You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
brushes (Read 4865 times)
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

brushes
Nov 13th, 2012, 8:04am

Hi all

I was wondering about photshop brushes, I kind of try and make my own which is sadly a failure on my end , but I have some wonderful brushes by others. I was going through Brusheezy reading about  the artist, can I use the brushes that say commercial use? and Do I link the artist site? I don't want to infringe on anyone but I sure would love to use these brushes. I am still trying to improve on my brush making.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Re: brushes
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2012, 8:31am

I posted about Deviant art the other day. here is a link to my page there
 http://www.deviantart.com/Pattipix
 if you check out my favorites - I think I have some tutorials on making brushes saved - if they aren't there you can search for them on the site - some awesome artists have made tutorials on all sorts of things - and there are brushes you can use there - most sites actually get them from DA artists -  
Just make sure you are a member of DA (it's free) and you read each artists TOU - many of them do allow commercial use - some are selling brushes for very good prices, and then you can use them for sure -  
Some say no way never ever - but if you ask they sometimes say yes!
P

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2012, 8:33am

oops my link was messed up - www.deviantart.com/PattiPix
with deviant art you have to be sure to have it spelled and capitalized correctly!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2012, 8:40am

Quote from Cheryl_200935 on Nov 13th, 2012, 8:04am:
Hi all

I was wondering about photshop brushes, I kind of try and make my own which is sadly a failure on my end , but I have some wonderful brushes by others. I was going through Brusheezy reading about  the artist, can I use the brushes that say commercial use? and Do I link the artist site? I don't want to infringe on anyone but I sure would love to use these brushes. I am still trying to improve on my brush making.

As long as you follow the artist's TOU, sure you can.  Two things to note:

1)  When you give credit, you should put that in your Artist Notes section and if credit is required by the brush designer, then you should give it on the imagery itself so that it stays with the image - though this must be tasteful and small.

2)  You can not put a URL link in your Artist Notes or on the image - against GCU rules and it will get kicked back.

Here are two articles from our Artist Community Blog which offers some great tips on using CU/CU4CU and giving credit:

http://gcucommunity.com/2012/06/18/dash-of-inspiration-tou-terms-of-use/

http://gcucommunity.com/2012/01/30/dash-of-inspiration-credit-where-credit-is-du e/

http://gcucommunity.com/2012/06/25/dash-of-inspiration-finding-cu-elements/

Doreen
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/salonofart

Email   IP Logged
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2012, 3:41pm

Thank you both so very much and yes I am a member of DeviantArt.

http://imith88.deviantart.com/

Oh Patti the link still don't work.  

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2012, 5:11pm

Oops HAd it backwards!
http://pattipix.deviantart.com/

Email   IP Logged
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2012, 4:53am

So when I give credit in my notes I should say ' Brushes by Hawksmont ' ?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2012, 8:01am

Quote from Cheryl_200935 on Nov 15th, 2012, 4:53am:
So when I give credit in my notes I should say ' Brushes by Hawksmont ' ?

If the brush elements are a very important part of the design; such as a focal point then not only should you say something to the effect of "Elements courtesy of Hawksmont", but on the image itself (remember artist notes don't go with the printed card) in a small out of the way location, you should put something the same credit.

There are examples of what GCU will accept in the way of indiscreet credit on an image in the above Credit Where Credit is Due link.

Did that answer your question?  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2012, 8:56am

If the artist that made the brushes available, wants credit on the finished work - or if they are offering it free to be used - check their TOU - I have found most brush creators on DA especially just like to see how you use the brushes but they do not expect credit on everything created with them - That can go in the artists notes, and to the reviewers that you have permission with the link to their TOU (I am guessing that would be the best way for the reviewers to see your permissions)

Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2012, 12:06pm

ahh ok I read all the notes you gave Doreen it was very helpful. It did say something about not linking in the artist notes. Oo which kind of confused me. Also sometimes some artist have a brush with their name. Can I use that?

Just double dotting my i's and double crossing my t's because some artist don't have anything saying yea or nay or their DA is closed or no web site.

Their are some who have said no credit is necessary but I feel credit should be give where credit is due.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2012, 12:34pm

Quote from Cheryl_200935 on Nov 15th, 2012, 12:06pm:
ahh ok I read all the notes you gave Doreen it was very helpful. It did say something about not linking in the artist notes. Oo which kind of confused me. Also sometimes some artist have a brush with their name. Can I use that?

Just double dotting my i's and double crossing my t's because some artist don't have anything saying yea or nay or their DA is closed or no web site.

Their are some who have said no credit is necessary but I feel credit should be give where credit is due.

You are on the right track Cheryl Smiley  The thing is that many artists who contribute goodies for designers have a great heart, but after years of having their kind contributions and simple TOU ignored, they change their requirements.  So, for me, I feel giving credit ALL the time (unless I've purchased a CU/CU4CU license which usually excludes any necessity for credit) so that if in a few years my card is found by that artist after they've stopped offering their goods, the credit on the image is there and that will go a long way in protecting you, GCU and the artist.

Now ... if you find goodies where no TOU are given one way or the other, then you should go on the side of caution and not use them.  I've seen many sites that put up another artist's presets, leaving out the ownership info.  So, my word of advice is only use elements from artists/sites that have clear TOU and always give credit for free elements regardless of whether it's stated that you need to.

This has served me well for years and I use brushes, patterns, shapes, and pngs from hundreds of other fabulous designers.

Email   IP Logged
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2012, 1:44pm

ty Doreen. I am going through my brushes and separating them and double checking the artist as well. Thank you again for all the help and information Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2012, 3:46pm

Quote from Cheryl_200935 on Nov 15th, 2012, 1:44pm:
ty Doreen. I am going through my brushes and separating them and double checking the artist as well. Thank you again for all the help and information Cheesy

You are very welcome Cheryl!

Happy Creating!

Email   IP Logged
Cheryl_200935
GCU Newbies

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2012, 8:07am

When I note the brushes creator do I put it in Artist notes or Reviewer's notes.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2012, 8:41am

I think that depends on the creators TOU - if they state that you need to have credits with the art created then in the artists notes so that everyone can see their credit - if you do not have to credit them - but wish to notify the reviewers that you have permission to use the brushes per the creators TOU then put them in the reviewer section - with a link to the TOU if necessary.  
 Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.