Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

jpg vs. png (Read 2969 times)
Rosemary_205093

jpg vs. png
Feb 4th, 2013, 7:07pm

This is something that has confused me about GCU: When I save a card created in Photoshop CS5 in the jpg format, it always uploads "Best" quality onto the GCU site.  When I save the card in the png format (same resolution, 300 dpi) it always uploads "Poor" quality. Anybody have any idea why that happens?  I don't have the same problem on the other POD site with png files.  I've googled the problem, but I'm probably not wording the question correctly.

Don't suggest checking the help section of Photoshop.  I never never never go there.  I did once about something and became frustrated.  My son, a PhD candidate in chemical engineering, overheard the muffled expletives coming from the closet that serves as my office and said, "Mom ... no one ever reads the manuals or goes to the official help sites.  Google it."  And it works.  Except now.  Huh

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: jpg vs. png
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2013, 7:39pm

Well that is odd Rosemary.  I also use CS5 and upload both jpg for standard cards and pngs for photo cards without that issue.

I would guess that there must be a setting that is causing a problem.  So all I can suggest is that when you search google, you do so for saving in PNG format rather than searching for CS5.  I'd have to guess that something in your settings for the PNG is causing the reduced quality.  Mine is set to Interlaced NONE, what is yours set for?

Email   IP Logged
Sarah_218087
GCU Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2013, 7:58pm

Maybe you are accidentally saving in CMYK mode? I know I've done that before and then wondered why my pic looks horrible online...

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2013, 6:16am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Feb 4th, 2013, 7:39pm:
Well that is odd Rosemary.  I also use CS5 and upload both jpg for standard cards and pngs for photo cards without that issue.

I would guess that there must be a setting that is causing a problem.  So all I can suggest is that when you search google, you do so for saving in PNG format rather than searching for CS5.  I'd have to guess that something in your settings for the PNG is causing the reduced quality.  Mine is set to Interlaced NONE, what is yours set for?

Doreen - yes, interlace is set to none.  I will definitely check the other settings, but here's one more question ... do you flatten your image to create the png file? Do you do a lot of layering with photos? Whenever I've made a card with a photo (very rarely ... I have a few on Zazzle) I've used MSPublisher (don't laugh) and saved the grouped object as a high res png which I then check in PS to make sure the dimensions and res are still okay.  I still haven't figured out why something saved as 300 dpi in Publisher shows up as 240.999 dpi in PS. Those pngs always come out fine, but they ARE flattened.

I never flatten the image to create a jpg.

And Sarah, I've never saved anything in CMYK mode. Perhaps you do this because you have sent stuff out to a four-color print house?  Smiley  Do you use Illustrator?

Email   IP Logged
Carol_216695

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2013, 6:36am

I use Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator. I never use JPEG on PODs unless that's what the site calls for. Actually I never use JPEG at all because this setting causes deterioration in your photo/graphic with each opening and modification.

I have never had an issue with PNG in GCU but I will mention something I have noticed/learned. If your photo/image is over hanging your "canvas" it will save as PNG BUT it somehow maintains in its memory that the image is bigger than the canvas. For this reason I always flatten. Flattening automatically crops your image to the dimensions of your canvas. Maybe this is why your dpi is funky. It will appear/look just fine but the actual behind the scenes information is somewhat "warped."

I am not a Photoshop expert  Cool but can tell you what I've learned through my own mistakes and journeys. I am a Photoshop/Illustrator lover and have used nothing else since Photoshop was first introduced (their 25th anniversary, by the way).  

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2013, 7:14am

Carol, I cannot WAIT to see your work.  Smiley

Yeah, I knew that about jpgs and I haven't used them on my Zazzle sites for years, but they always upload "Best" quality here on GCU.  I think the key is flattening.  I did not know that about the individual layers remembering their "size" but that makes total sense.  All the clipart I've designed is in png format and you can see the "hangover" on the screen if you've moved an image so only part of it shows in a given layer.  I also think that transparency issues may have an effect if the image isn't flattened, as well.

