Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Gamut Warning (Read 2506 times)
Donna_201431
GCU Newbies

Gamut Warning
Oct 1st, 2012, 2:05pm

I have been checking all my images for gamut. Is this necessary, just good work ethic, or just a waste of time because its not important?

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Re: Gamut Warning
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:11pm

What is gamut?  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bettie__142065
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:11pm

I am sorry,but what is gamut?

Email   IP Logged
Donna_201431
GCU Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:16pm

Not totally certain how to explain but basically gamut is a color that in your image when your looking at it on the screen seems ok but when you print it is not a color that will print and so shows up a mid gray tone

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:31pm

Hi Donna, Smiley

I do not think it is a wasted practice as you are creating cards for print, not exclusively for the web.  
I create in RGB and always work within the in gamut colors. I also do a check to see the color shift in CMYK.
I have found this to produce acceptable color accuracy for printing on GCU.  
One time I made a test card with strips of color choosing both in gamut and out of gamut RGB colors to see how they printed. The out of gamut colors did not print true.

As for what is gamut. It is the range of colors available in a given color system, here is a description from an online dictionary.  
Color gamut
The entire range of colors available on a particular device such as a monitor or printer. A monitor, which displays RGB signals, typically has a greater color gamut than a printer, which uses CMYK inks. When a color is "out of gamut," it cannot be properly converted to the target device; for example, to a different type of printer. See color management system and color space.

I do not pretend to completely understand gamut but through trial and error I came up with this method and it has worked well for me on GCU.
Hope that helps.
Pamela Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2012, 2:32pm

Well not sure what to say there, never had a gamut problem in 28 years,
In the old days I know photoshop used to throw up a box with gamut warning,
I have never seen it since umm ooo heck 1999 ish Smiley and totally forgot about it
until now Cheesy

Weird Smiley I never check and never had a color prob, perhaps I have been lucky
I always print what I get and same with all the card sites, I stick to RGB I stopped using
CMYK when I left the news paper industry.

Only problem I ever had was CMYK issues Smiley for not having the color you expect.

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2012, 3:45pm

Thank you for explaining. I learn something new every day  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2012, 4:55pm

With the technology advances in the monitors and printers I don't worry about it anymore. My only exception to this rule of thumb is for motion graphics.  

As applied to GCU cards I wouldn't bother with it. The printers have great professional quality equipment.

Email   IP Logged
Bettie__142065
artist

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2012, 5:37pm

Thanks for the explanation. I am glad I am not the only one who didn't know what it was. I use RGB all the time,and my cards always have the correct color. Thanks again.  
Bettie

Email   IP Logged
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2012, 8:36am

On the create a card page under Image Requirements, there is a note to say CMYK colors will not work.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.