Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Photo card help please (Read 4584 times)
stacy_136134
artist

Photo card help please
Jan 24th, 2012, 6:04pm

Hi, I looked at the GCU 101 and tip and tricks etc., but I didn't find what I need.  I know there are lots of photo cards on here - by that I mean cards where the customer can up load their photo, like for christmas or what ever.  I don't see a template or anything -  do I just design a card front leaving space for the photo that is blank?  How does the photo card creation work?  
thanks,
stacy

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Re: Photo card help please
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:13pm

Hi Stacy,

You can design the card  any way you see best just remember to create the size - shape - etc. open frame work you want them to slip the picture into then save as a .png to keep the transparency vs: a .jpeg that would not remain transparent.  Insert a 'place holder' image into your open frame when submitting and the customer can replace the placeholder image with their own.  Design + Saving as a .png are the keys here.   Have fun!  

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Terry_151326
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:14pm

Hi,

Yes you design a card, then select the area where you want people to add their picture to with the Marquee tool (Photoshop) then press "delete: which leaves you with a transparent area for the picture. Be sure to save the card in .png format and when you have to select the area for the picture during the adding the information and verse to the card make the area bigger than the actual cutout so the customer has room to move their photo aroun.

Terry

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:24pm

OK - I'm a dummy!   embarrassed

Have been working on some photo cards myself, but don't have photoshop.  I'm using Picasa, Picnik, Paint and have Fotografix1.5.  I don't see how to create a transparency in any of these programs.  Am I missing something or do I need to find a photoshop program?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:28pm

Hi Stacy,

Where you want to go is the new GCU University links!  Our own Tom Rent has been creating wonderful video tutorials and there is one for the new Custom Cards that GCU offer.

http://www.gcuwiki.com/gcuu.html

Randall,

PNG is a standard file type used and accepted by many programs, so I suggest that whatever programs you use, you look to Google for 'Creating a transparent background in ??? whatever the program is' - I know you can accomplish the same transparent PNG in GIMP, so worst case you can download that for free if it comes to that.

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:38pm

Hi Randy~   Smiley

There are a lot of good tutorials on the web.  For free too.    

Like this one for ms paint>  http://youtu.be/eZMgAl2CYlY

or here>  http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/paintshoppro/f/exportpng.htm

You just Google what your looking for with a good choice keyword search and viola..  Lot's of times you find all kinds of cool stuff..  A gateway to many great things.  Cool

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:48pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jan 24th, 2012, 6:28pm:
Hi Stacy,

Where you want to go is the new GCU University links!  Our own Tom Rent has been creating wonderful video tutorials and there is one for the new Custom Cards that GCU offer.

http://www.gcuwiki.com/gcuu.html

Randall,

PNG is a standard file type used and accepted by many programs, so I suggest that whatever programs you use, you look to Google for 'Creating a transparent background in ??? whatever the program is' - I know you can accomplish the same transparent PNG in GIMP, so worst case you can download that for free if it comes to that.

Thank you Doreen!

I was able to convert my images to the PNG format and downloaded one of my card fronts to GCU as a PNG, set the area and submitted the card.  They returned it for edit saying I needed to set a transparnt area and referred me to Tom's really simple video.  What I'm missing is setting the transparent area or zone on my photo editing end.

I tried to figure out how to set a transparency in one of these programs and have searched the help areas, but don't think it is possible.  Thought perhaps I was missing something.  Will try and download GIMP and see if I can work it out there unless someone knows an easier way.

I'm really excited about doing some custom photo cards and hope it's easy enough to be worthwhile.

Another couple of questions; Will GIMP or any of the programs show a matte area or a checkered look like I understand Photoshop does?  And, once submitted at GCU, after selecting the area(x,y,z), the placeholder image and submitting, does the submitted card front show the placeholder image on your card front image letting you know that you were successful in submitting a viable card front?

Sorry for being totally lame in this area, but I've heard the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.   Grin

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2012, 6:51pm

Whoops!  embarrassed

Thanks Lj!  Overlapped our responses.  I've searched and missed something, but I'll see where your suggestions go.

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2012, 7:12pm

Randy,  You do know that after upload..  you have tools provided by GCU to add all the touches too,  Yes? You need to follow several steps here > after your png uploading to final prepare the photo card..  
I will wait for your answer to this and we shall go from there.. Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2012, 7:23pm

Hey Randy,

You've got Lj's help and that is some of the best!

Here is a link to a google search for:  'How do I create a transparent area in Picasa'

Well the link to the search does not seem to want to work, so you can enter my question and get the answers you need

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2012, 7:46pm

Thank you Lj and Doreen.

I just downloaded GIMP and thought I was at the official GIMP website, but got hit with two or three other aggressive programs that are hijacking my browser.  I did click on the don't change browser settings but still downloaded a new browser page called alot.  Now have to figure out how to get rid of that.

Anyway, did import the image of the card front I want to use as a custom photo card and tried to create a transparent area where I want the customer to be able to download their photo, but it looks like I saved the whole card front with a tranparent background layer.  I think I'll need to do some more playing around in the program or start attending our photoshop users group meetings.   Grin

On the GCU end, I think that is pretty simple, just need to learn the tools at the GIMP site or will search as you suggest Doreen in the Picasa tutorial.  

Going back and rereading the posts here to see what I missed first.

Thank you so much and will keep you updated.

Best always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2012, 7:49pm

If you need anything that I can (if able) help you with.. just speak up~   Smiley

Happy Photo Carding!  

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2012, 8:49pm

Quote from Lj_135293 on Jan 24th, 2012, 7:49pm:

If you need anything that I can (if able) help you with.. just speak up~   Smiley

Happy Photo Carding!  

Yes, now that you mention it, you wouldn't have an extra brain laying around, would you?   Wink

I tried resubmitting the one card I changed the image of thinking I had saved a transparent area for.  The placeholder image showed momentarily when I was resizing it in the area I assumed was my transparent zone, but when I clicked on save and the card shows in the manage card area, the placeholder image isn't showing.  

Should it be visible?

I'm going back and play with the GIMP tools some more.  Maybe figure it out or if not, learn some new tricks for editing my photos.

Thank you for being so patient!

Best Always, Randy

Email   IP Logged
sarah_156107
artist

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2012, 1:42am

I love creating photo cards, as soon as gcu made that option available, i hardly created regular cards anymore! hope people like my photo cards!

Email   IP Logged
stacy_136134
artist

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2012, 5:39am

wow Smiley  thanks for all the information.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.