Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Alright, What do you think is wrong with this card (Read 8983 times)
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Alright, What do you think is wrong with this card
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:23am

I just had another batch of cards put on the dreaded 'hold' gallows.   In any of your helpful opinions, what is wrong with this card.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/apology-im-sorry-cards/animals-pets/dogs/gre eting-card-911171?aid=140313

I used a brush tool to remove the leash and collar from the bulldog, but don't think you can tell that.  Also brightened up the eye a bit as there was too much of the typical redness common to bulldogs in the white part of the eye.  Margin tool says everything is within the boundaries.

I'm really baffled on this one?

With some help here, maybe I can fix it before they decline these?

Thanks guys!

Email   IP Logged
Audrey_132599
artist

Re: Alright, What do you think is wrong with this
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:32am

Hi Randall,
It looks OK to me. The only thing that may be a little off is the border proportion. The right side would look a bit better if it were wider.  

Blessing~
Audrey

Email   IP Logged
Ramelle_149580
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:38am

LOVE that cute bulldog! I can't see anything wrong with the photo, but I think you could improve this card by replacing your text "balloon" with a simpler one. (Less scallops)  Then center your text better. Also, use a simpler, sans-serif font that is more straightforward and bulldoggish. Bulldogs rarely use serifs when they think.

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:40am

I think I have finally figured some of this out.  I bought some more of my own cards and the ones with the type of colors that the stones you have below the dog, they are not coming out really clearly, especially if they are at all dark to begin with.   Keep it light and high contrast, I advise.

Hope that helps.

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Bettie__142065
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:47am

Hi Randall, I see nothing wrong with this card except like Audrey said the border doesn't look balanced.

good luck.
Bettie

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:07pm

Holy Sh**!  How technically perfect do we have to get on our cards!   Grin Grin Grin

The border I was thinking too, but did that on purpose so I could pull the thinking balloon outside of the frame and have the card balanced as a whole.  Plus I like offset borders sometimes if they are done professionally.  Matting and framing a picture we do that for effect although you should have some continutity.   It's even on the right and bottom and then the left is even with the top.  That is if it doesn't go to Target to get printed as it fit within the GCU trim lines.  Huh

You're right Ramelle that bulldogs rarely use serifs.   Grin

Thanks guys for the tidbits so far!

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:15pm

Cute card Randall. I think what may be the problem is that the front of the card isn't clearly telling the buyer what the card is for? Maybe if you put "I'm Sorry" on the outside and and said something like "Dawg gone it I did it again. Sorry, I'll do better." I don't think it's a design flaw or issue. This is what I am learning anyway. GCU offers specific cards to buyers and I think this is what they may be looking for. Hope that helps.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:19pm

A second glance ... sorry, if the dog was sitting in mess or looking at a mess with your caption, then perhaps that would better communicate and connect with the inner verse? Like I said, I am guessing here, I don't see anything with the design. Just the connection with the outer and inner texts.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:22pm

Quote from Karen_137659 on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:15pm:
Cute card Randall. I think what may be the problem is that the front of the card isn't clearly telling the buyer what the card is for? Maybe if you put "I'm Sorry" on the outside and and said something like "Dawg gone it I did it again. Sorry, I'll do better." I don't think it's a design flaw or issue. This is what I am learning anyway. GCU offers specific cards to buyers and I think this is what they may be looking for. Hope that helps.

Thank you Karen!

It's not so much a text and category issue though as I have six of these I submitted with different categories, text in the balloon area and inner verse.  All six have been placed on hold.   Has to be an image issue?

Email   IP Logged
Nan_137018
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:25pm

Did GCU give a reason it was on "hold"?  They seem to be much 'fussier' this year on technical aspects.  It's a shame because the wait time is so long.  That is one reason I only post the really "safe and sure" cards here.  My pug one was declined, but is selling like hot-cakes on Zazzle.  Go figure. Huh Roll Eyes Wink

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:45pm

I don't know if this helps at all, but on my screen your photo looks a bit dark because part of the dog being in the shadows (very cute dog, btw!) I know you said you brightened the eye, but maybe add a bit more of a catch-light so the customer is drawn to his face instead of his paws where the shadows are...A levels adjustment might brighten up the image too. Hope that's helpful  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2012, 1:07pm

I don't see any problems with your card, I think it is clever and well done.     Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2012, 2:24pm

Rnadall, I like the card!

I hate getting the dreaded: Hold!

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2012, 3:14pm

It's great Randall,I understand all your reasoning...perhaps post it on Zazzle!
Cheers Mary.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012, 3:33pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Mar 8th, 2012, 3:14pm:
It's great Randall,I understand all your reasoning...perhaps post it on Zazzle!
Cheers Mary.

