Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Need A Little Extra Help (Read 4658 times)
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Need A Little Extra Help
Jun 5th, 2012, 10:15am

I have some questions regarding category appropriateness and the front image of the card.  

1. Must the front image of the card have text that matches the subcategory - not just the main category?
2. Does the front image of the card have to exhibit text for all of the categories?

The wiki states ". . . must be clearly have the word Grandson shown either on the front or in the verse." as an example. I interpret this to mean that the category title can be either on the front of the card or in the inner verse. Is this a correct interpretation?

I rarely get cards returned for edits and even when I thought I fixed them, they still got returned for edits (there are 6 cards). With the same comment that "This card front image does not relate clearly and directly".  I am baffled, perplexed and yes my pride got dinged a little, what am I missing? Perhaps my interpretation of the rules is skewed? I just don't know. So I guess I need a little extra help.  

As an example card image:
http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/ab723282279288/
inner verse reads: Job well done. Congratulations on the science fair.

http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/700f7282279374/
inner verse reads: Sparkling job! Congratulations on the science fair.

http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/c3aaa282279294/
inner verse reads: Job well done in the Science Fair. Congratulations

http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/19150282279375/
inner verse reads: Good job on the science fair project. Congratulations

http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/34f44282279378/
Congratulations on a successful science fair project.

http://sunatnight.xanga.com/photos/1f741282279287/
You put the fun in fungus. Good work on the science fair. Congratulations

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Re: Need A Little Extra Help
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012, 10:47am

I looked at your cards (your photography is amazing!) and I'm thinking maybe because the main category is 'academic achievement' the cards may need to say something about 'winning'? or using the word 'fair' on the front...(though I see cards in that category that don't)

If that's not it, perhaps it's because your images might be confusing to the average teen, because although they are technically science related, they aren't something that would be related to a science fair project/experiment?

Don't know if that is helpful at all...had to brainstorm for a bit... Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012, 10:51am

Hi!

It was felt by the review team that these images weren't appropriate to the category. Please see http://www.gcuwiki.com/sg.html under marketability:
Occasion Specific      Cards can meet all other requirements and still be declined due to the image not relating to the occasion/category of the card.  Unexpected / unrelated subject matter is the artist’s opportunity to make it “work” with a creative verse.  Your image, card front text, and inner verse MUST all apply directly to the occasion, gender, relation, and age of the category.  

Some of the other cards you've submitted for this category were borderline but you creatively made the connection via the inner verse and we approved those cards.  

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012, 2:48pm

I ask my fellow community artists for advice and thoughts on how to get these cards approved. It is clear from at least one response that they didn't know either. I did receive an additional response from the review team but it appears to be only justification for their ruling. The team's response didn't really help. It didn't provide any action steps, or advice. I did read the link provided to the wiki.  

Am I to understand that no matter what I do these cards they will never be accepted?

I've already had 2 flat out rejected since I posted for assistance. No reason given. If there is a case where photomicrography (photos taken through a microscope) is not accepted at all - the wiki needs to state this flat out. If there was ever a category where photomicrography matches the intent of the category it is in the Congratulations > Academic Achievement > Science Fair.

How can an image of mushroom gills with the inner text "You put the fun in fungus. Good work on the science fair. Congratulations." be unexpected in a science fair category. There are plenty of science fair projects where fungus is grown and even an elementary school age child knows that a mushroom is fungus. Science fairs are all about science projects and they span over the different fields of science. It's not all about lab coats, chemistry and robots. It covers space, zoology, geology, botany, earth sciences and life sciences.

I just don't know how to make these cards better. That's really what I am asking from the artist community. If only images of stereotypical Hollywood concepts were accepted then it would be a real injustice to this category.  

My intent was to delete my year-at-a-glance calendar cards that are already approved and transition them the science fair category. I thought that this would be an improvement to where they are currently placed in and a much fitting category. Obviously since I am having unresolved issues I am not submitting anymore until I can get a clear understanding of what is wanted.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2012, 3:36pm

Hi, Sun,

After looking at your images and then reading the message from #443, I'm guessing that the reviewers are looking for more generic science images -- beakers, periodic tables, potions bubbling on burners and the "erupting volcano," that, I guess, is the standard science fair joke.

I really like your photos and they all made sense to me, but I have to tell you that I didn't recognize the mushroom at first.  Maybe you could use those same images and change the card text to include something about agriculture, horticulture or even for use for an FFA award, which would be a different category, but your photos would fit in nicely.  Just a thought.  Of course, what I think doesn't really count, but hopefully I've given you a little bit of help.

Good luck!

