona) back since the time of the change, but that hasn't really seemed to make a difference in my commissions.  

Could you please advise more specifically what I should be doing?

Thank you.

Regards,
Ginger

P.S. - Thank you for the change that kept the storefronts free. I don't sell enough that I would have been able to keep mine active if there was a monthly fee.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.