Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Help with rejected card. (Read 2287 times)
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Help with rejected card.
Jun 16th, 2012, 3:01pm

This card if I can show it right was rejected for unprofessional composition, placement/position.  I had actually purchased the card myself and the person I sent it to loved it.  Any honest suggestions on how to make the card marketable?  I am not sure if they are looking for the whole cat, or if they just don't like the fact that the cat does not take up the whole space??

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/name-specific-birthday-cards/j/birthday-card -with-calico-cat-932345?aid=136698

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Re: Help with rejected card.
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2012, 5:28pm

First off let me congratulate you on using the rule of thirds for this shot. Good job! It isn't easy for some to work with animal subjects. Good job on lighting too.

There was an article written on the GCU Blog by Doreen that lists 5 things to look for in pet photography. URL: http://gcucommunity.com/2011/08/15/dash-of-inspiration-august-15-2011/

There are 2 marketing factors that are highly sought after in animal photography in any industry (not just GCU) and the first one is that the animal should be looking directly at the camera. There are photos that break this rule and most of them are action shots or side profiles. The 2nd sought after characteristic is that all important elements are not cut off.  I believe that the reviewers comments are directed towards the paws being cutoff and the pretty kitty not looking directly at the camera. I really think its the tilt of the head, something caught the cat's eye just to the side of the camera. It's almost there but just not quite enough. I hope this makes sense.

In case I didn't describe what I'm thinking properly; here are some example cards on GCU (just search on the PID#)
PID# 878890
PID# 933165
PID# 417886

Here is an external site example from National Geographic.  
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/shoebill- swamp-uganda/

Email   IP Logged
Nadine_142067
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2012, 5:54pm

I disagree, Rosalie,
it's a beautiful cat and a beautiful shot.
I know a lot of Judys who would be filled with joy to get it!

Don't let it get you down!
Nadine

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2012, 6:47pm

Thanks for your help Sun at Night, and your nice comment Nadine.  I did notice, however, after looking at pages of cat images on GCU, a lot of the cats are not looking directly at the camera and they are not action or side shots, but perhaps that is a new rule for the reviewers.  I guess I will never know.  Your card 878890 is very cute and a sweet looking dog.

Nice shops Sun at Night and Nadine.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2012, 7:30pm

Since I'm not the reviewer I can only guess and try to apply the comments that were given to the photo along with industry standards. You can always reply to the email that you received from the reviewer with questions. Just because I think it's a good shot doesn't mean squat; so I try to give my interpretation of what the reviewers comments are pointing towards. Feel free to disagree. The marketability guidelines are somewhat new and GCU is still cleaning house sort-to-speak. You will see cards for sale that were approved before the new guidelines went into action.

The factors that I outlined was generic, not GCU specifically. Do not take rejections or request for edits personally, its not just you.  

Thank you for the compliment.

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2012, 8:12pm

I appreciate all the comments you have made Sun at Night.  I usually just delete the cards that are rejected, but I did feel this was a decent photo of the Calico Cat.  Oh well, I have posted it to Zazzle anyway.   Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2012, 8:31pm

Hi Rosalie,

I believe the problem is not so much with the cat, but with the text. The comment was "unprofessional composition, placement/position". They might have felt the text on the left made the composition too 'heavy' on that side, when it all could have been on the lower right along with the name. I think they would also prefer the text for the name to be different than for the H.B. It's okay to let the text overflow a little onto the subject - in this case, the cat's chest. This is what I gather from looking at your card and connecting that with what they wrote.

I love the calico pattern against the black. It's a beautiful photo!  Smiley  Wink

~ Evie

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2012, 8:42pm

Thanks for your comments Evie, but I think if it was just the text, they could have just sent it back to me for a new placement as that would have been easy to change, it must be something with the cat, whether it's Sun at Nights suggestion with the eyes or the paw.  Thanks for your suggestion because it will help me with future cards.   undecided undecided  Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.