Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
NEW - Star Submitter Status (Read 13624 times)
Marie_134287
artist

Re: NEW - Star Submitter Status
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2012, 11:47am

I congratulate anyone who makes this grade. I think it's nice but I would not exactly call it an incentive. My big trouble has always been categories and just when I think I've got it, I get set back with a redo.  I always try my best, but there is so much to learn here, sometimes it can be overwhelming.  Copious note-taking does not seem to help me either.  I just keep plugging away and I find experience is the best teacher.  As a note, I have found myself asking reviewers questions more frequently when I submit, using the note to reviewers. They have always been terrific and I found only one reviewer that did not communicate well since I've been here.  So onward I go, still plugging away.  Maybe someday.  But congrats to all who can achieve this.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2012, 10:36am

Some will make it - every company has it's 'Goody Two Shoes' or whatever the expression is and GCU has a few in the hurrah team who I'm sure get a few mistakes overlooked based on the cheerleading they do here.  They'll deny it, these little worms always do, but every company has them.   Shocked

Like Evelyn mentioned, we're not submitting cards thinking that they are subpar, rather quite the opposite.  We've worked on that design sometimes spending countless hours and we think we have a winner, otherwise we wouldn't submit it.  I personally don't see any way I'm ever going to be perfect either, nor do I care to strive for such.  It's not worth the effort, especially for the payout at the end!  I can see issues with people who submit extrodinary amounts of submissions with errors such as spelling, grammar and punctuation although a greeting card isn't a literary masterpiece which should be scrutinized as such, but most grammatical rules should be followed.  I don't think GCU is looking for perfection here and if they are, they need to get their heads examined, but our text and verse needs to be reasonably free of errors.  Spelling should be easy as we do have the spell check feature in the card creation tool.

Mindy stated that they should have a record of nearly perfect submissions, which I'm sure a handful of artists here have.  I'm wondering if it's so much that they are good and error free or that they have been here so long, are consistent and do so much for the company that the reviewers and staff are afraid to mess with them?   Grin Grin Grin   The fact remains, they produce and the company wants to reward them for that and not have their submissions get bogged down with the likes of those from the rest of us.  Makes total sense and if it was my company, I'd do the same.

Those of you fretting over the "Star Submitter' status, I wouldn't worry about it.  It is what it is!  Just be the best that you can be, learn as much as you can and keep adjusting your sights accordingly!

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:41pm

Quote from Randall_140313 on Mar 8th, 2012, 10:36am:
Some will make it - every company has it's 'Goody Two Shoes' or whatever the expression is and GCU has a few in the hurrah team who I'm sure get a few mistakes overlooked based on the cheerleading they do here.  They'll deny it, these little worms always do, but every company has them.   Shocked

Like Evelyn mentioned, we're not submitting cards thinking that they are subpar, rather quite the opposite.  We've worked on that design sometimes spending countless hours and we think we have a winner, otherwise we wouldn't submit it.  I personally don't see any way I'm ever going to be perfect either, nor do I care to strive for such.  It's not worth the effort, especially for the payout at the end!  I can see issues with people who submit extrodinary amounts of submissions with errors such as spelling, grammar and punctuation although a greeting card isn't a literary masterpiece which should be scrutinized as such, but most grammatical rules should be followed.  I don't think GCU is looking for perfection here and if they are, they need to get their heads examined, but our text and verse needs to be reasonably free of errors.  Spelling should be easy as we do have the spell check feature in the card creation tool.

Mindy stated that they should have a record of nearly perfect submissions, which I'm sure a handful of artists here have.  I'm wondering if it's so much that they are good and error free or that they have been here so long, are consistent and do so much for the company that the reviewers and staff are afraid to mess with them?   Grin Grin Grin   The fact remains, they produce and the company wants to reward them for that and not have their submissions get bogged down with the likes of those from the rest of us.  Makes total sense and if it was my company, I'd do the same.

Those of you fretting over the "Star Submitter' status, I wouldn't worry about it.  It is what it is!  Just be the best that you can be, learn as much as you can and keep adjusting your sights accordingly!

Best always, Randy

Randy,
What on earth on you talking about?!  Hurrah team?  Worms?  Really?  No need to be a hater.

By no means should it be read that we are playing favorites or treat certain artists with kid gloves.  The incentive is simply to reward those who have taken the time artistically and GCU process-wise to submit cards that are effortless for the review team to review.  Period.  

