Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Does anyone do well with photos (Read 5071 times)
randall_205847
GCU Newbies

Does anyone do well with photos
Mar 11th, 2013, 12:18pm

Does anyone ever do really well with mainly photos and not graphic designs?
Thanks Randall

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Re: Does anyone do well with photos
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013, 12:28pm

I have both in my store. The ones that seem to sell the best (for me) are the ones where I have a photo embellished with graphic design.

Email   IP Logged
Carole_223037
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2013, 12:28pm

I'm a newbie too, Randall. I think it depends on your photographs. I have been doing some collages with mine like Stephanie Laird. You can check out her cards on here. She has quite a few. I think it depends on what kind of cards you make and how well your images go with that type of card. I also think you have to start thinking of taking photographs in terms of what makes a good greeting card.

Carole

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_137209
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2013, 12:39pm

I do have some cards with photos and some with graphic design.

Looking back at the cards I have sold this year so far, most orders were for graphic design cards.
But I did have one order for 25 cards with a photo of a white rose.  

One card that sold was a photo taken by my husband's cousin's son, used with his permission. He is a guy who loves bicycling so he gets some interesting outdoor pictures.  

One card was a public domain image of a kitten with really frantic looking fur. The card is a "Don't be afraid. Turning sixty doesn't hurt a bit".

I began switching more to graphic design about a year ago. It has become harder and harder to get photos approved here. All in all, I sell more graphic designs than photo cards. They take longer to make, but I have found the images are more versatile.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2013, 12:55pm

Randall,

I do really well with photographs, digitally combined photographs (like Stephanie's already mentioned) and graphics.  With photographs there are two things which make it stand out.

One is the quality of the photograph, they have to be top notch to catch a buyers eye over and over again.  Secondly, you absolutely have to be good at tying in a verse that speaks to the photograph and then tie that to the category.  I've always followed the rule that if a photograph doesn't immediately speak to me, then it won't make a good card ... that has always worked well for me.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2013, 1:45pm

Randall,

Guess if you're Randall, I'll be Randy. Hope you're not a Brit or that may come off wrong!  Grin

Ninety percent of what I do is strictly photography.  Doreen is mostly right, although I don't think it's so much the quality of the photo as it is that the photo speaks for the sentiment you're trying to convey.  The quality is more GCU in that the reviewers are very selective to what photos they are accepting for card designs.  GCU has always maintained certain guidelines, but only within the past year or so raised the bar and are enforcing those standards to what some are calling higher standards in the submission process.  They're not really new standards, rather in the past, reviewers were more lenient as GCU was trying to build product fast.  Now, with many more companies stepping into the P.O.D. arena, it's imperative that a company only puts out professional, top notch products to seperate themselves from any competition.

So as Doreen mentioned, "you absolutely have to be good at tying in a verse that speaks to the photograph and then tie that to the category ...," making sure to be direct, eliminating distractions in the photo which don't relate to the category or subject in your verse and following the rules of a professional quality editorial photo, good focus, composition and lighting.

By following the guidelines and being creative in writing verse to fit your photos, you should do well here.  Most all who like Doreen know how to do that, do quite nicely with their photography.  I'm doing OK and though not of the greeting card genre caliber like others here, have enjoyed relative success considering the learning curve from a professional photographer to that of a greeting card artist.   Not giving up my photography yet to just create cards - I'm a growing boy that's got to eat!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Best Always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Carole_223037
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2013, 2:05pm

For those who do photography cards, do you find that leaving them blank inside for the people to personalize any way they way sells better?  Or do you find that putting something on the front is better?

Carole

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2013, 2:14pm

Quote from Carole_223037 on Mar 11th, 2013, 2:05pm:
For those who do photography cards, do you find that leaving them blank inside for the people to personalize any way they way sells better?  Or do you find that putting something on the front is better?

