Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13 (Read 71847 times)
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Earnings Modifications Effective 7/01/13
Reply #90 - Jul 24th, 2013, 7:19am

and remember, you don't even have control over what even goes into your stores.  All submissions must be made within THEIR guidelines of marketability therefore eliminating every artist's decision to choose what work they wish to submit.  

I'm just adding stuff as I see fit, I've started a blog, but believe me, it will be when I feel like it - not because GCU is requiring me to do the marketing for the products they are taking the bulk of the profits on.  There has been no insight on exactly what it is the overhead costs are - I have no idea why I have to give up part of my commission and let them keep it when I'm producing exactly the same kind of product even though sales might be less.  

THAT I will not understand.

I would love for GCU to tell those of us not meeting this threshold how is it we are costing GCU money and entitling them to keep the part of the payment that otherwise should be mine when the products produced are exactly the same as the high ranked sellers?

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #91 - Jul 24th, 2013, 7:52am

I actually feel bad for well established artists on GCU. I say this because they will soon feel like they are being held hostage to GCUs whims. If things continue to go the way I think it will, established artists will have invested so much time/money/energy to GCU, they will feel that they have no choice but accept the changes as they come.

I have worked very hard to get my store to 2500 cards. If GCU decides to arbitrarily charge a fee based on the number of cards in a store, what should I do? Lets say they decide that they will charge $2.99/month for stores with 2000-5000 cards and $9.99 for those who exceed 5000. Is it worth it to me to pay this "nominal fee"? Or do I just close shop? The more cards I have, the harder this decision will be.

What about paying a "nominal fee" for improvements or tools that will potentially improve the exposure of my cards? Artists with a lot of cards will feel that all of their hard work will be wasted if they do not opt in.

The current FAQs confirm my suspicions that this could easily become reality for GCU artists.

Q1:      Does it cost anything?
A1:      No, your artist account is completely free.  As we make improvements we may offer some advanced services and features at a nominal fee.  You will be clearly notified if and when these are made available.

Q27:      Is there a limit to the number of cards I can offer?
A27:      No, there is not a limit at this time. In the future, depending on usage there may be a limit or a nominal fee for a premium number of cards offered.

Lisa

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #92 - Jul 24th, 2013, 8:00am

considering that it takes 2 months or better for cards to be reviewed, it will be a LONG time before I end up with the quantity you have.  And considering the path with which GCU is going, the fact that they have broken my trust in cutting my commissions in half with NO notification of changes and setting an amount I HAVE to now meet in sales to get the higher pay AND asking me to do more work on top of it, it's really hard swallowing this.  Honestly, if the fee were reasonable, I'd almost go in for it like a yearly membership and be done with it - but at least not under the pressure to do all they are now asking and trying to make products to fill my store.

I don't know what the answer is, but right now, I can take it or leave it - until they decide where GCU is going as a company, and until they do whatever it is they are going to do to make this company thrive, I just can't sink a lot of time into this, and as I said, I'm not sacrificing time away from what is making me money.  If they can tell me I am COSTING GCU money just because I am not a high volume seller, then maybe I'll make some permanent decisions on my membership here.

I am sure the big sellers are going to just go in on it - after all, there is another thread honking the praises of GCU, some of which I do agree and some I do not - not now anyway.

It's a day by day thing for me.  As I've now concluded, I'll do the best I can and that's all there is to it.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #93 - Jul 24th, 2013, 8:09am

Lisa and Donna, I absolutely agree with the remarks you are making in the post right above here. I'm only a beginning artist on GCU, and I didn't let the recent changes let me shy away of making a real start and continuing to upload my work. But I am worried about the same points you mention, Lisa - and I too would really appreciate more openness and dialogue from GCU's side about statistics they used to base their thresholds on, overhead costs, business year reports of previous years, and future plans... More communication about this would definitely give me a sense of appreciation and partnership - instead of the insecurity and lack of trust caused by the suddenness and onesidedness in which decisions have been taken now.  Huh

Steppeland - Photography and Card Design/Fotografie en Kaart Ontwerp.:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/steppeland
Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #94 - Jul 24th, 2013, 8:17am

the one-sidedness of GCU has me VERY concerned. The secretiveness of how this business is functioning is starting to send up red flags that perhaps most of what is touted isn't true at all.  

I really would prefer to see open communication between Admin and the artists - much MORE than has occurred in the past.  I think if there had been more openness to begin with, these changes would have been easier to swallow - and given fuel to many more to want to give more to make GCU thrive.  As I am concerned with the way it stands now, they might be doing some marketing and the printing and the reviewing, but I'd love to see a side by side cost per card and know what exactly GCU gets in the end for profits that are making it where only some of us (those meeting the threshold) get to have 50% MORE in commissions from those who do not.