Penny Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012, 4:52pm by Penny_134243 »  
Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2012, 4:09pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Jun 5th, 2012, 3:36pm:
Hi, Sun,

After looking at your images and then reading the message from #443, I'm guessing that the reviewers are looking for more generic science images -- beakers, periodic tables, potions bubbling on burners and the "erupting volcano," that, I guess, is the standard science fair joke.

I really like your photos and they all made sense to me, but I have to tell you that I didn't recognize the mushroom at first.  Maybe you could use those same images and change the card text to include something about agriculture, horticulture or even for use for an FAA award, which would be a different category, but your photos would fit in nicely.  Just a thought.  Of course, what I think doesn't really count, but hopefully I've given you a little bit of help.

Good luck!

Penny Smiley

I think you are correct. The fact that the reviewer pointed out that my other images were borderline validates your line of thinking. Stereotype images only. Next time I'm in Hawaii I'll get shots of the active volcano and submit them!  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2012, 4:14pm

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Jun 5th, 2012, 4:09pm:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Jun 5th, 2012, 3:36pm:
Hi, Sun,

I really like your photos and they all made sense to me, but I have to tell you that I didn't recognize the mushroom at first.  Maybe you could use those same images and change the card text to include something about agriculture, horticulture or even for use for an FAA award, which would be a different category, but your photos would fit in nicely.  Just a thought.  Of course, what I think doesn't really count, but hopefully I've given you a little bit of help.

Good luck!

Penny Smiley

I think you are correct. The fact that the reviewer pointed out that my other images were borderline validates your line of thinking. Stereotype images only. Next time I'm in Hawaii I'll get shots of the active volcano and submit them!  Grin

That's a good excuse for going to Hawaii!  Enjoy!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2012, 4:46pm

Quote from Tracie_152843 on Jun 5th, 2012, 10:47am:
I looked at your cards (your photography is amazing!)

Thank you for your kind words. It's nice to get feedback from a fellow photographer.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2012, 12:04pm

The difference between your approved cards and those returned for edits comes down to making a connection between the subject matter in the image and the occasion through the use of a creative and clever verse of which you did with these approved cards for example:

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=%09933045+933163+%09933177+ 933182

flowers - blooming good job
solar cells - electrifying project
lunar eclipse - astronomical work
lightening bolt - electrifying project
bees - one honey of a job
birds - project takes flight

You are absolutely on the right track.  Just need to keep the creative verses going with the other cards.  LOVE the "fun in fungus" just can't id a mushroom from the image.  Maybe a more obvious perspective.

If the subject matter in the image is obviously relevant to the occasion then a clever verse making the connection is not necessary (although it does greatly boost the appeal of the card and helps it standout among other cards).

With the Returned for Edits status you can make edits to the cards and use the Resubmit function for re-review.

Hope that helps!  These are some great new cards in the making  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012, 1:30pm

Quote from Mindy on Jun 6th, 2012, 12:04pm:
The difference between your approved cards and those returned for edits comes down to making a connection between the subject matter in the image and the occasion through the use of a creative and clever verse of which you did with these approved cards for example:

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=%09933045+933163+%09933177+ 933182

flowers - blooming good job
solar cells - electrifying project
lunar eclipse - astronomical work
lightening bolt - electrifying project
bees - one honey of a job
birds - project takes flight

You are absolutely on the right track.  Just need to keep the creative verses going with the other cards.  LOVE the "fun in fungus" just can't id a mushroom from the image.  Maybe a more obvious perspective.

If the subject matter in the image is obviously relevant to the occasion then a clever verse making the connection is not necessary (although it does greatly boost the appeal of the card and helps it standout among other cards).

With the Returned for Edits status you can make edits to the cards and use the Resubmit function for re-review.

Hope that helps!  These are some great new cards in the making  Smiley

Thank you Mindy for a direct but soft approach. I just had a discussion with fellow photographer and they said basically the same thing just not so eloquently. I believe the exact phrase was "dumb down your framing" and "the photography is too intelligent".  I was told it's like "The Simpson's mixed with Bill Maher with a splash of Big Bang Theory".  Grin  Isn't that just hilarious!  (I think it's funny because I'm used to textbooks). Sometimes it takes photography language to drive the point home and reinforce the concept; which is why I reached out to the artist community.  

Thank you for the encouragement.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2012, 9:02am

Update: Dead in the water. Moving on. I managed to get 1 new idea through but it wasn't any of the above. Can't help but think if I illustrate the concepts it'll go through. Things that make you go  hmmmmm.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131634
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2012, 11:54am

Hi Sun,

Don't give up! You may not be "dead in the water" so much as rowing in the wrong direction. I'd like to offer a thought about this issue, but first I'll make the assumption that all the basics are there: focus, lighting, framing, composition, etc.