Thank you!  They haven't been declined yet, just in that infamous pergatory called 'Card On Hold!'

Email   IP Logged
Stephanie_137223
artist

Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2012, 5:59pm

Hi Randall,  
My only thought was that the photo cropping is quite close to the dog's face and he is looking out of frame.  it does not let the "reader" connect with the dog.  It gives the dog a disinterested look, as opposed to an I'm sorry look.

That's just my thoughts.

Stephanie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2012, 6:49pm

Hi Randall - I'm probably going to regret chiming in, considering your opinion of me, but as a pro-photographer I'll try and help.

The angle is odd, yes, but doesn't bother me considering the face seems to be in such sharp focus - great job on that.

What I see is a lighting issue.  The top of the dog's head is nearly washed out and the face is in shadow.  If it were my photograph, I would use a masked layer and reduce the harsh light on the top of the head and another layer mask to lighted up the dogs face - bringing those two into a better balance.

The off-set photo on the background also doesn't balance well, so I would work on some alternative ways to present the photo.

I have to agree with the text bubble comments - KISS - is always best when it comes to talk bubbles.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2012, 8:00pm

Thank you guys!  

No Doreen, actually I have a high opinion of you, I think people misinterpret what I say a lot as I'm usually quite blunt.  You know photography and especially after the shot editing.

Personally I like the offset box, but if several of you think it makes the overall composition of the card look unbalanced, then you probably are right.  I do know what you are saying about the lighting and of course this was shot outside at a car show with bright light overhead.  Didn't think the reviewers would be that critical.  After all it is going to be a 4X6 image when printed but if it's that noticeable I'll work on it a bit more.

I'll go to work with a mask as you suggest Doreen and see if I can find a smooth edged bubble or draw one in.  This should be a great little learning project.  See what I can do to improve this design from so-so to superb. Roll Eyes   Grin

Dang reviewers are so picky now! Grin Grin Grin

I only hope they don't decline these and give me a chance to improve the image if that's all it is as I submitted six different versions of this design.  Cross my fingers!

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2012, 2:59am

Alright, changed the image slightly taking Doreen's advice and darkening the highlighted hairs and head of Baxter slightly.  Actually, did a shade mask about half way down the image then lightened the complete image to try and even out the light.  It's an improvement and I'm hoping sufficient.  Also centered the box or border top and bottom, side to side and pulled the dialog balloon inside the frame although I couldn't find a smooth edged balloon in any of my fonts or clip art so kept the jagged edge one rather than trying to draw one in.  Simplified the text to comic sans MS and with the even border framing hope that balances out the impact of the jagged edges so we don't have so much going on in the design.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/apology-im-sorry-cards/animals-pets/dogs/eng lish-bull-dog-eeewww-boy-911171?aid=140313

For those that saw the before, any better?

I changed the image on the six I submitted for the store and with the cards in hold status, hope the reviewers see the improvements and accept the cards.  Crossed fingers and we'll see!  Not sure if once an image is in that status if editing will have any impact on the final decision or not.  Anyone know?

Thank you all for your help!

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2012, 8:53am

Hey Randall,

The border and bubble issues are certainly a big improvement.  I don't see much difference in the lighting issues.  Just to be able to let you see what I'm talking about, I did a screen print of your card and balanced the tonal range to help you visualize what I see.  When I did that, the whites on the head and bridge are completely washed . . . in other words, there is no detail to recover, so you have to figure out how to fix that or try another photograph.

What I did is simply paint on both some deeper values and then since there is no recovery, there is no texture, so I painted on some light texture to the top of the head.  Then as I mentioned above, used another layer to paint some light on the darker portions of the face to help balance the lighting.

I darkened the ground and more of the dog, again painting with a masked layer and then cloned over the sun spot on the ground by the front paws. What I think you will now see is how much that dog face pops out at the viewer.  There are no more washed out areas and the eye no longer wanders away from the subject.

Keep in mind I did this in a matter of minutes, so it was not done with a lot of care, but I wanted you to see what is possible and see it the way I see it.  Now, of course I can not give you any guarantee that the image I modified would be accepted, I can only say from a professional photographer's standpoint the technical errors from capture have been corrected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34356472@N04/6967181283/in/photostream/lightbox/

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:17pm

Doreen, if I may ask, what program did you do this with?  At one point, you sent me some instructions with painting with light and I did try but my old PS Elements I think is missing what I need to do this or I might have misunderstood the directions.  I'm about to consider a purchase for a newer program and would like some suggestions that I can get without busting the bank account.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:37pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 9th, 2012, 3:17pm:
Doreen, if I may ask, what program did you do this with?  At one point, you sent me some instructions with painting with light and I did try but my old PS Elements I think is missing what I need to do this or I might have misunderstood the directions.  I'm about to consider a purchase for a newer program and would like some suggestions that I can get without busting the bank account.

