Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13 (Read 71845 times)
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13
Reply #105 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:14pm

The eye roll was just meant to be a questioning look. : )  
I can see why this is upsetting. You have a lot of great cards, Donna.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #106 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:14pm

KC, with all due respect, there was NO communication of the commission restructuring at all prior to it occurring.  That's the lack of communication I am now referring to.

And Sandra, my apologies, I've gotten the eye roll before from folks usually meaning something nasty.  My bad if I misinterpreted.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #107 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:43pm

Thanks for finding the links Donna. I was going to post them, but needed to step out.

Regarding the link provided by KC... I never mentioned anything about the items listed in Nassar's post. I have not name called, assumed GCU was being sold, or thought that they were making money off of the interest my income earns while waiting for a payout.  

I have not, and will not insult GCU or any other artists. Also, my store is still open (I will make time to close it by the end of the week).

I do not agree with that post about the level of transparency that exists at GCU. Nothing was even hinted at about the commission cuts. The FAQs do hint at possible future fees though. Perhaps that is an attempt to be more transparent with upcoming changes.  

I could possibly understand "belt tightening" if GCU was suffering due to the recession. But would still expect some kind of communication.

Lisa

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #108 - Jul 24th, 2013, 2:31pm

Quote from KC_141411 on Jul 24th, 2013, 1:12pm:
I believe there has been a lot of communication in regards to this topic. Both Mindy and Nasser have answered many if not all questions. Here is a link to Nasser's post in which Sandra is referring to:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1373421546

KC, it is true that as well Mindy as Nasser have tried to answer some of the questions, and I for one do appreciate their honesty and the time put into that - as I do appreciate the apologies Nasser made for not having announced those big changes a little timelier, and the decision to bring the threshold for the 3rd quarter back to 75 $ . I have been reading each and every forum post from the moment I joined GCU, and have done real effort to try and understand all the arguments I could find, from all sides.  
However, as far as I can see it, a lot of questions have *not* been answered - and clearly not adequately enough to really settle and appease the unrest and feeling of insecurity by many of the artists, including myself. I don't know how many are still left with questions, since there are only a few who clearly speak out, many are quiet, and there are a good number of artists who have spoken in positive ways about the present changes too.  

Also, while the answers given by Mindy and Nasser definitely were a step in the right direction, I think it's quite natural that they may be cause to further questions to clarification. The fact that Nasser closes his answer with :  
Quote from Nasser_16 on Jul 9th, 2013, 6:59pm:
[...]
This will be my last post on this topic, we will not be making any further adjustments.   Thank you for your understanding and support.
 and that you now only are referring back to that post, closes the dialogue again, even before it has really begun, and doesn't leave any space for further clarification. Or does it? If so, I would love to hear that, to be invited to really formulate my further questions, and to see that others get that opportunity too. If not, then to me that only confirms the one-sidedness of this decision, and the take-it-or-leave-it attitude behind it. And, let it be clear, for now, my choice has clearly been to take it, no matter what.  

Because, as I have said before, as a new artist here at GCU, these new conditions have not influenced me as much as many other part-time artists. It just means I will earn only half of what it looked like when I just started, and that it will take double as long for me to even make a chance to reach the quota.  
I have nothing to complain about the way I have been introduced and still am being coached into this whole venture. On the contrary, I really am very positive about all the support and help I have received until now. I have the deepest appreciation and gratitude for the personal contacts with moderators, reviewers and more experienced artists on the forum, I am learning a lot, and I value that more than I can say. That's why I decided to hang on, and to put all my effort into this and give it a real chance - at least till after the Holidays Season. Somehow, I really want to believe it can work, and if not, I don't want to be left with the feeling I didn't give it my 100% commitment.  
However, this friendly and supportive atmosphere in the personal contacts with staff and co-artists alike is so contrasting with the whole atmosphere surrounding those global changes - and that's what confuses me, and makes me doubt my own observations ... I just don't really know what to believe, nor what to expect next.  
And it honestly surprises me that there seems to be so little understanding and real willingness to help and clarify when it comes to the questions artists still have about those big changes in policies and commissions. While, no doubt, those speaking up are still giving GCU the benefit of the doubt, and are actually making a big contribution by asking critical questions and suggesting alternatives... Or do I see that wrong too?

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #109 - Jul 24th, 2013, 5:18pm

Unfortunately, I think that you are correct in your concern over the dialogue being ended. GCU does not want to address it any further.

There are a few truths that many artists do not want to see here:

- GCU is a business plain and simple. Yes, the community is wonderful and the artists are willing to go the extra mile to help each other out. But, at the end of the day the business' bottom line takes precedence over the artists as people

- Many artist feel like running GCU is a team effort. Although this attitude has been nurtured by GCU, it is not so. When it comes to business decisions GCU is in control and feels no compunction to include the artists. I agree that their business should be their priority, but do not agree with them fuelling the "we are all in it together" mentality.

- IMHO GCU does not need any more card designs (especially en mass for traditional categories). They have more designs than they will ever need. Even if no one submits new designs, and a bunch of artist leave, they will still have more designs than they will ever need. Thus, threatening to close a store will have little to no affect on GCUs bottom line.  

- Many artists apologize and justify GCUs lack of communication by saying that GCU provides an opportunity to showcase their art. In this day and age, GCU is not the only avenue for this. POD resources are available to everyone very economically. For many artists, they could buy an inkjet printer, some fine art paper and print their own cards. I have set up at craft sales and made more in a weekend than I make at GCU (even after paying for supplies and table fees). Some artists do this and just have GCU print the cards using the artist's discount. They sell at craft fairs, online, or to local card shops. Opportunities to showcase art is everywhere now. GCU is not doing anything altruistic here.

