Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Hello beautiful Souls - A Little Help (Read 1544 times)
Emelisa_135821
GCU Newbies
artist

Hello beautiful Souls - A Little Help
Apr 23rd, 2012, 4:45pm

Smiley

I was wondering
Do you think that cards sell better with words inside the card or not?Just curious Smiley
Also could some one look at my cards and maybe offer me a possibility of a new category?
I seem to always lean towards , birthdays, romance, love and support, thank you, teacher appreciation, and blank cards ...

Thanks so very much
Emelisa

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Re: Hello beautiful Souls - A Little Help
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 5:56pm

Hi Emelisa,

Just finished looking at your store. You're such a good artist, love your watercolor art! I think that the easiest way to build a store is that when you choose a category, build on it.  

For example, when I just started out I tried to add atleast 20 cards for each occasion that I was focused on, that way my concentration way on 'hoilday/occasion' and it seemed easier to create. I think you should build more on your Mother's Day collection right now, even though it's just around the corner. Your art is just perfect for an occasion like that.

After that I would suggest some more generic occasions like New Years, Congratulations on becoming New Parents/Grandparents etc...

And don't worry about filling up categories, just remember to stay true to your vision and enjoy the process of creating such amazing work. Don't ever hestitate to ask for advice from me or even in the forum.

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 6:17pm

Regarding the inside verse, Laney said it best in this thread:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1334418874
(paraphrasing her wonderful metaphor, the fragrant outside draws the customer in, but the nectar/verse inside keeps them there...and often sells the card).  

Oma gave you some good tips, but I'll add one more general tip for any and all cards.  Artists should really and truly utilize the "Artist's Notes" to describe each of their cards and the holiday/occasion it would be useful for.  That will give the Artist more of an opportunity to draw in potential customers who try to find cards based on searches (it helps with both outside search engines such as Google, as well as GCU's own website search engine).

Good luck, Emelisa!  Your artwork is beautiful.  
Cindy

P.S.  Also, I enjoy reworking some of my cards/verses for the "Wanted: New Cards" Category here in the forum:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=request

You can go back as far as a month or so and create cards for the categories Mindy has requested cards for.  For me, the challenge of creating a card for a special request gets my creative juices flowing.  Plus, with the added benefit of being able to fast-track the cards, the rewards are almost immediate.   Wink

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2012, 6:31pm

Hello Emelisa,

Your cards are so bright and cheerful!

There has been much discussion on the forum off and on as to whether it's better to have verse or blank cards and it seems that in the U.K. blank cards are very popular, but here in the U.S. I would have to say that my experience has been cards with verses are 90% of my sales.  Occasionally I sell a few blank cards, but only a handful here and there.

What I do is create a blank card for the Collection it fits best and then work with the image to create a versed version to suit the category I created it for and this serves me well.

My recommendation is that you choose a main category, then browse deep into the sub-categories and look for those which might inspire you to create a card to suit it.  Your style is very colorful and makes you smile, so either choose categories which suit your style, OR challenge yourself to do something outside of your comfort zone.

One other comment which I hope helps you, at GCU the card title helps the search parameters and I noticed that with many of yours, you don't have the 'recipient' or the 'occasion' as part of your title and you would have better luck coming up in searches if they did . . . for example on your card below:

You have title:  Going to be ok - Painting - Night sky,one bird looking at moon Greeting Card  

Try: Sympathy Night Sky with Moon and Bird

You don't need Greeting Card and remember your titles are truncated in thumbnail view, so you want the title to read like a title, but the recipient (when applicable) and occasion should be first.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/viewdetails.asp?pid=872739&gcu= 43045123714

Also remember to work at least 3-months ahead of upcoming holidays in order to have a chance that your cards will be found by search engines in time to the shoppers Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Emelisa_135821
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2012, 3:16pm

Thank you all so very much
I appreciate the feedback
I actually do not have many mothers day cards and will start on them this week.
I also understand re the verses, with regards to the UK and USA. I wonder what it would be for us Aussies Smiley
I will re read through everything here and start making some steps in the directions you have guided me.
I deeply appreciate all your responses

Blessings of LOVE and JOY to you xoxo

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.