Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Translation Assistance (Read 23117 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Translation Assistance
Jan 5th, 2012, 2:28pm

With GCU's global community comes a wide variety of languages for both artists creating cards and shoppers looking for cards.  Online translators are often not reliable.  This thread is for artists who would like translation assistance for verses and for artists who would like to help with these requests AT NO CHARGE.  Finnish to English, English to Swedish ... you name it!

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Re: Translation Assistance
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2012, 5:05pm

Great idea Mindy! I've asked here a few times for translation help.  

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012, 5:12pm

Quote from cheryl_133782 on Jan 5th, 2012, 5:05pm:
Great idea Mindy! I've asked here a few times for translation help.  

Cheryl

Thanks!  Although I can't take credit for the idea.  I'm just the thug who implemented it  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Esperanza_137996
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2012, 5:28pm

Well, if I can help with Spanish let me know Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2012, 7:52pm

That's WONDERFUL Esperanza!  What a good way to start this new section, offering what we can help with!

All I can do well is English, but I am very willing to offer it when needed  

Email   IP Logged
Laurie_139933
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2012, 2:22am

This is wonderful, thank you so much!!!!  Let me be the first to ask Wink!  Google gives me this (Usted es viejo) for you're old.  Also if I added amigo to the end would that be okay for  both female and male.  I know that amigo means friend but my understanding is it goes more for a male.  I want the inside verse to work for both masculine and feminine.  Thank you again, Laurie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2012, 8:25am

Quote from Laurie_139933 on Jan 6th, 2012, 2:22am:
This is wonderful, thank you so much!!!!  Let me be the first to ask Wink!  Google gives me this (Usted es viejo) for you're old.  Also if I added amigo to the end would that be okay for  both female and male.  I know that amigo means friend but my understanding is it goes more for a male.  I want the inside verse to work for both masculine and feminine.  Thank you again, Laurie

One thing I think I remember from Spanish classes in Jr. High school, there are no contractions in the Spanish language so I've always struggled with the language  Grin  Sure nice to have Esperanza here Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2012, 11:19am

This is a fabulous addition to those who offer cards in other languages..moi.  I know google translate for the most part is totally unreliable as a source, except for some very common phrases such as happy birthday, etc. I have knowledge of French, if that helps and a little Spanish.  Thanks Mindy, what a big help this will be as I know many of our artists are native speakers.

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2012, 11:25am

Hey folks,
Here's a really good site for a translation.  There are people on board who will help with just about anything, but often it takes a few days for them to read your post and get back to you, but they are expert, for sure.
http://forum.wordreference.com/

I love this site. You might want to try it. Explore it because if you are translating a phrase that is not common, you might have to research it with a native speaker.

Cheers,

Email   IP Logged
Esperanza_137996
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2012, 11:50am

Hi
This is for Laurie 139933
In Spanish AMIGO (male)AMIGA ( female) and the same withVIEJO (male) VIEJA (female) and all depends what you want to say because if you tell somebody ESTAS VIEJA  or ESTAS VIEJO will be rude,so if you tell me what do you want to say maybe I can help you.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2012, 2:48pm

Quote from Esperanza_137996 on Jan 6th, 2012, 11:50am:
Hi
This is for Laurie 139933
In Spanish AMIGO (male)AMIGA ( female) and the same withVIEJO (male) VIEJA (female) and all depends what you want to say because if you tell somebody ESTAS VIEJA  or ESTAS VIEJO will be rude,so if you tell me what do you want to say maybe I can help you.

Funny how telling someone that they're old is rude in every language!  LOL!  Just proves that we're more the same than we are different.  Wink

This translation thread is a great idea!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Laurie_139933
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2012, 6:58pm

To Esperanza, thank you but it is meant for humor please don't be offended.  The front is a raccoon looking like he is giving a raspberry and he will be saying Nana Nana Booboo.  The inside being an age joke.  I am a old lady myself and my sisters and I are always taunting each other about being old.   What do you think might work better?   Thank you so much for your help, Laurie

Email   IP Logged
Alina_139939
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2012, 9:08pm

I will be happy to help anyone needing translation into Russian, although adding words will only be possible through photo editing software directly into the design due to the font incompatibility.

Email   IP Logged
Laurie_139933
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2012, 5:15am

Good morning!  I was hoping someone would tell me if this is right for (I'm younger than you) in Spanish (Soy mįs joven que tś).  I used google to translate.  Thank you for your time in advance, Take care, Laurie Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Evelyn_142919
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2012, 2:56am

Thanks, Marie, for that link. I was told by a Greek American that Google translate was very reliable, so I've been using it quite a bit. Now I learn it's not!  Shocked  I looked at the languages supported at the site, and I found just about every one imaginable ~ except Albanian. After I join and read the FAQs I'll post a request.

Does anyone here speak Albanian? I'd like to say "Hope you are feeling better." Google gave me "Shpresoj se ju jeni ndjenjė mė tė mirė."

Thanks,
Evie

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.