Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Can I use images pre 1920? (Read 1689 times)
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Can I use images pre 1920?
Nov 8th, 2012, 12:17pm

Hi - I'm a newbie and I have images of old cards pre-1920 also WWII card images, does anyone know if they are allowed? They're basically WWI and WWII cards for different occasions. Help from exerienced sellers would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Can I use images pre 1920?
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:30pm

Quote from Sherry_205423 on Nov 8th, 2012, 12:17pm:
Hi - I'm a newbie and I have images of old cards pre-1920 also WWII card images, does anyone know if they are allowed? They're basically WWI and WWII cards for different occasions. Help from exerienced sellers would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

HI Sherry,

I have several vintage pieces on the site, so no problem there; however I have taken the images from Public Domain Vintage sites and therefore have always been able to offer a link to 'certify' the PD status.  

Tom Rent at Comical Captions buys old vintage photos from swap meets and he is allowed to use those too, so I'm guessing you'll be fine.  Just make sure you put a note in the Reviewers Notes section when you create the cards to the effect of the 'year' and any other info on where you go the photo.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:33pm

Thank you, Doreen. Guess it's worth a try. All they can do is say "no!" Smiley

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:34pm

Here are some links to help you out as you are just getting started:

GCU Intellectual Property List (also known as the Taboo List)
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ip.html

Image Guidelines
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html
Copied and Pasted from above URL:  
Vintage Postcards & Findings - Parts of Vintage work, such as from vintage postcards can not be used in their entirety, but parts can be used as elements in your own original piece of art.
Specific note to Artists - Vintage works, particularly works pre 1978 copyright laws, have limited, non-existent or expired copyright protection particularly when used in a new, creative or ``reworked`` manner. It is your responsibility as the artist to ensure that your images use vintage findings as elements in a new composition thus creating your own original piece of art. Using the original work ``as is`` to create a card is merely ``copying`` and is not permitted on GCU. Reviewers may ask you to confirm that the work is an original composition of vintage elements.

Hope this helps.

Email   IP Logged
Sherry_205423
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2012, 12:38pm

Oh, thank you, SunAtNight. That definitely helps.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.