Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Use of Scripture Verses (Read 1653 times)
Stanley_134646
artist

Use of Scripture Verses
Mar 30th, 2012, 8:21am

Just had several cards declined due to copyright issues, with the instruction to use a Bible which is not copyrighted. Using Scripture verses is a major part of the cards I design, and I've never had a problem before now (and I've sold more than 2,200 cards here). I mainly use the NIV, and on the copyright page, permission is granted:

"The NIV text may be quoted and/or reprinted up to and inclusive of one thousand (1,000) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 50% or more of the total work in which they are quoted."

Any one else have this problem? Suggestions as to what to do?

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Re: Use of Scripture Verses
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2012, 8:29am

There are many Bible translators that guard their copyright vigorously. Here's an article I found online that might be helpful. http://quezi.com/1802

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2012, 8:45am

Quote from Tracie_152843 on Mar 30th, 2012, 8:29am:
There are many Bible translators that guard their copyright vigorously. Here's an article I found online that might be helpful. http://quezi.com/1802

Tracie, thank you for responding so quickly. However, please note that I have quoted the permissions guideline provided by the publishers of the NIV. The link you provide does the same thing. I am following the permissions guideline and have never had problems until now. I understand copyright and have tried to make sure I was never in violation.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2012, 9:54am

Stanley,

I would post a note in the forum under GCU Support and ask for those to be relooked at and copy and paste a copy or the reference to the copyright permission you're referring to.

Also from now on, always include that with your submissions in the note to reviewer as the new guidelines are being followed to the letter and most of the reviewers can't think outside the box anymore.  Not their fault, but just doing what they've been told or trained to do.

Also, they see so many cards while reviewing and remembering your specific cards from one batch to the next is next to impossible.

I feel silly being so redundant posting my note to reviewer as I know they are much more observant than I and I assume they've seen my note before in regard to a certain card design, but then I have to remember that it is better to be redundant than have to go through explaining it all post review.  I can't keep track of who has reviewed what, so better to post a note for each card in case a reviewer doesn't remember or you get a different reviewer who has never seen your cards.

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Jenny_140983
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2012, 10:57am

I was under the impression that the permission guidelines stated by Zondervan did not include commercial use of the NIV. I did contact them once about it and there was a process I could go through to obtain permission to use it, but I did not do that and I'm unable to find the email they sent me. I'll search a little more but for now I hope that helps you a little.

Jenny

Edit: I found my email communication with them. I will paste it in hopes that it is beneficial to the discussion. If not, just ignore me Smiley

To: ZPermissions
Subject: General Permissions Questions

Hello,

I read through the permissions guidelines on your website and still a little unclear as to what my course of action should be. I am hoping you can direct me.

I design greeting cards and sell them through a print on demand site. I would like to sell greeting cards with scripture verses printed on them from the NIV. I am also interested in selling my photography with verses printed on the photo. I am wondering how both of these fit into the permission guidelines and what I should do in order to use these verses properly.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Jenny Fenlason
--------------------
Good Afternoon Jenny,
Thank you for your interest in the NIV translation.  You will need to request formal permission to use the NIV translation on your cards and gift products.  You will be required to pay fees for the use of the material.  Please complete the following NIV request form and email it back for review.  

We will specifically need to know how many verses you would like to use and no more than 3 verses can be used per card.

Zondervan Rights & Permissions

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2012, 5:10pm

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.