Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Photo card help please (Read 4583 times)
Angela_151919
Gold Member
artist

Re: Photo card help please
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2012, 6:26am

Hi Randall,
There are a few free software freebies that will let you make a transparent area, just Google
free graphics software that allows transparent areas
But, I took Doreen's advice & purchased Photoshop elements.  
I bought an older version 7 & it lets me do all of this and more. It cost me less than 20 dollars,
so it may pay you to get that.
I haven't looked back since I got it & I don't use any of the freebies that I had previously, because
the photoshop elements does it all!

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2012, 9:56am

Quote from stacy_136134 on Jan 24th, 2012, 6:04pm:
Hi, I looked at the GCU 101 and tip and tricks etc., but I didn't find what I need.  I know there are lots of photo cards on here - by that I mean cards where the customer can up load their photo, like for christmas or what ever.  I don't see a template or anything -  do I just design a card front leaving space for the photo that is blank?  How does the photo card creation work?  
thanks,
stacy

Ok - day two.

I downloaded GIMP as there is no way in Picasa to create a transparent area on an image.  I found a great little tutorial on you tube for removing a background by using the GIMP software.  It's presented by a kid, but they do a really nice job and so simple, this dummy was able to follow.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1l_8soySfc

It took me into the wee hours of the morning, but had some success.  I had to change my photo area on the card front to a colored square which wasn't a color that I had in the original design and then create the transparent area by selecting the color.  A bit primitive, but it was a start and my first lesson in layers.  I'm wondering if you can save the entire image area as a transparency and achieve the same results or if you can select an area by dragging an outline tool around the part of the card front you allow for the custom photo?  Anyway, either someone will chip in or I've got to do some more playing in the program.

For now, a great end to the project.  After resubmitting early in the AM, my first photo card was approved this morning.  YIPPEE!!!

Thank you Doreen & Lj!  Thank you Stacy for getting this thread started and good luck with creating your first photo cards as well!

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2012, 10:03am

Quote from Angela_151919 on Jan 25th, 2012, 6:26am:
Hi Randall,
There are a few free software freebies that will let you make a transparent area, just Google
free graphics software that allows transparent areas
But, I took Doreen's advice & purchased Photoshop elements.
I bought an older version 7 & it lets me do all of this and more. It cost me less than 20 dollars,
so it may pay you to get that.
I haven't looked back since I got it & I don't use any of the freebies that I had previously, because
the photoshop elements does it all!

Thank you Angela!  I saw someone on Craigslist selling CS-5 for $40 with the disc, but it was sold by the time I responded.  There are deals out there and an older version is perfectly fine for creating some very wondeful cards.  

This GIMP program looks to be quite useful as well.  I'm not sure if it has the zone features like Photoshop which I'm salivating on learning to use, but for now, it's got plenty of tools in the box to get me started, beyond what programs I already had.

Take care and thanks again!

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2012, 1:10pm

Randy, I just checked out your first photo card http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/zoom.asp?pid=892874&w=1&ref =details_large_view and I think it is just beautiful. You did a great job!  

In paint.net (which is what I use) you use the magic wand and click it over the area that you have selected to be transparent, which is usually a different color than your frame, then it will take a few minutes to appear a light blue. You then hit the delete button and it will leave you with a gray and white checkerboard design which means it is then transparent. You hit the file and save as ---- button (making sure it says png at the botom) and then another screen will pop up showing you a close-up. You then click ok and your design is saved.   Just thought I would give you some software options here.  Wink

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.