Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

signatures in images? (Read 3305 times)
Winston_232180
GCU Newbies

signatures in images?
May 24th, 2013, 7:11pm

i do a lot of gallery shows, and also sell prints online, and i always use signed images - my signature is embedded in the image file, lower right corner, in an unobtrusive color. what's GCU's position on signatures in the image for cards? assuming it's "legal", is it better to leave that in or out from the card buyer's perspective?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: signatures in images?
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2013, 7:35pm

Hi Winston,

I too have been in the gallery world and I found that my sales soared when I removed the signature to the point it was difficult to find.  I do often put a İSalonOfArt somewhere 'hidden' in the image, but not usually where it is visible to the buyer or recipient.

GCU will ask for signatures, if you must have one, to be very unobtrusive and in fact will return/decline cards with signatures that are unappealing (many old cards, those prior to the submission guidelines, are being weeded through).

Here is a blog post that you might find helpful:

http://gcucommunity.com/2013/03/04/dash-of-inspiration-sign-of-the-times/

Email   IP Logged
Winston_232180
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2013, 8:41pm

thanks, Doreen. i'll remove the signatures from the images i submit yo GCU...  as far as removing for gallery displays, every gallery owner i've worked with says my images should be signed. i do it unobtrusively, where you usually have to be looking for it to even notice, but i've always been told it should be there. it's interesting that your experience seems to indicate the opposite is true!

Email   IP Logged
Alan_228192
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2013, 6:31am

Hi Winston,

I got advice a few years ago when I put my first prints in a gallery / show to not sign the prints on the wall but put a small sign nearby saying that buyers can have the print signed by the artist if required and about 50% of the time people asked for it and others said they preferred it without so I always do it that way now.

Good article by Doreen there by the way  Smiley Some very useful tricks to use. I make a point of keeping a separate folder with the original files of all my work before I do anything at all to them. If it came to it I can then produce the original photo in colour without any cropping and with all my copyright info embedded.

As Doreen says though, a determined thief will steal it either way but you can make it difficult for them. If they want to scan a card all they'll get is a scan of a small photo which will never be as good as the original.. And they have to buy it first  Grin

For me I use copyright embedded files in a small resolution on my website and so far it hasn't had any negative affect on the amount of sales. Genuine customers will see past the copyright to the image and buy it either way if they like it.  

Here's what I mean.. http://alanharmanphotography.com/

I also try to only use POD sites that prevent right clicking or add a big watermark on zoom. The first thing  I try whenever I look at a new POD is upload something simple and then try all my extensive range of tricks to steal it.. If it's too easy I run away screaming!

But to get back to the signatures.. I would leave it off unless you're doing a limited print then sign and number each one.

Best of luck,

Alan

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2013, 8:17am

Quote from Winston_232180 on May 24th, 2013, 8:41pm:
thanks, Doreen. i'll remove the signatures from the images i submit yo GCU...  as far as removing for gallery displays, every gallery owner i've worked with says my images should be signed. i do it unobtrusively, where you usually have to be looking for it to even notice, but i've always been told it should be there. it's interesting that your experience seems to indicate the opposite is true!

I'm sorry, I didn't make that clear.  In the gallery world, like you, my work was always signed and in fact most were signed editions many as Giclee prints.  I meant that when I removed the signatures on my cards here at GCU I noticed the sales improvement.

Email   IP Logged
Winston_232180
GCU Newbies

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2013, 5:27pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on May 25th, 2013, 8:17am:

I'm sorry, I didn't make that clear.  In the gallery world, like you, my work was always signed and in fact most were signed editions many as Giclee prints.  I meant that when I removed the signatures on my cards here at GCU I noticed the sales improvement.

thanks, Doreen.... i kinda figured on removing  my signature from submittals here anyway - i almost never see artists' names on card prints. but i generally see them on gallery prints...

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2013, 6:32pm

Quote from Winston_232180 on May 31st, 2013, 5:27pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on May 25th, 2013, 8:17am:

thanks, Doreen.... i kinda figured on removing  my signature from submittals here anyway - i almost never see artists' names on card prints. but i generally see them on gallery prints...

Yes, that's been my experience too Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Trish_136241
artist

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2013, 8:41am

Huh Huh Huh HuhYou know, the sad thing is when I started making cards in 09, I didn't put my copyright on them because I wanted to be anonymous, but the review team insisted, then I made it barely noticeable and they got on me  for not making it MORE visible-
Now I look through my store and see so MANY that have obvious copyrights that I am going to have to try to find the originals of to fix before they get deleted.  It will make the cards alot better, I cringe when one sells that has a visible copyright now. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Someone say a little prayer for me cuz it's been a big challenge.  I do think it will be worth it, though.  I've been working on cards again, both new and renewed ones.   Grin

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.