Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Best Programs/Stock Photo sites (Read 3275 times)
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Best Programs/Stock Photo sites
Apr 8th, 2013, 11:03am

I have been doing this for many years, using photoshop elements and, believe it or not, a very old Picture Me program. What is your favorite design program? Where do you get stock photos? Up until now I have relied on my sister or myself for original art, but I've come up with some new ideas I can't seem to acquire images for. It seems as though I need some new tricks up my sleeve to keep up with all these incredible new designs! I know I can do it, I just need some help. Any suggestions for good programs? Does anyone use an iPad to draw or do you still stick with a bamboo tablet? (I still use my mouse!)

Email   IP Logged
Carol_216695

Re: Best Programs/Stock Photo sites
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2013, 11:17am

I use Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 and have used them since they were first developed (yup, I'm that old)  undecided

I do not know HOW anyone uses a mouse  Shocked I use a drawing "pad" although not a brand name. I would be lost without it.

I have gotten into the habit of taking pictures of almost anything and everything to try and increase my own stock of clip art. I use illustrator to draw anything I need.  

I am a Photoshop/Illustrator FREAK. I could live without food before I could live without these programs. I've been lucky since I bought them so many years ago I get "upgrade" prices on them. I can completely understand people not purchasing them today. Photoshop Elements is very close to Photoshop, however, and reasonably priced.

My hat is off to you using a mouse.  

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2013, 11:21am

I use a Wacom Tablet - couldn't imagine going back to a mouse after using it for so long - I do my own photography - and I use Photoshop and Illustrator for my designs -  

I offer some photos as stock - on my website - www.pattipicsphotography.com  (check under the commercial section)  you have to be careful when using any micro stock sites as most do not allow you to use them on POD sites at all -  

Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2013, 11:31am

I had a tablet but I could never get it to work right... perhaps I just need a tutorial. I'm one of those people who have a hard time learning new things if it takes more than ten minutes.... I know that's terrible.

Email   IP Logged
olga_224305
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2013, 11:42am

Photoshop CS5 can not live without. I do my own photography - just recently upgraded the lighting.
I would not to want to use stock images - for me composition is not the last thing in the image - and
I simply would not be able to get the angles i want. photography in itself is a fantastic creative exercise for me.
Learning how to use Wacom tablet - that goes very painful, do not have enough time to practice.

I find Youtube and lynda tutorials are very helpful with every aspect of learning and mastering tools.

Upgrading the skills all the time is the key

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2013, 12:16pm

I use photoshop elements and have for years. I'd love to have CS5, but can't afford it. I got a Wacom frawig pad for Christmas, but haven't used it much. I work on a laptop so I use the built in mouse which is just a pad on the computer. So far it's worked for me.

I draw some of my things and use clipart from different CU4CU sources. I'm starting to take photos for my new shop. We'll see if  they are approved. Smiley

I've looked at stock photo places but they usually don't allow POD. You can also look for photos on the internet that are in the public domain. I've done that a few times. There are some places that allow all commercial use.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_137209
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2013, 12:51pm

I am one of the few who uses Paintshop Pro. I have an older program, it is X2 but am thinking of upgrading.

I can't do anything with a mouse, haven't used one in years.

I had photoshop elements but something happened to it, and it stopped working. I am totally happy with Paintshop Pro and don't even have any desire to try Photoshop.

I sometimes use my touch pad, but I usually use my Bamboo drawing tablet. Nothing beats a drawing tablet for detail work. I love it.

There are a few sites I get clip art and photos from, but I mostly use my own art. I did pay for a six months subscription to outlawbydesign. But I have been editing the images quite a bit.  

I have some index cards with free for commercial use sites on them. If I need a particular image I go to those, but usually can't find what I want. I searched it seems like forever to find a photograph of just a flat lace design. Finally found one!  

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2013, 7:36pm

Photoshop CS5 and a Wacom Intuos 5 touch.  I usually have a sketch layer using the brush tool at about 3 px.  Then I build layers over the sketch using whatever is necessary: pen, brushes, masking, text, gradients, etc.  And I've learned how to do most of this over the last six months.

Any photography I use is stuff either my husband, one of my kids or I have taken.  I love to create landscapes and seascapes from our photographs.  I have some Father's Day cards I hope to have approved soon demonstrating this technique.

I used to use MS Publisher with some editing in Photoshop, because I was comfortable with it and got good results.  I took an online course by Deke McLelland on Photoshop CS5 on Lynda.com and have sort of been kicking myself for not doing it sooner.  I had no idea on how severely I was limiting myself and my artwork.

The next courses I'm taking are Adobe Illustrator.  Deke McLelland does a fabulous introductory course on AI and with the Adobe Bridge, the back and forth is supposed to be super easy between Ps and AI.  I'm sure there are a lot of artists on GCU who've been at this for a while.

The course cost me about $25.  Lynda.com is $25 per month, and it's super easy to discontinue or start up again at a moment's notice, and you can take as many courses as you like while you are signed up.

I also love, love, love Dover clipart and have signed up for their free design sampler.

Also ... a side note.  On one of my Zazzle sites, I used a Mother Teresa quote for an engagement card.  After three years and many sales, Zazzle took the card down and told me it violated copyright.  I contacted the Mother Teresa Center and after many months, they granted me permission to use the quote on my products.  They sent me the paperwork last week.  The point is, if you want to use a quote, it never hurts to ask!  And now I know to ask first. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Valerie_148812
artist

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2013, 8:59am

I'm a big fan of photoshop and illustrator.  Just started using a bamboo tablet.  It's been interesting.  For my non photography stuff, I usually sketch it out by hand, scan it and then go over it and color in Illustrator using a wireless mouse.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.