This one point is sitting in my craw and I just can't wrap my head around.

YES, I am well aware of the encouragement and advice given to meet with success, but with that comes some trust in the business, and I'm not feeling that trust right now.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133761
artist

Reply #95 - Jul 24th, 2013, 10:14am

I completely agree with all you have said Donna.

It is funny that GCU feels it unnecessary to communicate appropriately with the artists that provide the products they sell. I also have to chuckle when GCU gives the impression that we need to help them as they deal with "growing pains". They are no longer a "start up" and should have their business model in place.  

With the amount of revenue growth they have experienced, you would think that the artists would be the last to be trampled upon.

Here is a quote from 2010:.  

"Our Christmas cards started selling as early as July this year which made us quite optimistic on strong 3rd and 4th quarters. This November our sales grew 104% over last November. Leaps and bounds over the estimated online sales growth average of only 13% this year according to research firm comScore” shares Rosso. “Even considering our discounts, we still posted 82% growth on net earnings and a staggering 760% growth of year-to-year sales on Black Friday"

And one from April of this year:

"One hour local pickup has been a very popular feature with Greeting Card Universe web site customers for over six months, leading to a 15% percent increase in sales, and helping the company continue to achieve between 50-100% annual growth rates since 2008"

Unless stated otherwise by GCU, I can only assume that they are not suffering from the recession as many others are. They are continuing to grow despite the recession.  

Hmmmm.

Lisa

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #96 - Jul 24th, 2013, 10:21am

all the more reason to not trust what they claim as being the company in trouble.  To me, and especially now after your cited comments to the press, I'd really question the honesty value set by the people running the show here.  This to me is just another means of putting more money into their pockets.  You cannot tell people at large how incredible your company is and then expect the artists providing you with the products leading to such growth in sales.  Sorry, just not buying it.

And I know from many of the other posts by disgruntled artists, many feel the same way and then there are those that are just going to sugar coat this.

As I said, for me now, my focus is on what is making me money - this is an afterthought now.  Until GCU regains my trust, I cannot be expected to work harder if you cannot show me WHY you had to cut my commissions supposedly because your expense lines are bigger.  

Communication is vital at this point in time.  And doubtful we will get any further answers or insight.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #97 - Jul 24th, 2013, 10:40am

Quote from Lisa_133761 on Jul 24th, 2013, 10:14am:

Here is a quote from 2010:

"Our Christmas cards started selling as early as July this year which made us quite optimistic on strong 3rd and 4th quarters. This November our sales grew 104% over last November. Leaps and bounds over the estimated online sales growth average of only 13% this year according to research firm comScore” shares Rosso. “Even considering our discounts, we still posted 82% growth on net earnings and a staggering 760% growth of year-to-year sales on Black Friday"

And one from April of this year:

"One hour local pickup has been a very popular feature with Greeting Card Universe web site customers for over six months, leading to a 15% percent increase in sales, and helping the company continue to achieve between 50-100% annual growth rates since 2008"

Lisa, I think this is very interesting. If these quotes were made either in public or on the forum, would you please be willing to link us to the source? - thanks a lot!  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #98 - Jul 24th, 2013, 10:53am

here's the April post http://www.internetretailer.com/2013/04/25/greeting-card-universe-launches-mobil e-greeting-card-service

and another with a headline of "Record Growth"

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/12/prweb4844144.htm

This is all public stuff.

Email   IP Logged
Steppeland_231500

Reply #99 - Jul 24th, 2013, 12:21pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jul 24th, 2013, 10:53am:

Thanks Donna! I really find it interesting to read this within the article context  Huh

Email   IP Logged
Carrie_226123
GCU Newbies

Reply #100 - Jul 24th, 2013, 12:55pm

Thanks for the articles, I did not realize they were part of such a big corporate entity. I thought they were a start up like Etsy.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #101 - Jul 24th, 2013, 12:59pm

that's why this whole situation is even more disheartening.  It doesn't make sense to cut artist commissions in half if the company is making public statements as to what their "profit" percentages are.  

I'm sorry to anyone who thinks all I do is complain, but I just see no logic behind this - the equation is not balanced. Huh

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #102 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:04pm

Donna, just a thought. Maybe the reason they are growing is the increase in spending to promote and advertise. Nassar mentioned that in response to people questioning this on the Forum. Not sure where on the Forum it was, though.  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #103 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:06pm

Sanda, eye roll aside, but really - to just all of a sudden drop commissions in half?  Sorry, I just don't get it.

A little communication can't be much to ask, really???

Email   IP Logged
KC_141411
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #104 - Jul 24th, 2013, 1:12pm

I believe there has been a lot of communication in regards to this topic. Both Mindy and Nasser have answered many if not all questions. Here is a link to Nasser's post in which Sandra is referring to:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1373421546

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.