It is unfair for you to make those statements and minimize the work ethics of artists who dedicate a great deal of time and attention in their work here to be professional, targeted, thorough, attentive, top quality, committed, etc.  

Might those who have been here longer have a leg up?  Maybe, as they are likely more familiar with the processes and guidelines however the same information is available to everyone and we have plenty of artists who have been here for years that still submit cards with margin allowance errors and generic non-descriptive card titles for example so it's not a given.  

We are not looking for perfection but very clearly a product that is professional, of high quality and excellence.  One that shoppers will be confident and satisfied to spend their money on.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Mar 8th, 2012, 1:26pm

Quote from Mindy on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:41pm:
Quote from Randall_140313 on Mar 8th, 2012, 10:36am:

Best always, Randy

Randy,
What on earth on you talking about?!  Hurrah team?  Worms?  Really?  No need to be a hater.

By no means should it be read that we are playing favorites or treat certain artists with kid gloves.  The incentive is simply to reward those who have taken the time artistically and GCU process-wise to submit cards that are effortless for the review team to review.  Period.  

It is unfair for you to make those statements and minimize the work ethics of artists who dedicate a great deal of time and attention in their work here to be professional, targeted, thorough, attentive, top quality, committed, etc.  

Might those who have been here longer have a leg up?  Maybe, as they are likely more familiar with the processes and guidelines however the same information is available to everyone and we have plenty of artists who have been here for years that still submit cards with margin allowance errors and generic non-descriptive card titles for example so it's not a given.  

We are not looking for perfection but very clearly a product that is professional, of high quality and excellence.  One that shoppers will be confident and satisfied to spend their money on.

I'm not a hater.  That is how things work Mindy.  It happens everywhere.  Certain ones really produce for a company and their flaws are overlooked as the rest of what they do is more than productive and works for the company as a whole.  That's a given and my references are meant to be humorous in that regard.  We all have thses little worms wherever we work that we envy!  Grin

When I worked at sales, there was always one or two salespeople who always did better than the rest of us.  They got all the attention of course and we were always told how we needed to eximplify them.  There's always a bit of jealousy, envy or whatever goes on when someone knows something you don't or seems to fly right along while you're sitting at the side of the road spinning your wheels in the mud.  It's human nature!

If any of my comments are considerd snide, my apologies, I'm just trying to make light of what some of us are feeling and approch the issues from a realistic angle.

It seems like some are concerned with the fact that they see the star submitter status as unobtainable.  I'm in the same boat and trying to encourage them to keep moving forward and not to worry about something they don't need to have any worry over.  

I'm sorry for trying, for expressing my concerns and for being such a party puss!  Can I go back and delete my posts?   Grin Grin Grin

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Gerda_141408
artist

Reply #19 - Mar 8th, 2012, 3:00pm

Hi Mindy,

maybe one problem with the Star Submitter Status is that it seems to be not transparent enough,..at least for me.  
Lets say I get one out of 10 cards returned for edits,..am I' am doing pretty good or is that  really bad? No idea!
How do we know, if we are pretty close and try a little bit harder or if we are way off.  Huh

Unlike to the GCU Team, as an artist I don't know, how well other artist submit their work , I mean star submitter wise. Are there any star submitter, yet? 5 or 500?
Since this topic seems to come up again and again I thought I should ask my questions and hope that someone else gets something out of this, too.  
Maybe I missed it and I apologize if  similar question were already answered somewhere else. But if GCU could provide some information regarding the percentage and how many cards need to be approved errorfree...50 or 500? And what does it take to keep the Status or to loose it. One Mistake or 10? Some sort of submitter rating would help me to know what to aim for. If I would know,..e.g. I have to submit 20 more cards error free,.

Right now, it feels like I don't know how much more it takes.. If there are any answers for those questions, I would highly appreciate it>
The idea of this system itself makes totally sense for me. Smiley

Thank you!

