Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
NEW - Submission Guidelines (Read 19202 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: NEW - Submission Guidelines
Reply #60 - Feb 13th, 2012, 4:01pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Feb 11th, 2012, 3:11am:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Feb 10th, 2012, 7:00pm:
Greetings!

I just have say that I like the phrase, "our hand-picked community of artists."  It sounds ever so much better than, "a random bunch of people who like to be artsy."

My 2-cents, for what it's worth.

Penny Smiley

Fly in the ointment again LOL but hand-picked on what grounds?  Being accomplished artists in other venues because I'm not one of them.  This all is making me very nervous because I am not a papered seasoned accomplished artist by any means - I've never won a contest outside of my 3D model horse work - my photographs have only been seen locally, outside of my efforts with GCU - I've entered one online photo contest and my only submission didn't even get a glance.  So, please see where I am most concerned that what I lack will come back to bite me some day.

Mindy, I've quoted my questions again in this thread.  Leaning Tower of Pisa question with a definitely crooked building and my other latest in regards to someone else using creative filters to convey a certain feeling to coincide with her sentiment.  Again, not trying to be a pain but to show I am the student looking to learn.  Maybe to you the same questions are coming up but my feeling is that if they are then proper clear answers haven't been given.  I do read all threads as best as I can and take note of any such discussions and plug into my memory banks all that I can as I look into striving for that higher bar - I do hope you will bear with me - as always, I don't mean to be disrespectful or problematic - I happen to agree with Doreen in saying I'm on this long journey - just looking for the right crumbs of bread to follow to find success in the end.

As for the  Roll Eyes - it does say "eye roll" when you roll over it LOL and yeah, misconstrued because it's taken to me as "she's at it again" or as a gesture of disrespect - something I have to reprimand my students for doing - you know that little deal when you give someone an instruction and they eye roll like "yeah, right" and refuse to follow.  Anyway, point taken and clarified and moving on...

You are right, it does say "eye roll" never saw that  Shocked <shocked that I've been using that!>.  I guess since I'm not an eye roller (unless my kids disagree w/ that statement) I didn't interpret it that way.  Goodness, I won't be using that smiley anymore.

Ok on to your questions:
1. "hand-picked" - should have nothing more read into it other than some creative marketing wording and is actually not so offbase as we are now stopping some artists at the door and asking some to leave (per my prior post on weeding efforts & assesments of body of work compared to Submission Guidelines).  This blurb small remain, as it is not a negative as Penny & Doreen have pointed out but a positive.

2. Leaning Tower of Pisa
your question I believe:
"Norma, I think you didn't read my full inquiry and are misquoting me here.  Based on what you are saying here, AND these "rules" of photography composition, if I photographed the Leaning Tower of Pisa for a greeting card, just as if someone might like to use the scenery in the countryside as that entire discussion circled around, then such an image of this world famous building would be unacceptable in both photography circles AND greeting card design in light of the fact that the building is crooked, OR I'd have to digitally or creatively photograph it to make it appear straight? "

Of course you would not need to straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa (unless this was your creative intent for humor or otherwise).  The angle is expected and as long as all other elements of the image are executed well per the submission guidelines it would be acceptable (composition, image quality, typography, marketability).  A barn that exists crooked in nature can be captured as such as long as all of the other elements "work" and it is the photographers job to use their eye and tools to get the best shot and edit the shot if needed to make it "work" be it the perspective, angle, lighting, cropping, etc.

3. Intentional Filter Usage:
your question I believe:
"someone else using creative filters to convey a certain feeling to coincide with her sentiment."

Filter use is fine and as with any treatement or effect the artist must determine that the end result meets the Submissin Guidelines.  We do suggest that this be made evident in the Notes to Reviewer and probably also in the Artist's Notes so it is obvious that the effect is intentional.  

Similar to my earlier answer below about making notes that prove to be helpful to the review team and possibly valuable to shoppers:
 http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1326242009/27#27

Specifically:
Yes, it always helps to include details in the Notes to Reviewers field to share anything about your submission that you think would be helpful during the review like image source (is it 3rd party or yours), intentional effects & details that may not be so obvious like soft focus,  off center, crooked, details outstide the safety margin, filters & effects, etc.  Now this doesn't mean that just because you've noted it that it will be approved but it does give the reviewers a better understanding of the artist's intent and what was done deliberately.  We often look to the title, keywords and Artist's Notes for clues but a clear note in Note to Reviewers is the most reliable and helpful.  

Imagine if it is a crooked old barn it would make sense that you've included in at least your title and/or keywords and/or Artist's Notes terms along those lines ie: "Crooked Old Barn".  

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #61 - Feb 13th, 2012, 4:41pm

Just for the record, I did give my crooked church the title, 'Quaint Old Church' and used 'quaint' 'old' and 'ancient' in the keywords. I described it as a 'very old church' in the Artist's Notes and I did consider mentioning it in the notes to reviewers but thought that might seem to suggest that they couldn't recognize 'quaint' when they saw it.

(A couple of definitions of 'quaint' that I found are: 'charmingly odd' and 'oddly picturesque' and I thought that was the perfect description for this mediaeval church.)

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #62 - Feb 15th, 2012, 11:04am

Quote from Judy_139270 on Feb 13th, 2012, 4:41pm:
Just for the record, I did give my crooked church the title, 'Quaint Old Church' and used 'quaint' 'old' and 'ancient' in the keywords. I described it as a 'very old church' in the Artist's Notes and I did consider mentioning it in the notes to reviewers but thought that might seem to suggest that they couldn't recognize 'quaint' when they saw it.

(A couple of definitions of 'quaint' that I found are: 'charmingly odd' and 'oddly picturesque' and I thought that was the perfect description for this mediaeval church.)

Yes, I recall you did an excellent job w/ your terms & descriptions, thank you.  However it was the image itself that was the issue.  

So, good to note from my above advice to Donna:
"... this doesn't mean that just because you've noted it that it will be approved but it does give the reviewers a better understanding of the artist's intent and what was done deliberately."

Email   IP Logged
Petra_Katrine_137769
artist

Reply #63 - Sep 7th, 2012, 3:18pm

Thank you for your concise, detailed response, Mindy. I'm working on being as professional as possible and sometimes wonder if investing in a photographic composition how to manual would be a good idea. I read through a lot of what offer and it was good, but I need something I can open and read when I'm not online, as I do the bulk of my editing/decision making BEFORE I upload and post the cards.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #64 - Sep 7th, 2012, 4:58pm

Quote from Petra_Katrine_137769 on Sep 7th, 2012, 3:18pm:
Thank you for your concise, detailed response, Mindy. I'm working on being as professional as possible and sometimes wonder if investing in a photographic composition how to manual would be a good idea. I read through a lot of what offer and it was good, but I need something I can open and read when I'm not online, as I do the bulk of my editing/decision making BEFORE I upload and post the cards.

Online as well but chuckfull of great advice, tips and examples is our GCU Community BLOG of which fellow artist Doreen has some wonderful posts on photography and other resources titled Dash of Inspiration.  See and signup here:
http://gcucommunity.com/

Email   IP Logged
Judi_203817
GCU Newbies

Reply #65 - Nov 28th, 2012, 1:18pm

I would like to thank the reviewers &/or administrators.   When I found this site, I was so excited, I jumped in too quickly, not knowing how & what to do. Several of my cards have been declined & I believe it is due to my not downloading correctly, i.e., with a scanner.  So now I am back to the drawing board, so to speak, & trying to get my scanner working & I will try again when I do that, the scanner is not cooperating.  I think this is a great site & I  look forward to submitting more & better cards.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.