Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
NEW - Submission Guidelines (Read 19116 times)
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Submission Guidelines
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2012, 8:53am

Well said, Doreen  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2012, 10:13am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 12th, 2012, 3:47am:

As asked before, would it be possible to open the critique forum to include images that perhaps we have not submitted for review yet - especially for those of us still learning this art?  Or am I asking way too much and should just shut down my store?

Hi Donna,
I don't want to jump in with incorrect information, but I think in the past I put a card up for critiquing at the clinic when it was still going through the approval process (it was actually on hold for weeks).  I had the same card for sale at GCU in my private gallery and was able to use that link to have it critiqued.  Unfortunately, the critique didn't exactly match what the reviewer said, and the public card was declined anyhow (even after I took the advice from the clinic and updated the card that was being reviewed).

My point is, take a chance.  Smiley  Ask if a card in your private gallery can be critiqued at the clinic...and if so, there's another avenue for getting valuable help.  Smiley  (Although Corrie might only allow it on a case-by-case basis, so you should probably ask each time you go that route).

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_137795
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2012, 10:53am

Regarding photography, I subscribe to a weekly photography newsletter: New Photography Tips for THIS Weekend from DPS, Digital Photography School. This week it had a wonderful exercise:  "A 15 Minute Exercise to Improve Your Photography in 2012". Here's the link:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/a-15-minute-exercise-to-help-you-impro ve-your-photography-in-2012

You may want to subscribe also. Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2012, 3:43pm

Quote from Elizabeth_137795 on Jan 12th, 2012, 10:53am:
Regarding photography, I subscribe to a weekly photography newsletter: New Photography Tips for THIS Weekend from DPS, Digital Photography School. This week it had a wonderful exercise:  "A 15 Minute Exercise to Improve Your Photography in 2012". Here's the link:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/a-15-minute-exercise-to-help-you-impro ve-your-photography-in-2012

You may want to subscribe also. Roll Eyes

Really good advice in that article Elizabeth!  Well worth a read and a try!  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2012, 3:55am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jan 12th, 2012, 8:07am:

" I've also read up on digital alteration/manipulation being frowned upon, especially with wildlife photography, because one IS changing what is seen and captured."   This DOES NOT apply to anything other than those photographs which are used to document the animal and/or environment for books or for stock images.  None of these images, unless simply amazing, would ever be acceptable for greeting cards without some cleanup.

Doreen, I've been following the work of Art Morris - "Birds as Art" - trying to gain insight into taking my images from documentation to creative - two big drawbacks for me - I'm poor and can't travel to exotic places nor do I have the top of the line equipment.  However, I am trying to move my images beyond just capturing for the sake of capturing an image of something I see.  Yet, trying to figure out how best to utilize what I can do here is where the frustration comes in...  

For my declined turtle image, I did everything I thought I could to make this image suitable - I cropped it in what I thought was an appropriate manner, it had clear text inserted on the image, I thought the image was crisp and clear, and it had a verse that went with it and it was placed into the appropriate category.  What made the decline hard to swallow was the personal interjection the reviewer made - that he/she found the image unattractive because of the environment the animal is living in - that he/she didn't even recognize it was a turtle.  I don't see how that comment had anything to do with the card.  Who cares if he/she didn't like it - it's not for that person but for someone who might like turtles and who KNOWS turtles don't always live in the most glorious of places.  It is a real animal in a real environment - sorry to sound so gruff but pardon me, and the poor turtle, that he wasn't basking on the white sands of South Beach, Florida, under a gorgeous golden sunset.

I'm well over the decline - the card is out of my store and I'll move on... but I want to use my wildlife images for my cards - so where do I create the happy medium for using them AND making greeting cards or am I in the wrong venue??  I've been feeling that unless I have those perfect cards from exotic places and exotic subjects and have professional training and top of the line equipment and photo processing programs, I'll never make it here because I am doing everything possible to please people I don't know if I can be successful at doing.  I AM going batty trying to juggle ALL the input from so many sources.  Too bad there wasn't a course in "Greeting Card Design 101"... I'd be first in line for it!!  This definitely is a whole other beast and every time I think I got something suitable, I'm not sure I want to bother submitting it here at all now.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2012, 7:43am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 12th, 2012, 3:47am:

As asked before, would it be possible to open the critique forum to include images that perhaps we have not submitted for review yet - especially for those of us still learning this art?  Or am I asking way too much and should just shut down my store?

GREAT NEWS, Donna!  Corrie has amended the rules of the clinic:
"Card must be for sale at Greeting Card Universe. HOWEVER, if you want advice on a card you intend to sell at GCU prior to uploading it, we will accept it, or if a card has been declined, we will accept it."

YAY!  Thanks, Corrie!  And thanks, Donna, for being persistent.    