Gerda

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2012, 2:18pm

Quote from Gerda_141408 on Mar 8th, 2012, 3:00pm:
Hi Mindy,

maybe one problem with the Star Submitter Status is that it seems to be not transparent enough,..at least for me.
Lets say I get one out of 10 cards returned for edits,..am I' am doing pretty good or is that  really bad? No idea!
How do we know, if we are pretty close and try a little bit harder or if we are way off.  Huh

Unlike to the GCU Team, as an artist I don't know, how well other artist submit their work , I mean star submitter wise. Are there any star submitter, yet? 5 or 500?
Since this topic seems to come up again and again I thought I should ask my questions and hope that someone else gets something out of this, too.
Maybe I missed it and I apologize if  similar question were already answered somewhere else. But if GCU could provide some information regarding the percentage and how many cards need to be approved errorfree...50 or 500? And what does it take to keep the Status or to loose it. One Mistake or 10? Some sort of submitter rating would help me to know what to aim for. If I would know,..e.g. I have to submit 20 more cards error free,.

Right now, it feels like I don't know how much more it takes.. If there are any answers for those questions, I would highly appreciate it>
The idea of this system itself makes totally sense for me. Smiley

Thank you!

Gerda

Hi Gerda,
Sorry for my delayed response.

There will not be any calculated measurements nor accounting determining Star Submitter.  The process which is pretty informal is as follows as originally posted:

How will this work?  
On an ongoing basis the Card Review Team will nominate artists whose quality of work and consistency in applying GCU guidelines, virtually error free card submissions, deserve to be rewarded.  GCU staff will be final judge & jury on nomination confirmations.    

At this moment we have 5 Star Submitters.  It will grow but by design will remain a relatively small population to make sure the turnaround time on SS reviews stays speedy.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2012, 7:13am

Mindy, I do agree with Gerda about the whole 'not transparent enough' thing.  

My take on the whole Star Submitter status ... is that it is a privilege that has been earned by artists who have submitted quality work, consistently and seamlessly. They should be proud, I'm sure it's no small feat to attain someting like this at GCU, where there are thousands of artists.

I honestly think that since it is 'technically' an award of sorts here at GCU, it should be made public here in the forum. I am sure that the rest of us who have not acheived this level of status would appreciate the opportunity to actually view the quality and consistency that has earned the few artists here this privilege. It would give everyone else the chance to view first hand at what GCU is looking for.  

I think that if you do make it common knowledge of who these artists are and who attains this in future, it would help guide the other artists and maybe cut down on the dissappointment of when a card is declined by a reviewer. Atleast they would have a reference or a comparison if they had to re-work they design or get rid of it all together.

You did say that it entitled the artist to 'bragging rights'. Yet we can all only guess who these artists are. I would love to have a reference for consistent work, especially when I work a 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. job (six days a week) and design cards in my free time, if I knew what I kept doing wrong I would be able to focus on one area at a time and become a more well-rounded contributor to GCU.

Just some food for thought.

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - May 5th, 2012, 4:48pm

Quote from Oma_132016 on May 5th, 2012, 7:13am:
 Mindy, I do agree with Gerda about the whole 'not transparent enough' thing.

My take on the whole Star Submitter status ... is that it is a privilege that has been earned by artists who have submitted quality work, consistently and seamlessly. They should be proud, I'm sure it's no small feat to attain someting like this at GCU, where there are thousands of artists.

I honestly think that since it is 'technically' an award of sorts here at GCU, it should be made public here in the forum. I am sure that the rest of us who have not acheived this level of status would appreciate the opportunity to actually view the quality and consistency that has earned the few artists here this privilege. It would give everyone else the chance to view first hand at what GCU is looking for.

I think that if you do make it common knowledge of who these artists are and who attains this in future, it would help guide the other artists and maybe cut down on the dissappointment of when a card is declined by a reviewer. Atleast they would have a reference or a comparison if they had to re-work they design or get rid of it all together.

You did say that it entitled the artist to 'bragging rights'. Yet we can all only guess who these artists are. I would love to have a reference for consistent work, especially when I work a 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. job (six days a week) and design cards in my free time, if I knew what I kept doing wrong I would be able to focus on one area at a time and become a more well-rounded contributor to GCU.

Just some food for thought.

Oma.

Oma,

i think we have a pretty good idea who most of the star submitters are as they're likely the ones who seem to be working the hardest at it.   Wink

I don't always see eye to eye with them in their assesment of others work, but they are always doing something right even if they are not always right, if you know what I mean.  Another thing I will give them a big hand for is their devotion to this business as a whole, especially devoting much energy and time to helping their fellow artists here even though they don't get paid for doing so.  That says a lot about the calier of these busy bees!  Like you, me and most other artists here, we're all part timers with day jobs so to speak and any help from these more experienced is well appreciated.  I think most of them have a bit more time to put into their card businesses, but from what I see, they may be full time, professional artists working at their GCU stores, however they're also working other angles and sources to promote their business so they've paid some of the dues along the way.  Even if not always right, it will only pay to listen to any free advice they offer, check out their stores to see what they're doing and model our business after their examples.

