Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Photo Standards (Read 4446 times)
Patricia_131413
artist

Photo Standards
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:38pm

I have been working on improving my photos - and submitting to stock sites for sale and getting one or two accepted and a LOT declined and I am a photographer - that is my real job!

I ran across this at one of the sites - a VERY in depth guide to what they accept and don't accept - and probably close to what GCU is looking for as well - here is the link http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/photography/istockph otos-standards

It may help with understanding how some of the standards are viewed in general - not just here at GCU -  

Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Re: Photo Standards
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2013, 2:15am

That's a real eye opener Patricia!
Very useful for any photographer I think. Thanks for sharing.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013, 7:59am

Well done Patricia for finding and sharing this.  I would have to agree with you, based on what is written in the Submission Guidelines, this is a very good visual to refer to.

Thanks for the share!  

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013, 3:59pm

Patricia, if you are thinking about joining iStock, better study those guidelines closely. There is a test afterward. And passing it is easy, compared to getting your images approved. Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2013, 10:52pm

You would be mad to join istock (owned by Getty) at the moment. they have completely betrayed their photographers. They have cut a deal with Google to give photos away for free, and only paid the photographers $12!
It would be like GCU letting Google give our cards away to anybody who cared to download them, and giving us peanuts for the privilege.

See here:
http://www.microstockposts.com/photographers-plan-to-remove-images-from-istockph oto/

http://www.microstockgroup.com/istockphoto-com/google-giving-photos-away-free-fo r-commercial-use-and-istock-agrees/

Be careful what you do with your picture, once they are given away by Google they are stripped of their meta-data, and anyone can download high resolution versions. They become worthless to sell.

Email   IP Logged
Cynthia_217641
GCU Newbies

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2013, 8:40pm

Bookmarked on my computer... thank you!  Smiley

Cynthia Singleton, Author & Photographer:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/CynthiaSingleton
Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2013, 12:39am

makes me glad i never went with istock, i hope my  agencies don't do this.

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2013, 2:02pm

I joined them and passed their test, but don't have any pictures there yet. Glad I don't now. Won't be submitting any to them either. At least not right now. Right now I submit to 123RF and really like the place. Have sold quiet a few there, too.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rosie_224731
GCU Newbies

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2013, 10:19am

Thank you Patricia  Smiley.  I only issue rights managed licences so sell very little stock! I've try kept away from microstock sites and royalty free licences. I've found that submitting to stock agencies has improved my photography so much.  (I'm a newbie to GCU)

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_248508
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2013, 7:56pm

I'm great at writing the verses, but I need lots of work on photography and graphics.  I think I've got a long road ahead toward acceptance and getting anything in my store.  All of my photos have been rejected so far. I appreciate any tips I can get.   Thank you.

Email   IP Logged
Sarah_243274
GCU Newbies

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2013, 10:39am

I am a photographer as well. I have noticed that a lot of my work that was rejected were macro images. They do not like macro or very shallow DOF =(

Sarah Ashley Photography's Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/sarahashleyphotos
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.