Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

can I get advice on this card image? (Read 2870 times)
Terri_138640
artist

can I get advice on this card image?
Jun 23rd, 2013, 8:55am

It's done in Corel Painter Essentials and I've never done a card completely in that before. I know I may need to fiddle with margins and text alignment some. But my main question is how to make it clear in the art that it's a 'balloon' bear. I have a string drawn in there, but I'm not so sure about it.  undecided  Maybe a ribbon would look better? Or the string should be somewhere else?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/On6y0_zVe97nH2S5e4ZpaHQ_cjAKvO-Q0-FlgT9AP8
U?feat=directlink

Thanks for any advice!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: can I get advice on this card image?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:09am

The link is bad Sad

Also the Critique Clinic is open for the w/e on the GCU Community Blog, exactly for this purpose and I'm sure Corrie's input would be invaluable Smiley

http://gcucommunity.com/2013/06/21/critique-clinic-june-21-23-2013/

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:49am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:09am:
The link is bad Sad

Also the Critique Clinic is open for the w/e on the GCU Community Blog, exactly for this purpose and I'm sure Corrie's input would be invaluable Smiley

Thanks
I just wasn't sure I could post there if it wasn't 'up' yet. (Even in the private gallery)

Guess the forum doesn't like my picasa link! undecided

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:15am

Quote from Terri_138640 on Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:49am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:09am:
The link is bad Sad

Thanks
I just wasn't sure I could post there if it wasn't 'up' yet. (Even in the private gallery)

Guess the forum doesn't like my picasa link! undecided

You can ... Corrie changed the guidelines so it's open to 'potential' card designs too Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Nancy_142840
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2013, 1:57pm

if you copy and paste the entire link it works  =)

I would say take the word  On  out of there

Make Happy Birthday on the bear a Little bit bigger maybe

Email   IP Logged
vicky_132049
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2013, 3:00pm

Hi, challenging card. First of all, you need some reflections--you can do that by drawing little curved triangles or rectangles in white or yellowish-white, in roughly the same place on each balloon, or you can use radial (round) gradients to do this. The reflections could go the whole length of the balloon, or just a small curved triangle is enough. Also, balloons are never perfectly round. The round ones are more egg-shaped, tapering where the string is attached. The ones on the bottom should be the same as each other--you have one round one and one oval. The balloons on the side would be tilting up a bit on the right, at the bear's "hands" since helium is pushing the balloons up. Try Googling for some photo reference for floating balloons. You might want to put the bear on a bit of a diagonal to show it's floating in the breeze. Since the string is going off to the left, that shows the wind is blowing to the right, so the bear should tilt right. The string should be longer unless you want to show that it broke off. I think the string should go right off the page. Light source, balloon shape, and taking the effects of the helium and the wind on the bears would make this more convincing. You could use a combination of balloon size and shape, the way balloon animals are made.

Also, more complicated, you're not showing how the balloons are tied together. Balloons couldn't naturally group into a bear. You need to look up "balloon animals" online and use photo reference. It doesn't have to show a lot of detail, just show where the balloons are joined in a more realistic way. Here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=balloon+animals&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS509US509& ;source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zcDIUbqTLIHwiwKDrIH4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=699

Vicky

how to make it clear in the art that it's a 'balloon' bear. I have a string drawn in there, but I'm not so sure about it.  undecided  Maybe a ribbon would look better? Or the string should be somewhere else?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/On6y0_zVe97nH2S5e4ZpaHQ_cjAKvO-Q0-FlgT9AP8
U?feat=directlink

Thanks for any advice!  Smiley [/quote]

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2013, 8:01am

Quote from vicky_132049 on Jun 24th, 2013, 3:00pm:
Hi, challenging card. First of all, you need some reflections--you can do that by drawing little curved triangles or rectangles in white or yellowish-white, in roughly the same place on each balloon, or you can use radial (round) gradients to do this. The reflections could go the whole length of the balloon, or just a small curved triangle is enough. Also, balloons are never perfectly round. The round ones are more egg-shaped, tapering where the string is attached. The ones on the bottom should be the same as each other--you have one round one and one oval. The balloons on the side would be tilting up a bit on the right, at the bear's "hands" since helium is pushing the balloons up. Try Googling for some photo reference for floating balloons. You might want to put the bear on a bit of a diagonal to show it's floating in the breeze. Since the string is going off to the left, that shows the wind is blowing to the right, so the bear should tilt right. The string should be longer unless you want to show that it broke off. I think the string should go right off the page. Light source, balloon shape, and taking the effects of the helium and the wind on the bears would make this more convincing. You could use a combination of balloon size and shape, the way balloon animals are made.

Also, more complicated, you're not showing how the balloons are tied together. Balloons couldn't naturally group into a bear. You need to look up "balloon animals" online and use photo reference. It doesn't have to show a lot of detail, just show where the balloons are joined in a more realistic way. Here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=balloon+animals&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS509US509& ;source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zcDIUbqTLIHwiwKDrIH4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=699

Vicky

how to make it clear in the art that it's a 'balloon' bear. I have a string drawn in there, but I'm not so sure about it.  undecided  Maybe a ribbon would look better? Or the string should be somewhere else?

U?feat=directlink

Thanks for any advice!  Smiley
[/quote]
Thanks!
I see from that image link. The reflections themselves hint at how they are tied. Of course, I'll probably need to switch to GIMP or PSD to get the tilting. Sadly Corel Painter Essentials only lets me tilt the whole image. (I wonder if the full version lets you do it.)  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.