Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

wording vs blank inside (Read 5136 times)
randall_205847
GCU Newbies

wording vs blank inside
Apr 21st, 2013, 5:24am

Do cards sell better if the front and inside are blank or do most want the words they can't or don't want to write written out for them . Should the front only be blank or?   I know there is no set theme just looking for guidance and direction.
Thanks Randall

Email   IP Logged
Michael_197150

Re: wording vs blank inside
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2013, 5:39am

Randall, both sell, however, I have found for me that cards with verse sell better. When creating a design I try to create one blank, one very generic and the specific ones. That way I cover the all bases. Having that ability is what makes this a great place, the artist can meet the needs of a wider range of customers with the least amount of effort. Some other art sites that sell art prints and cards cannot offer that flexibility as well as GCU.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2013, 5:41am

what categories do you place blank cards?  I kept wondering how to accomplish this with some of my designs - in wanting to just put the artwork/photo up and leave room for people to choose its purpose and verse.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2013, 8:13am

There have been other threads on GCU where people have discussed this. I believe that what they've said is that the blank cards sell better to people in Europe. Americans want a verse inside.  

Not sure if that says we Americans are lazier or what. Maybe Europeans are more old fashioned and like to personalize in their own hand. I'm sure there's a reason for the difference, but I'm not sure what it is. Smiley

I believe there's a specific category under Collections for cards that are blank inside.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2013, 8:16am

Sherry is remembering accurately from another thread.

In my case cards with verse sell 50 to 1 over blank cards, but it also depends on how well you write a verse and how well the verse plays off the image I'm sure.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2013, 8:17am

Collections > Any Occasion / Blank Note Cards Cards

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2013, 8:18am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Apr 21st, 2013, 5:41am:
what categories do you place blank cards?  I kept wondering how to accomplish this with some of my designs - in wanting to just put the artwork/photo up and leave room for people to choose its purpose and verse.  

Donna, truly blank cards (no words on the front and no words on the inside) have a home under Collections >> Blank Cards. They can not be placed in other categories, because remember the key to choosing a category is: "A card can only be what it is, not what it could be".

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2013, 8:20am

I think Doreen and Sherry are one hundred percent correct.  Europeans are more independent when it comes to the verses.  But, then they should be aware they can change the text any way they want, and we do not know any part of what goes on there, so they could be buying text but leaving with blank notes.  

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Lisa_214209

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2013, 5:34am

I do both... I feel this way it fills a need in my shop, plus since cards are able to be customized, then if the customer wants to add something specific on the inside they can.  

La Belle Paperie, Artistic Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LaBellePaperie
Email   IP Logged
Alan_228192
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2013, 3:15am

I do only photo cards with no text on front or inside mostly because they are the type of cards I buy. Personally, as  a customer in a shop, I find cards with messages or verses to be overly sentimental and insincere but that's just me.. I'm a bit of a cynic..
From a selling point of view I sell more blank photo cards in Europe than in the US. People over here definitely seem to like to choose their own message and it's a bonus if the picture on the front will look nice up on the fireplace Smiley
I mostly switched to buying blank photo cards because I got fed up with spending ages in shops reading through dozens of cards and never finding one that said what I wanted to and invariably ended up with a blank photo card or I just do something daft like send someone a christmas card for their birthday!
I think what you've all said below makes sense though, do both and cover all the bases.. Now I just need to find someone who can write poetry 'cos I'm rubbish!  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Alan_228192
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2013, 3:20am

Oh yeah, on the question of where to put blank photo cards. I came across a note in a cards 101 thing a few days ago that said that if you are doing a blank photo  card with no text at least one of your categories has to be this one..

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/any-occasion-blank-note-cards/ph oto-cards-your-picture-here

You can then choose any other category for the other though collections/blank note cards seems a likely one..

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2013, 7:51am

Quote from Alan_228192 on May 30th, 2013, 3:20am:
Oh yeah, on the question of where to put blank photo cards. I came across a note in a cards 101 thing a few days ago that said that if you are doing a blank photo  card with no text at least one of your categories has to be this one..

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/any-occasion-blank-note-cards/ph oto-cards-your-picture-here

You can then choose any other category for the other though collections/blank note cards seems a likely one..

That is true for Photo Cards as in 'put your photo here' using GCU's Custom Software, not photo cards with photographic imagery.  Just so you are clear Smiley

Blank cards with photographs or art on the front and no text should go in the Collections >> Blank Cards categories and there are many of them to choose from which for a best fit for theme.

Email   IP Logged
Alan_228192
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2013, 8:41am

Ah, thanks Doreen, I' thought that was a bit odd but I put some of mine in there just in case.. Thanks for clarifying  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2013, 8:57am

Quote from Alan_228192 on May 30th, 2013, 8:41am:
Ah, thanks Doreen, I' thought that was a bit odd but I put some of mine in there just in case.. Thanks for clarifying  

You're welcome Smiley  You are going to want to remove them from that category and choose the correct set of categories from here: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/any-occasion-blank-note-cards#pa ge=1&prodpagesize=30&sort=new
 before the reviewers get to them. The reviewers will kick any cards that are not Custom Front Photo Cards back to you if they are placed in the Collections > Any Occasion / Blank Note Cards Cards > Photo Cards / Your Picture Here category.

Email   IP Logged
Alan_228192
GCU Newbies

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2013, 9:27am

Thanks Doreen, I'll do that..

With the review rate I reckon I've got a couple of weeks at least.. I'm up to 2 months now!  Angry

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.