Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

What do you suggest? (Read 2113 times)
Amanda_136215
artist

What do you suggest?
Mar 6th, 2013, 12:07pm

Sooo I got a request from a customer on my princess card

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/invitations/birthday-party/7th-birthday-invi tations/7th-birthday-party-invite-princess-843611

It says simply : "Barbie doll Princess cover"

My thoughts...
1.  Barbie is trademarked so I'm pretty sure I cannot use her image or likeness Sad
2.  The sale is for 30 cards..I dont want to miss out on that! Sad
3. Sure let me get right on that. Considering it only takes me many DAYS to draw, scan and color these things.  
4. Cant I just take a photo of a barbie princess doll (anyone have one?) and make a card? (hehe)
5. Wow, that could be 30 more people that have my cards. Smiley
6. I should stop thinking about this and just ask the good artists in the forum

Anyway all random humor aside, I guess the right thing to do would tell her I cannot use Barbie because it is copyrighted. Any one else have thoughts?

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Re: What do you suggest?
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2013, 12:15pm

Cute card.  

I would definitely tell you can't do Barbie, but say you'd be glad to modify any details of the card to fit her ideas, such as colors or adding something like a doll instead of the cupcake. I'm sure you get the idea.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2013, 12:19pm

Sadly, my input were it my sale would be to tell the customer that you are very sorry, but it's not legal for anyone but Mattel and those they license the art to, to produce invitations with a Barbie Doll. That you would love to be able to do this for her, but it's copyright infringement.

You might be surprised how many people who are not in the world we work in, don't realize that. She may very well in turn buy your adorable invitation as is.

You really don't have any other choice.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_222657

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2013, 12:22pm

Obviously when I suggested about adding a doll to the Princess instead of cupcake I meant a generic doll and not Barbie. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_137209
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2013, 12:25pm

Try outlawbydesign.com

The artist has a lot of what he/she calls posers. The art definately has a "Barbie doll" look to it. (some are pretty scantily dressed though), http://www.outlawbydesign.com/

You do need to pay to access most of his/her art, but there are some free use ones too.
Here is a card I made using one of his images. I think this one is one I paid for though.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/collections/any-occasion-blank-note-cards/fa shion/woman-in-blue-formal-blank-1033025?aid=137209

You still couldn't use the Barbie name though.

Darn, I just realized I gave away my secret source for some of my images. But always willing to help a fellow artist.

Email   IP Logged
Carol_216695

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2013, 5:15am

A lot of internet shoppers who frequent sites like Etsy probably do not understand copyright infringement. If you've ever gone through Etsy you will find Barbie's, cartoons, and more all over.  

The site Sandra mentioned looks great (as does her card). They are "doll" like and maybe would suffice.

Is she going for a Barbie look or the Disney Princess characters? Both would be a copyright infringement but they are two different looks. The Disney ones would still be cartoon but change the dress. The Barbie would be more doll looking but she may also want the Disney style dress.

I don't know to me it would involve way too much effort for the sale BUT I would look into how you could make a more recognizable princess without infringement for future sales.

Good luck and be sure to post what you come up with. Your designs are adorable as are.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.