When I signed up with GCU, the biggest selling point was that GCU would be taking care of the marketing and I could just focus on design. Now they want me to design AND market (for half the commission). Not only that, it is absolutely realistic that they will soon start charging for "premium services". I would rather funnel my time/money/energy into selling my own cards on my own. Heck, I already have designs done and the best season for card sales is right around the corner.

Whether artists choose to stay at GCU or not, I wish everyone the best in their future endeavours. If you would like to keep in touch, feel free to PM me with a contact addy.  

Lisa  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Ed_138263
artist

Reply #110 - Jul 24th, 2013, 8:49pm

Well said Lisa. I agree.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #111 - Jul 24th, 2013, 10:08pm

Quote from Lisa_133761 on Jul 24th, 2013, 5:18pm:
Not only that, it is absolutely realistic that they will soon start charging for "premium services".

We have no intention of implementing anything like this.  This verbiage has been included in our FAQ for years (possibly since the site was created 6 years ago), but we've never seriously considered anything like this.  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #112 - Jul 24th, 2013, 11:26pm

Quote from Shaun_131054 on Jul 24th, 2013, 10:08pm:
Not only that, it is absolutely realistic that they will soon start charging for "premium services".

We have no intention of implementing anything like this.  This verbiage has been included in our FAQ for years (possibly since the site was created 6 years ago), but we've never seriously considered anything like this.  

Shaun

Thank you Shaun, for that answer and clarification.  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #113 - Jul 25th, 2013, 3:26am

shameful we can't get more communication on the numerous other questions popping up.  I agree with Steppeland that it might ease a lot of tensions.  Yeah, I am very aware this is their business and the bottom line is of most importance, but sorry - I just cannot fathom why there was less than 24 hours notice on decreasing fees - the explanation was poor at best and the apology I accept but its not enough because of this them and us attitude now.  

Right now, I'm moving on.  It's obvious there is indeed a split between the providers of the products and the people making the bulk of the profits.  Show me how I am hurting this company that you can decrease my fees for being a smaller volume seller when the products are exactly the same.

But there won't be any discussion - it is a "take it or leave it" thing now.  Shame - real shame.

Lisa, I hope to take your advice and expand beyond GCU in time.  Belt tightening could easily have been explained months ago and very much acceptable.  

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #114 - Jul 25th, 2013, 4:38am

Quote from Shaun_131054 on Jul 24th, 2013, 10:08pm:

Shaun

Shaun - It is hard for me to believe that there are no plans to implement charging for "premium services". After all, there is NO mention in the faqs of the possibility of commissions being cut in the future, but here we are.

Lisa

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #115 - Jul 25th, 2013, 5:35am

Quote from Lisa_133761 on Jul 25th, 2013, 4:38am:

Shaun - It is hard for me to believe that there are no plans to implement charging for "premium services". After all, there is NO mention in the faqs of the possibility of commissions being cut in the future, but here we are.

Lisa

Lisa, it may true be that there are no plans for that at all right now, like Shaun said. But that doesn't mean it won't happen ... We've seen that things can be changed on very short notice. And no one of us will probably ever know how long ahead of time that was planned?!  Wink - And whether or not it was mentioned already for years in the FAQS, that didn't make a major difference either, isn't it? [sigh]  

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #116 - Jul 25th, 2013, 5:36am

Exactly.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_131437
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #117 - Jul 25th, 2013, 6:42am

I rarely stop into the GCU forum, but I read about this discussion on another board. Wow, this is all very discouraging. I'd always had good feelings toward GCU, and Mindy has been extremely helpful and encouraging to me here, and she seems like a sincerely nice person. That said, GCU has gone the way of (seemingly) all PODs and pulled the rug out from under the creators who helped make it work. ALL of my GCU sales occur in Q4 (I focus exclusively on Christmas and Festivus), so I'll get hammered from the changes. I won't go as far to say I'll close my shop, but it's sad that the POD world is heading this way and that GCU is going along with it.

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #118 - Jul 25th, 2013, 9:04am

Every time I get an email about a contest or a reminder that I need to work harder, I get sick to my stomach.  I'm closing my store because I can't in good conscience make money for people that don't respect me enough to pay a descent wage and in my opinion, are traitors.  This way of doing business has brought down civilizations.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #119 - Jul 25th, 2013, 10:19am

I completely understand your frustration Marie.  

I thought everyone would get a good chuckle about a conversation I had with my husband last night:

ME: maybe I should just stop designing cards and just sell them and get the referral commission. That way I don't have to spend hours designing and all the headaches with reviewer approvals and such. They are saying that we should be able to make the thresholds if we just work harder at marketing and selling anyway.

HUBBY: that might be a good idea. You won't make as much, but it is better than exhausting yourself for such a small artist commission.

ME: no, it doesn't work that way at GCU. Referral commissions are $0.50 per card. Artist commissions are $0.25 ish per card - depending on discounts, promotions, and bulk orders - then it could be less - unless I meet the threshold, then it might be more. So far this month I have sold 46 cards and it averaged out to be $0.24 per card. I would have to sell 7 cards per day to meet the threshold.

HUBBY: you're kidding me, right? Sales commissions are more than what the artists make? Are there thresholds for selling?

ME: there aren't any thresholds for selling.

HUBBY: what's there to think about? Obviously they don't want new cards, they just want salespeople.  

ME: hmmmmm

I guess it is so much easier to see clearly when you are on the outside looking in.

Lisa

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.