Hi Donna - I'm a Photoshop CS-5 user and that does break the bank unless you can buy upgrades like I did.  However, a new version of elements would probably allow you to do this since all I've done is apply a mask to a Levels or Curves layer and painted with a brush light or shadow only in the parts I wanted the adjustment.  The same technique was used to blend in a texture over the washed out parts.

I've heard great things about the later versions of Elements.  It's affordable, usually under $100 and I'm sure it would be a great stepping stone for you.  Of course GIMP is free and I'm told does pretty much every thing Photoshop does, but I've never had the need to use it so I can't give any advice in that arena.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:40pm

Yeah, that was it - the mask tool - my Elements doesn't have that.  I'd love CS-5 but yup - out of the question right now.  I do have Gimp but I'm finding it a bit difficult to work with.  Thanks for replying - I'll look at the new Elements and go from there.  

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:54pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 9th, 2012, 3:40pm:
Yeah, that was it - the mask tool - my Elements doesn't have that.  I'd love CS-5 but yup - out of the question right now.  I do have Gimp but I'm finding it a bit difficult to work with.  Thanks for replying - I'll look at the new Elements and go from there.  

Donna, I may be mistaken, but somewhere, I believe I read that you are a teacher.  If that's correct, you should be able to use an educational discount to buy photo editing software.  Most software companies will offer special 'student' packages, that might not have every bell and whistle, but certainly enough that it should help you out.

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:57pm

Hi Penny

Thanks so much for the suggestion - I'll look into it.  I may not be able to use such discounts because I'm only employed at the moment as a para and not a full teacher - still looking for a permanent teaching position.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2012, 5:51pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 9th, 2012, 3:57pm:

Thanks so much for the suggestion - I'll look into it.  I may not be able to use such discounts because I'm only employed at the moment as a para and not a full teacher - still looking for a permanent teaching position.

Donna,
When I homeschooled my kids, we purchased educationally priced items from Academic Superstore (I've always had great experiences with them).

Here's a link to the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium at their site: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Creative+Suite+Design+Premium/1 525607

And their requirements for Teachers, Faculty, Staff:

One of the following:
*Link to your faculty web page
*Faculty ID
*Letter of Employment on school letterhead
*Pay Stub (cross out confidential information)

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:17pm

One quick note here Donna just so you don't 'waste' money or get into a situation where you need to spend more money just to use new software.

Be very much aware of the Operating System you have, you computer's Memory requirements and whether you are using a Windows environment, be sure you know if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows environment.  Much of the latest 'full' versions of Photoshop WILL NOT install on a 32-bit system unless you specifically purchase that version.  

Just do a lot of homework so when you invest, you invest in something you can immediately use without having to put out more money to upgrade your computer.  Full versions of Photoshop take a fair amount of memory.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #27 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:26pm

thanks again folks for all the info...

Doreen, I have a Windows 7 64 bit custom built PC with quad core processor (hoping to save up to go to something even higher at some point - yeah, I'm turning techno geek!!).  I requested a "monster machine" from the gent who built it making sure he completely understood my needs for a machine that will handle graphics programs and the like for my photography and digital "art" endeavors.  

I'll certainly check in with him before ordering any software to confirm compatibility.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:31pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 9th, 2012, 6:26pm:
thanks again folks for all the info...

Doreen, I have a Windows 7 64 bit custom built PC with quad core processor (hoping to save up to go to something even higher at some point - yeah, I'm turning techno geek!!).  I requested a "monster machine" from the gent who built it making sure he completely understood my needs for a machine that will handle graphics programs and the like for my photography and digital "art" endeavors.

I'll certainly check in with him before ordering any software to confirm compatibility.

Fantastic!  Now a days, adding memory is very affordable and you've got someone there who can do that for you should you decide you need it.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #29 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:35pm

nice knowing his family too - his mom will tan his 41 year old hide if he doesn't follow through  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_136771
artist

Reply #30 - Mar 10th, 2012, 6:38pm

Hi, Randy,
I love the bulldog card. I didn't see the earlier version, but this version looks great. I hate the dreaded "hold," too. Of course, that's better than "declined," because there's still hope.  