For the Science Fair Academic Acheivement congratulations, how about resubmitting with a verse that both congratulates for a job well done and refers very directly to the image. Something like:

Just as these grass seeds combine to make a whole,
Your Science Fair project brought so many individual parts together
To make an outstanding project that you should be very proud of.
Congratulations on an excellent job!

Or

The many ribs beneath this mushroom cap
Support and give it the familiar shape everyone can recognize.
But your Science Fair project took the familiar
And looked at it in a totally new way.
Congratulations on an outstanding Science Fair project!

I can think of other avenues for these images as well. For example, the dandelion seed closeup.  
It could be a sympathy card, a card expressing hope, or an encouragement card, with a verse like:

As the delicate parachute of the dandelion seed  
Carries it to far away, new places,
So do my prayers go out to support you
As you start out on this new path in your life.
You will succeed.
Just believe in your parachute!

Or the sparkling sand, for example:

God has a close-up view of our lives
And a plan that perhaps we cannot easily see or understand.
Like the grains of sand that make up the beach,
Every whole contains many tiny parts, all of them important.
You are important in God's sight, and an important part of our lives.
Please accept our sympathy during this difficult time.

Just a few random thoughts, Sun. Your images are unique and perhaps just need a new expression in your verses.   Don't give up, just keep "rowing"! Smiley

P.S.  
If you'd like to use any, or parts, of these verse ideas, feel free.

Pat

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:03pm

WOW Pat!  What GREAT ideas for Sun at Night's beautiful imagery!  Go for it Sun, I too think Pat's on to something, it's not your imagery, that as always is gorgeous photography, it's the connection to the category and getting the viewer to connect the two.

Good luck to you Sun, Pat has given you wonderful inspiration here I hope it gets your ideas to float to the surface again  Grin

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2012, 9:52am

WOW!  Incredible that such high emotions was linked to the scientific shots. I really did take the shots with science in mind quite awhile ago, it's not like I can retake the shots. I guess I may need to open up to other intents and not just the intent for science. I'll let these ideas germinate in my head.

I've been saturating myself with science ideas and immersing myself in the Science channel. I can't help but read the verses that was supplied by Pat and linking them to the television show "Wonders of the Universe". The way the verse connects with the image is very similar to what the show does with their imagery. I really love how Wonders of the Universe makes the viewer to connect to the beauty of physics. I have never seen the topic of entropy in such a beautiful perspective.

I've only met 3 other photographers that do what I do and we all went to the same school but at different times and in different parts of the nation. So yeah I guess it is rather unique. I've always viewed it as different but not that different. I realize that it's different than National Geographic but as common as Wilson Bentley's snowflakes in 1898 . . .which is very inspirational by the way!

So I guess I'm getting there I just need to charge up the batteries for the trolling motor instead of using a paddles to get across the lake.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2012, 3:08pm

Pat - I just pulled up my scratch pad of notes for the sand image and I just can't believe it!  
You gave me a sentence that rhymed with what I already had. How did you do that? Rhymed perfectly! I'm amazed.

I have no idea where I was going with my notes but taking 1 sentence that you provided and tweaking one word (to enhance the sand theme) plus going in the direction that you gave I think I got the sand image done. Thank you for generously giving your encouragement, thoughts and advice. I thought you might like to see the result . . .

See the earth in a tiny grain of sand
see the path of the wind in the land
see nature's plan that perhaps we don't always understand.
The winds of time shape new paths
as journeys transition to future from past

Let gentle winds of time  
guide you to new pathways
filled with breezy and sparkling days.

I'm thinking general encouragement category.

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - Jun 12th, 2012, 3:26pm

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Jun 12th, 2012, 3:08pm:
Pat - I just pulled up my scratch pad of notes for the sand image and I just can't believe it!
You gave me a sentence that rhymed with what I already had. How did you do that? Rhymed perfectly! I'm amazed.

I have no idea where I was going with my notes but taking 1 sentence that you provided and tweaking one word (to enhance the sand theme) plus going in the direction that you gave I think I got the sand image done. Thank you for generously giving your encouragement, thoughts and advice. I thought you might like to see the result . . .

Let gentle winds of time

That is really lovely. It's amazing what loveliness can happen when two artists collaborate!

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2012, 5:26am

Quote from Tracie_152843 on Jun 12th, 2012, 3:26pm:
Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Jun 12th, 2012, 3:08pm:

Let gentle winds of time

That is really lovely. It's amazing what loveliness can happen when two artists collaborate!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.