I am learning Illustrator.  The family gifted me with a Wacom pen tablet and now I have to (GLADLY) reconfigure my entire desk (my office used to be a bathroom/closet.)  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2013, 8:38am

Quote from Rosemary_205093 on Feb 5th, 2013, 6:16am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Feb 4th, 2013, 7:39pm:

Doreen - yes, interlace is set to none.  I will definitely check the other settings, but here's one more question ... do you flatten your image to create the png file? Do you do a lot of layering with photos? Whenever I've made a card with a photo (very rarely ... I have a few on Zazzle) I've used MSPublisher (don't laugh) and saved the grouped object as a high res png which I then check in PS to make sure the dimensions and res are still okay.  I still haven't figured out why something saved as 300 dpi in Publisher shows up as 240.999 dpi in PS. Those pngs always come out fine, but they ARE flattened.

I never flatten the image to create a jpg.

And Sarah, I've never saved anything in CMYK mode. Perhaps you do this because you have sent stuff out to a four-color print house?  Smiley  Do you use Illustrator?

Yes, I Merge Layers before saving as a JPG or PNG.

Using JPG on POD sites is fine, what isn't okay is using that JPG file by opening it, making changes and re-saving ... that's how you get degradation.  So anytime you need to make a change, you need to go back to the original NON-COMPRESSED file, make the change and then save as a new JPG or PNG.

Email   IP Logged
Carol_216695

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2013, 8:52am

Quote from Rosemary_205093 on Feb 5th, 2013, 7:14am:
Carol, I cannot WAIT to see your work.  Smiley

Yeah, I knew that about jpgs and I haven't used them on my Zazzle sites for years, but they always upload "Best" quality here on GCU.  I think the key is flattening.  I did not know that about the individual layers remembering their "size" but that makes total sense.  All the clipart I've designed is in png format and you can see the "hangover" on the screen if you've moved an image so only part of it shows in a given layer.  I also think that transparency issues may have an effect if the image isn't flattened, as well.

I am learning Illustrator.  The family gifted me with a Wacom pen tablet and now I have to (GLADLY) reconfigure my entire desk (my office used to be a bathroom/closet.)  Smiley

YES on the transparency issues! Shocked I found that out by mistake which is when I noticed the "hangover" effect. Also, when you "mask" anything to cut it out if you don't flatten it will "keep" all the items you removed in memory. I found this out by making a mistake and had to go back and correct many of my transparent PNG files. If you changed the PNG to a JPEG you could see all the area you cut away. It is a very weird phenomenon but kind of makes sense if you think about the fact that PNG is much more detailed and critical in what it remembers about the files.

Welcome to Illustrator! I have a tablet and all though I've had Illustrator for years I've never really made any graphics until now. I use my table A LOT for masking in Photoshop. I couldn't live without it. I deal with mostly photography manipulation/modification. That's why I'm very familiar with layers, masking, and things.  

Glad I could be of some help. I can't wait until my shop is up and running  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2013, 9:57am

Oh, Doreen ... I would much rather use png format!  Next design is getting flattened.  I'm convinced that's what the problem has been.  Thank you so much for all your input!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2013, 12:22pm

Yay! Flattening the image and saving it in png format worked like a charm.  No more jpgs.  Cheesy
The card I fixed is in my private gallery:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/holiday-cards/valentines-day-cards/recovery- sober-and-support/aa-sponsor-valentine-1037437?aid=205093

Email   IP Logged
Carol_216695

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2013, 2:11pm

Quote from Rosemary_205093 on Feb 5th, 2013, 12:22pm:
Yay! Flattening the image and saving it in png format worked like a charm.  No more jpgs.  Cheesy
The card I fixed is in my private gallery:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/holiday-cards/valentines-day-cards/recovery- sober-and-support/aa-sponsor-valentine-1037437?aid=205093

Your writings simply amaze me (as well as the images and the complete card). But I have such a difficult time with writing  cry which is why I've been leaving a lot of mine blank. I'm glad the flattening worked. You store is great.

Email   IP Logged
Rosemary_205093

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2013, 4:15pm

Aww, Carol ... that's very kind.  Full disclosure- I belong to a wonderful writer's group where I am known as the "Poem Doodler."  This moniker comes from the fact that I scribble little poems the way most people doodle. Actually, they originally called me the "Poem Pooper;" the first time it was mentioned was when one of the members said, "Man, it's like you poop poems, or something." My heart swelled with pride.  Wink

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.