Is there enough of the photo that you could re-crop so that you can eliminate the border?  Even when the borders are even on the design, they are sometimes a little off when they are cut at the printer.  Then there will be no issue at all about the borders when the reviewers look at the design.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2012, 3:42pm

Thank you Catherine!  Your's and a couple others here suggestions on the border were good ideas. Unfortunately I cropped in too close to Baxter when I took this, so I'm working with the parameters that you see here to fit it to a 5X7 format.  I need the border to keep the design within the trim and margin lines.  Baxter doesn't belong to me.  His owners brought him out to one of the car shows that I shoot at to sell a couple of puppies he sired so chances of seeing him again and having another chance for a shot are out.   Sad

Well I worked on it some more as Doreen offered some excellent suggestions.  Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with the post image tools as she is, but here is what I came up with.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/apology-im-sorry-cards/animals-pets/dogs/eng lish-bull-dog-eeewww-boy-911171?aid=140313  

I think the lighting on the rocks came out ok as they are now fairly even.  I had some trouble trying to get rid of the wash out on the top of the head.  Doreen warned me that I didn't have much to work with there and she was right.  I was able to bring out some detaill on the hairs, but to me looks  a bit grey on the top of the head.  Doreen did an example for me and did a much better job, but I'm thinking if the reviewers are that sticklish, I should just give up entirely on this greeting card stuff.    cry  
After all these images are being printed at 5X7 or less if you are adding borders or incorporating other designs around the main image.

Thank you Doreen again for your help and the same to all the rest of you!  

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:31pm

Hey Randall,

Well kudos on the changes you've made and I hope it's enough to make the passing grade!  

I don't think the reviewers are being 'sticklish', it states very clearly in the submission guidelines what are considered issues that may bring on a decline such as under Image Quality it says this:

Lighting / Flash-eye
Photographs must have exceptionally good lighting. Avoid submitting images with deep shadows and blown-out highlights which lose detail in those areas, or red-eye (flash-eye) in photographs of living beings. Declines may include, but are not limited to:  blown out highlights, complete loss of detail in important shadows, harsh lighting, very low lighting, flash-eye regardless of the whether the result is red or not, etc.

Your original dog image clearly had lighting issues which may be why it was put on hold. When I read these guidelines I thought it was a great addition that they added for nearly all categories Reasons for Declines.  I think we if we all get to know those reasons well, we can all avoid declines for our imagery.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #33 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:38pm

although I totally agree with your reasoning, Doreen, I'm nervous about my inability in not recognizing such issues off the bat.  I know this will come with experience, but it's sometimes overwhelming and sometimes I think it's overkill.  Maybe it's just my being naive ...

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Mar 11th, 2012, 6:12pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 11th, 2012, 4:38pm:
although I totally agree with your reasoning, Doreen, I'm nervous about my inability in not recognizing such issues off the bat.  I know this will come with experience, but it's sometimes overwhelming and sometimes I think it's overkill.  Maybe it's just my being naive ...

Hi Donna,

Well, you are absolutely right, it does come with experience and I remember being where you are at one point, but the good news is, recognizing these technical flaws is not talent, it's learned behavior and something you can train your eye to be able to see Smiley

Email   IP Logged
_142762
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #35 - Mar 12th, 2012, 9:26am

Cute card. I think it could use a little levels and vibrance adjustment to make the dog's colors pop.

Best
Violet

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2012, 10:02am

what's the status on your bullie, Randy?  I think he's cute : )-  While that angle is *usually* a not-so-wonderful one (looking down on the dog) this looks like one of those time that it works to "break the rule".  Good job on the leash removal, btw!  If it were me, I'd maybe make the border not quite so in-your-face (closer match in color/texture to the rocks, maybe, at least I'd try it and see if it worked).  Right now the solid black draws my eye away from the dog's cute face. Maybe the black (since the text is black) with a low opacity overlay of the rocks for texture?  Not sure, I'd have to play a bit ... On the image itself, there are two white spots over the dog's back, near the rear.  While it may be two distinctive white hairs that an owner would like to see in a portrait ('cause it make him who he is) it's disctracting to me as someone who doesn't know the pup.  I'd probably hide them with the main coat color, myself ...  

overall - I'd approve it : )-

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #37 - Mar 26th, 2012, 11:31am

Thank you, Peggy!

These people came out to the charity car show I do once a month on Los Coches and old Hy 80 and had brought tow puppies with they were trying to sell along with both parents.  I wish I had time for a dog as I fell in love with Baxter here and would have loved to have one of his pups.

I just had five of the cards that I improved on approved and waiting on a sixth which I referred to someone being '29 still' and the reviewer considered it an age specific card which should go into age specific category.  It's not an age specific card as it was only a joke about being 29 for as long as one could get away with it, so I reworded the inner verse, sent an email to the reviewer and am awaiting their response.

Good news though as five were approved!

Hope all is going well with you and your shows.  We are so close, I'm surprised I haven't run into you around yet.  We're bound to get together at something coming up one of these days!   Shocked

Thanks for checking and for the suggestions.  I didn't even notice the white spots on his back, just a tan spot on the top of his precious wrinkled head which I left alone.   Grin

Best always,  Randy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.