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2012, 7:46am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 13th, 2012, 3:55am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Jan 12th, 2012, 8:07am:

" I've also read up on digital alteration/manipulation being frowned upon, especially with wildlife photography, because one IS changing what is seen and captured."   This DOES NOT apply to anything other than those photographs which are used to document the animal and/or environment for books or for stock images.  None of these images, unless simply amazing, would ever be acceptable for greeting cards without some cleanup.

Doreen, I've been following the work of Art Morris - "Birds as Art" - trying to gain insight into taking my images from documentation to creative - two big drawbacks for me - I'm poor and can't travel to exotic places nor do I have the top of the line equipment.  However, I am trying to move my images beyond just capturing for the sake of capturing an image of something I see.  Yet, trying to figure out how best to utilize what I can do here is where the frustration comes in...

For my declined turtle image, I did everything I thought I could to make this image suitable - I cropped it in what I thought was an appropriate manner, it had clear text inserted on the image, I thought the image was crisp and clear, and it had a verse that went with it and it was placed into the appropriate category.  What made the decline hard to swallow was the personal interjection the reviewer made - that he/she found the image unattractive because of the environment the animal is living in - that he/she didn't even recognize it was a turtle.  I don't see how that comment had anything to do with the card.  Who cares if he/she didn't like it - it's not for that person but for someone who might like turtles and who KNOWS turtles don't always live in the most glorious of places.  It is a real animal in a real environment - sorry to sound so gruff but pardon me, and the poor turtle, that he wasn't basking on the white sands of South Beach, Florida, under a gorgeous golden sunset.

I'm well over the decline - the card is out of my store and I'll move on... but I want to use my wildlife images for my cards - so where do I create the happy medium for using them AND making greeting cards or am I in the wrong venue??  I've been feeling that unless I have those perfect cards from exotic places and exotic subjects and have professional training and top of the line equipment and photo processing programs, I'll never make it here because I am doing everything possible to please people I don't know if I can be successful at doing.  I AM going batty trying to juggle ALL the input from so many sources.  Too bad there wasn't a course in "Greeting Card Design 101"... I'd be first in line for it!!  This definitely is a whole other beast and every time I think I got something suitable, I'm not sure I want to bother submitting it here at all now.

Donna,
I don't know what the answer is for you, we all find our direction and improve our skill set differently.  If wildlife is what you love to photograph then you might find additional outlets such as stock agencies a good place for the majority of your wildlife images.  If you wish to have success with greeting cards, then just keep submitting - there is no greater place to learn about creating a marketable greeting card design than at GCU these days.  No other publisher will tell you what area(s) your design may be weak.  

If you are too frustrated here, then focus on finding a good home for your wildlife imagery where you can bring in some additional money while you develop stronger design skills for this specific market.  Creating greeting cards is a 'niche' all of it's own and certainly is better suited to animal shots which evoke a strong emotion when viewing the card.  There was a post on animal shots and a link to some dynamic photographs which would make outstanding card images if you'd like to view it.

GCU Community Post:  http://gcucommunity.com/2011/08/15/dash-of-inspiration-august-15-2011/

One of the links in that post is:  If Animals Were Models:  http://www.noupe.com/photography/if-animals-were-models.html

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2012, 4:39pm

Asking AGAIN...

If the environment of a particular image (photograph or drawing of 'real life') does not lend itself to perfect composition (for example, a house leaning over on a hilly landscape because that's what is really there) - if this is noted in the Artist Notes, would this help the reviewer determine if proper composition of the image is allowable and avoid decline?  Obviously, one cannot change that aspect and maybe would not wish to as that is of a real life environment.  

Will those of us who are not perfect card making machines be penalized when the new Star Submitter thing goes into effect?

Not quite sure why I ask questions and can't get responses.  Hope it is just an oversight...

Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #23 - Jan 24th, 2012, 10:33pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 24th, 2012, 4:39pm:
Asking AGAIN...

If the environment of a particular image (photograph or drawing of 'real life') does not lend itself to perfect composition (for example, a house leaning over on a hilly landscape because that's what is really there) - if this is noted in the Artist Notes, would this help the reviewer determine if proper composition of the image is allowable and avoid decline?  Obviously, one cannot change that aspect and maybe would not wish to as that is of a real life environment.

Will those of us who are not perfect card making machines be penalized when the new Star Submitter thing goes into effect?

Not quite sure why I ask questions and can't get responses.  Hope it is just an oversight...

Donna, If the composition of the picture is bad, then it is unsuitable to be used as a card. Composition has to do with balance and harmony within a picture, and can be achieved even with the elements you describe. From your question, I suspect that you may not understand the principles of composition in photography. Maybe reading a few articles on the subject may be helpful?

Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Reply #24 - Jan 24th, 2012, 11:47pm

Hi Donna,
With anything artistic, whether it be a photo or artwork, you are telling your own story of the subject. Shooting something "as is" doesn't always work in the arena of being artistic. Looking at something and seeing it in a way that will be interesting and tell a story to the viewer (or evoke some kind of emotion) is the way to approach any subject whether you're painting or photographing. It takes a creative eye to interpret what you see that makes it interesting to the viewer. That ability can be learned or sometimes it's a natural ability, but that's what it takes to be successful in any artistic endeavor. And even if you have the natural ability, there's always so much to learn to be better. It's a constantly evolving process. Take some trips to some museums where photography is exhibited, and I guarantee you, you will leave inspired and start trying new things. In art, keeping in open mind to absorb and learn all you can is what grows the creative person to be the best they can be. Don't get hung up on something... move forward and start fresh. I tell you this with the kindest intentions to inspire you so that you can go forth with less frustration and more enjoyment.

My best to you!
Laura

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #25 - Jan 25th, 2012, 3:41am

I thank you for the further information - I know I have a lot to learn... but the other part of my question is in regards to a photo or drawing being done "on purpose".  I know plenty of you keep telling me not to worry about the work of others BUT it goes completely against the way I learn - I learn by example.  

I'm also awaiting a response from Admin regarding those of us who are not perfect on whether or not we will be penalized if we make mistakes.

This information is vital to me - need to know if I decide to upload cards and I continue to make mistakes if I'll be fined or have my store removed.

Email   IP Logged
Louise_136028
artist

Reply #26 - Jan 25th, 2012, 6:34am

as of today - I have 300 cards and 2952 cards sold.  I just got a card declined due to 'image quality' and 'typography'    but this upsets me very much because if you read what the card says...  it is supposed to be a skewed.    
it is a "missing you" landscape card that basically says - nothing looks the same without you here - it IS supposed to be off-color instead of the bright sunny day it actually was when I took the picture.

I am upset because almost 3,000 cards sold means that somebody likes the cards I am producing... it is a bit insulting

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #27 - Jan 26th, 2012, 4:12pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 24th, 2012, 4:39pm:
Asking AGAIN...

Hi Donna,
To answer your questions here and apologies for the delay.

1. Yes, it always helps to include details in the Notes to Reviewers field to share anything about your submission that you think would be helpful during the review like image source (is it 3rd party or yours), intentional effects & details that may not be so obvious like soft focus,  off center, crooked, details outstide the safety margin, filters & effects, etc.  Now this doesn't mean that just because you've noted it that it will be approved but it does give the reviewers a better understanding of the artist's intent and what was done deliberately.  We often look to the title, keywords and Artist's Notes for clues but a clear note in Note to Reviewers is the most reliable and helpful.

Imagine if it is a crooked old barn it would make sense that you've included in at least your title and/or keywords and/or Artist's Notes terms along those lines ie: "Crooked Old Barn".  

2. When Star Submitter is announced it will reward those artist with "near perfect" submissions.  For artists who have not been rewarded with the status it will simply be business as usual.  No penalty.

And per your earlier post re:  Too bad there wasn't a course in "Greeting Card Design 101"...  There are oodles of resources at your fingertips:  blogs, websites, books, etc.  Just roll up your sleeves and dig in! Smiley

Any of your q's I didn't cover?  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Jan 26th, 2012, 4:38pm

Quote from Mindy on Jan 26th, 2012, 4:12pm:
There are oodles of resources at your fingertips:  blogs, websites, books, etc.  Just roll up your sleeves and dig in! Smiley

EDIT

Doing the best I can, Mindy.  Forgive me for trying to get a grip on requirements and if I fit in here any more  cry

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #29 - Jan 26th, 2012, 5:45pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jan 26th, 2012, 4:38pm:
Quote from Mindy on Jan 26th, 2012, 4:12pm:
There are oodles of resources at your fingertips:  blogs, websites, books, etc.  Just roll up your sleeves and dig in! Smiley

EDIT

Doing the best I can, Mindy.  Forgive me for trying to get a grip on requirements and if I fit in here any more  cry

Hi Donna,
It pains me to hear your despair.  There is a lot of information to take in.  Perhaps it's a good time for you to take a step back and really evaluate and identify where you fit in.  What kind of cards do you have the best success making?  What type of work and designs come most natural to you?  What niche can you best serve?

You can't expect every card to be approved.  When they get declined just keep on creating.  When they get approved just keep on creating.  I know to say take the emotion out of it is easier said than done but it's true.

Do some homework of you own.  Look at and evaluate greeting cards everywhere you go.  Take note of what makes them good, what makes them work.  Be a sponge for learning.

If the process continues to be painful for you then you may just conclude that there is no longer a fit with GCU.  That is something that you must evaluate and decide.  undecided

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.