I don't care much for the 'Star submitter' program, as it favors those that have more time and ability to put into this business and I feel slightly handicapped as it is already, but there are certain rewards for hard work and success and this is one small perk for all that.  I don't expect to make it into their class, at least not until this is my full time endeavor, if such time ever comes as I tend to shoot from the hip which almost guarantees a few misses and not a perfect submission history.  However, common sense says that I should economize and make the best use of the time I do have available and any shortcuts that I can glean from their experience, I'm taking advantage of.

With that said, don't worry about who these 'Star Submitters' are as I think if you had to guess, you'd be almost right, rather take a few minutes every day at the forum, at the Critique Clinic and other threads where they offer their dedicated help and advice and learn all you can from them.  Even if you don't make the list of stars, you'll save yourself a lot of grief, wasted time and likely start increasing your sales here at GCU!

Anyway, that's my plan!   Grin Grin Grin

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2012, 7:02pm

You are right in many ways Randall but I still appreciate a good challenge.

In all honesty I commend the artists here at GCU who can do this full time and have time to post/ tweet. I appreciate that they take the time to give advice and help out other artists. I guess even if I don't ever obtain the status, at the very end of the day I would have become a better artist because of it. I'm willing to improve in any areas that I can.

I just think it's a good idea to post when Star Submitter status is attained by any artist, this would boost morale and make it seem more real of a goal. That way no other artist will continue to think there is any bias of any sort going on.

I can understand what you're hinting at ... but it even though it seems unreachable at this point I can't help but try to atleast attempt getting it. I have 4 cards pending  review for over 2 months now and can't help wanting to find another way to get my cards to my store faster.

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #24 - May 7th, 2012, 5:42am

Hi Oma,

Thank you for bringing the outstanding cards to our attention. We were able to find 4 cards outstanding as pending resubmitted. The reason for the delay is not evident.
If there seems to be an unusually long delay on your resubmitted cards at any time in the future please send us and email to cardreview@greetingcarduniverse.com. and we will be happy to look into it for you.  
We apologize for any inconvenience.  

Reviewer 758

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2012, 3:04pm by Card_Review_Team »  
Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #25 - May 8th, 2012, 2:55am

Thank you Reviewer 758! Smiley

I truly appreciated you looking into it.  

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2012, 2:43pm

I hear your desire for transparency and wanting to see and learn from these examples however the card designs/images themselves is just one part of the criteria for earning SS status.

As shared in the original post, we're taking into consideration:
 ... categories, titles, keywords, verses, artist’s notes, composition, margin allowances, image quality, spelling, grammar, etc.  

Many of these factors have to do with the process of the submission itself.  Finding the correct categories, creating effective card titles, not including misleading keywords, no typos, etc.   These are things that are not learned by observing other artists' approved cards but via the GCU wiki and advice on the forum and GCU Community Blog.

We have plenty of artists submitting A+ designs but have not yet mastered creating an effective card title or finding the appropriate category for example.

For what it's worth not all Star Submitters are vocal on the forum.  We sure appreciate those that are as they have the process down pat and have some valuable advice to share  

Email   IP Logged
Lois_138267
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2013, 6:33am

I agree .. certainly something to work towards!! Creating an image for GCU that works just right is always a fun challenge!!

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 6:35am

Hi Mindy - I'm wondering whether you could be more specific about the Star Submitter status.

I've only totted up my approved new cards as far as the beginning of this year, but even then, I've had more than 200 cards approved, one understandably Returned for Edits, one that was a case of the Reviewer  hitting the wrong button (so that's one-all, I think  Grin) and two that were a complete mystery to me why they were returned. (I emailed the  reviewer about them at the time but haven't had a reply).

So what does it take to get to this status?

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2013, 12:03pm

Hi Judy,
You mention that two cards were returned and may be in 'limbo'. Please would you send an email to the review team with the card numbers in question and we will investigate.  

In regard to the Star Submitter status here is another post on that subject if the original post on this thread did not answer your questions.  
Here's a recent post on the blog about Star Submitters:
http://gcucommunity.com/2013/04/02/tips-and-tricks-star-submitter/

Reviewer 758

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.