Carole

At GCU, you are always better off having a card with text on the front and inside.  Remember, GCU is the place to buy greeting cards rather than in a typically card aisle in a store, therefore cards that speak to occasions and relationships will always do better than blank cards.

Blank photography cards do better in a place like Redbubble where people come to shop for art.  I like Redbubble which has free storefronts and good sales, over Image Kind where you pay for a storefront and may or may not ever get your monthly fee returned let alone make a profit.

Email   IP Logged
Carole_223037
GCU Newbies

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2013, 2:29pm

Thanks, Doreen.  How did you make that animated line on your storefront that shows the different cards?

Carole

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2013, 2:39pm

Most of my cards feature my photographs. I am not a photographer and have only learned by trial and error, but I have an extensive art background. I try to give my photos an artsy feel with tasteful embellishments.
I have very few blank cards on GCU. This is one that sells pretty well: http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/holiday-cards/passover-pesach-cards/other -passover/passover-judaica-art-candle-lit-906926
I have found that my cards featuring a common image, such as a rose or some flowers, barely get a "click". So lately I have been creating unique still-lifes for various holidays and have found some success with that. Buyers want something different. If you have a good eye for the unusual, and stay away from cliches, then I think you will do well.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2013, 3:56pm

Quote from Ramelle_149580 on Mar 11th, 2013, 2:39pm:
Most of my cards feature my photographs. I am not a photographer and have only learned by trial and error, but I have an extensive art background. I try to give my photos an artsy feel with tasteful embellishments.
I have very few blank cards on GCU. This is one that sells pretty well: http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/holiday-cards/passover-pesach-cards/other -passover/passover-judaica-art-candle-lit-906926
I have found that my cards featuring a common image, such as a rose or some flowers, barely get a "click". So lately I have been creating unique still-lifes for various holidays and have found some success with that. Buyers want something different. If you have a good eye for the unusual, and stay away from cliches, then I think you will do well.

You're a photographer Ramelle!  

That table setting is lovely and the background is awesome!  Really nice job!

Good example and I'd have to agree with you.  Too many photographers do the usual, so something different, unique or that speaks to a very distinct group or person is the way to go.

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2013, 7:45am

Quote from Ramelle_149580 on Mar 11th, 2013, 2:39pm:

Oh  my goodness! What a gorgeous photograph!! Beautiful Ramelle!! Much success with your photography designs!  

Smiley
Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Michelle_216413
GCU Newbies

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2013, 10:06am

Quote from Carole_223037 on Mar 11th, 2013, 2:29pm:
Thanks, Doreen.  How did you make that animated line on your storefront that shows the different cards?

Carole

How did you make that animated line on your storefront that show the different cards? I'm trying to get my storefront set up and to get it simple and intuitive for shoppers. I've seen several stores here where the look and function is very different including animated. I am hoping that I can be informed a little about how to do this. I know how to do it the hard way, I am hoping to find a simpler way. I've studied the conversations and the other resources, most are basic, none answer the question that has been asked. Thank you so much.

Michelle

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2013, 10:45am

Hi Michelle,

If I understand what you refer to clearly ... It would be the 'Card Widget' that is found in your 'Manage Cards' area then a copy/paste of the code into the area of choice in your store front or any other web location you wish to.  

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2013, 10:50am

Quote from Michelle_216413 on Mar 12th, 2013, 10:06am:
Quote from Carole_223037 on Mar 11th, 2013, 2:29pm:

Carole

How did you make that animated line on your storefront that show the different cards? I'm trying to get my storefront set up and to get it simple and intuitive for shoppers. I've seen several stores here where the look and function is very different including animated. I am hoping that I can be informed a little about how to do this. I know how to do it the hard way, I am hoping to find a simpler way. I've studied the conversations and the other resources, most are basic, none answer the question that has been asked. Thank you so much.

Michelle

Sorry Carole and Michelle for not responding, simply forgot to come back to your question  Grin

Yup, Lj is correct, it's just the GCU Card Widget inserted into my Welcome message area.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.