Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Alright, What do you think is wrong with this card (Read 8982 times)
Catherine_136771
artist

Re: Alright, What do you think is wrong with this
Reply #30 - Mar 10th, 2012, 6:38pm

Hi, Randy,
I love the bulldog card. I didn't see the earlier version, but this version looks great. I hate the dreaded "hold," too. Of course, that's better than "declined," because there's still hope.  

Is there enough of the photo that you could re-crop so that you can eliminate the border?  Even when the borders are even on the design, they are sometimes a little off when they are cut at the printer.  Then there will be no issue at all about the borders when the reviewers look at the design.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2012, 3:42pm

Thank you Catherine!  Your's and a couple others here suggestions on the border were good ideas. Unfortunately I cropped in too close to Baxter when I took this, so I'm working with the parameters that you see here to fit it to a 5X7 format.  I need the border to keep the design within the trim and margin lines.  Baxter doesn't belong to me.  His owners brought him out to one of the car shows that I shoot at to sell a couple of puppies he sired so chances of seeing him again and having another chance for a shot are out.   Sad

Well I worked on it some more as Doreen offered some excellent suggestions.  Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with the post image tools as she is, but here is what I came up with.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/apology-im-sorry-cards/animals-pets/dogs/eng lish-bull-dog-eeewww-boy-911171?aid=140313  

I think the lighting on the rocks came out ok as they are now fairly even.  I had some trouble trying to get rid of the wash out on the top of the head.  Doreen warned me that I didn't have much to work with there and she was right.  I was able to bring out some detaill on the hairs, but to me looks  a bit grey on the top of the head.  Doreen did an example for me and did a much better job, but I'm thinking if the reviewers are that sticklish, I should just give up entirely on this greeting card stuff.    cry  
After all these images are being printed at 5X7 or less if you are adding borders or incorporating other designs around the main image.

Thank you Doreen again for your help and the same to all the rest of you!  

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:31pm

Hey Randall,

Well kudos on the changes you've made and I hope it's enough to make the passing grade!  

I don't think the reviewers are being 'sticklish', it states very clearly in the submission guidelines what are considered issues that may bring on a decline such as under Image Quality it says this:

Lighting / Flash-eye
Photographs must have exceptionally good lighting. Avoid submitting images with deep shadows and blown-out highlights which lose detail in those areas, or red-eye (flash-eye) in photographs of living beings. Declines may include, but are not limited to:  blown out highlights, complete loss of detail in important shadows, harsh lighting, very low lighting, flash-eye regardless of the whether the result is red or not, etc.

Your original dog image clearly had lighting issues which may be why it was put on hold. When I read these guidelines I thought it was a great addition that they added for nearly all categories Reasons for Declines.  I think we if we all get to know those reasons well, we can all avoid declines for our imagery.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #33 - Mar 11th, 2012, 4:38pm

although I totally agree with your reasoning, Doreen, I'm nervous about my inability in not recognizing such issues off the bat.  I know this will come with experience, but it's sometimes overwhelming and sometimes I think it's overkill.  Maybe it's just my being naive ...

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Mar 11th, 2012, 6:12pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Mar 11th, 2012, 4:38pm:
although I totally agree with your reasoning, Doreen, I'm nervous about my inability in not recognizing such issues off the bat.  I know this will come with experience, but it's sometimes overwhelming and sometimes I think it's overkill.  Maybe it's just my being naive ...

Hi Donna,

Well, you are absolutely right, it does come with experience and I remember being where you are at one point, but the good news is, recognizing these technical flaws is not talent, it's learned behavior and something you can train your eye to be able to see Smiley

Email   IP Logged
_142762
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #35 - Mar 12th, 2012, 9:26am

Cute card. I think it could use a little levels and vibrance adjustment to make the dog's colors pop.

Best
Violet

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2012, 10:02am

what's the status on your bullie, Randy?  I think he's cute : )-  While that angle is *usually* a not-so-wonderful one (looking down on the dog) this looks like one of those time that it works to "break the rule".  Good job on the leash removal, btw!  If it were me, I'd maybe make the border not quite so in-your-face (closer match in color/texture to the rocks, maybe, at least I'd try it and see if it worked).  Right now the solid black draws my eye away from the dog's cute face. Maybe the black (since the text is black) with a low opacity overlay of the rocks for texture?  Not sure, I'd have to play a bit ... On the image itself, there are two white spots over the dog's back, near the rear.  While it may be two distinctive white hairs that an owner would like to see in a portrait ('cause it make him who he is) it's disctracting to me as someone who doesn't know the pup.  I'd probably hide them with the main coat color, myself ...  

overall - I'd approve it : )-

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #37 - Mar 26th, 2012, 11:31am

Thank you, Peggy!

These people came out to the charity car show I do once a month on Los Coches and old Hy 80 and had brought tow puppies with they were trying to sell along with both parents.  I wish I had time for a dog as I fell in love with Baxter here and would have loved to have one of his pups.

I just had five of the cards that I improved on approved and waiting on a sixth which I referred to someone being '29 still' and the reviewer considered it an age specific card which should go into age specific category.  It's not an age specific card as it was only a joke about being 29 for as long as one could get away with it, so I reworded the inner verse, sent an email to the reviewer and am awaiting their response.

Good news though as five were approved!

Hope all is going well with you and your shows.  We are so close, I'm surprised I haven't run into you around yet.  We're bound to get together at something coming up one of these days!   Shocked

Thanks for checking and for the suggestions.  I didn't even notice the white spots on his back, just a tan spot on the top of his precious wrinkled head which I left alone.   Grin

Best always,  Randy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.