Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
NEW - Custom Front Cards - Text Only Option (Read 13632 times)
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Custom Front Cards - Text Only Option
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2011, 4:47pm

Here is my thought process - though not sure if correct, it seems to make logical sense and I've not had any situations like Judy just did.

I'll use Judy's example rather than think one up on my own  Grin

If I included 40th in the embedded design, whether in the art or typography then if I left room on the front, it could still be personalized with the couple's name or photo or both.  In this case I'm guessing the reviewer would have left your 40th in the title, keywords and category because it can not be changed.

If I do not include anything in the embedded design to indicate a specific year, then I can not choose the 40th, category nor include 40th in my title and keywords.

Now I apparently have not run into a grey area yet and that may be what Judy ran into

Can you give us specifics on where in your design you indicated 40th Judy so we can learn from this?

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2011, 5:34pm

Here is one I would like to make custom so that customer can add a name.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/-Aunt+63rd+Birthday+Zinnia+Garden-greeting+c ard-641526?aid=137290

If I put Aunt Mary or Aunt Judy as text that can be changed by the customer, how do I list the card?  Maybe title could be:  Custom Name for Aunt 63rd Birthday.

I've had numerous custom requests to add names to card fronts over the 2 years I've been here and it would be great if customer could do it.

Maybe, just leave the "for" on the design and the rest blank.  Just not sure how the customer would know that they could add/or/change a name.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2011, 6:04pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Oct 15th, 2011, 5:34pm:
Here is one I would like to make custom so that customer can add a name.
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/-Aunt+63rd+Birthday+Zinnia+Garden-greeting+c ard-641526?aid=137290

If I put Aunt Mary or Aunt Judy as text that can be changed by the customer, how do I list the card?  Maybe title could be:  Custom Name for Aunt 63rd Birthday.

I've had numerous custom requests to add names to card fronts over the 2 years I've been here and it would be great if customer could do it.

Maybe, just leave the "for" on the design and the rest blank.  Just not sure how the customer would know that they could add/or/change a name.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kati

Great card Kati!  Here is what I would do if it were my card.

First I would remove the for Aunt on the front if you still have your layered files (I keep all mine, some people don't).  Then I would add the for Aunt Margaret using the custom text tool and use your title suggestion of "Custom Name Card for Aunt's 63rd Birthday.  Also put in your Artist Notes as part of your description that the For Aunt Margaret is completely customizable.

IF someone finds it, because the Custom Name Card will come up in searches and thinks gee I'd like it to say for Grandma Annie, then you get a bonus sale  Grin  

This is what I plan to do on all my cards that were custom.  

Hope that offers you some food for thought Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2011, 7:13pm

Thanks Doreen.  Luckily I've kept all my original designs in layered files as well, so will be relatively easy to make these custom front cards.

I see you put one of your sympathy personalized cards in collections>custom personalized cards category.  Was that a second category for that card?  Did you also put it under the sympathy category?

Was thinking it would be better to make my Aunt card not age specific and use the title: Custom Name for Aunt Zinnia Garden Birthday.  Or, maybe just a general card: Custom Name Zinnia Garden Birthday.  But suspect a general would just get lost in the shuffle unless there was a specific search for custom name as you mentioned.  Or maybe, do all three of the above.

Or... could use the collections>custom personalized cards category and make the age and name both customizable????

Since GCU has such a great category selection that is used so well by customers, probably be best to stay as much as we can within the more specific categories.  That way custom name cards may get found.

Just rambling!
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Oct 16th, 2011, 1:31am

OK - here is what happened:

As it was a photocard, the '40th' was customisable.  

As you can see, the '40th' still remains on the cardfront as we aren't allowed to put anything like 'your date here'.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/-Wedding+Anniversary+Invitation+Photo+Card-g reeting+card-865515?aid=139270

But there is not '40th' in the title.

The fact that the '40th' was customisable was the reason the reviewer gave me for removing it from the title and the keywords and leaving the card in just the one catergory for 'Wedding Invitations > Invitations > Photo Card, though she left the '40th'  in my Artist's Notes. I don't know whether that was an oversight or whether she just didn't want to change my notes.

I have since made another card for a Wedding Anniversary with the year customisable and left out the year in the title etc in just the same way as the reviewer did, and it has been approved by a different reviewer.

(This, and the 'wiggle room' issure, is why I asked on another thread that we could have all the instructions for photo cards put together in one place for the sake of clarity.)

I think the reason this is proving a bit complicated is that other sites, such as moonpig and funkypigeon, that allow customers to personalise their cards, apply that to ALL their cards and advertise that on their home page. Clinton's, though, appear to offer some of each - personalised and 'other' and the distinction is made on the homepage with different tabs.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Oct 16th, 2011, 7:26am

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Oct 15th, 2011, 7:13pm:
Thanks Doreen.  Luckily I've kept all my original designs in layered files as well, so will be relatively easy to make these custom front cards.

I see you put one of your sympathy personalized cards in collections>custom personalized cards category.  Was that a second category for that card?  Did you also put it under the sympathy category?

Was thinking it would be better to make my Aunt card not age specific and use the title: Custom Name for Aunt Zinnia Garden Birthday.  Or, maybe just a general card: Custom Name Zinnia Garden Birthday.  But suspect a general would just get lost in the shuffle unless there was a specific search for custom name as you mentioned.  Or maybe, do all three of the above.

Or... could use the collections>custom personalized cards category and make the age and name both customizable????

Since GCU has such a great category selection that is used so well by customers, probably be best to stay as much as we can within the more specific categories.  That way custom name cards may get found.

Just rambling!
Kati

Yes Kati, it was a 2nd category to the Sympathy category

Well it certainly is your choice to decide what is the least amount of work for the most sales. I think it's important to keep in mind as Mindy mentioned, we have a huge variety of typography options whereas the custom tool does not - nor will it ever.  So, for me where that 'break' in design lies is really important and I'm guessing that in general, the average year-specific card will not look good or be found by the consumer if made so general that the customer can change the age.

Just my opinion though.

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Oct 17th, 2011, 2:23am

Quote from Mindy on Oct 14th, 2011, 3:44pm:
You can now create Custom Front cards with customize text only (not photos).  You'll follow the same process as you did with photo cards just without setting a transparent zone and adding a placeholder photo (so skipping steps 1 and 2).

Please see the original post for Custom Front cards here for more info:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1312497338

These cards should be categorized like any other card, business as usual.  They are not required to go into any "custom / personalize" subcategory.

Although the shopper can change the custom text to whatever they want your Card title and keywords should be literal to the card and not what the card MAY be changed to.  So if you've created a 5th Birthday card you cannot also list 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, only 5th.

Any questions?  Roll Eyes

Been thinking about what Mindy wrote about the Card title and keywords being literal to the card and not what the card may be changed to.

Following that rule, these cards are 'literally' customisable cards so shouldn't they, strictly speaking, have a title such as -

'Customisable Christmas Card'

or

'Birthday Card for any age or person'

or

'Sympathy Card for you to Personalise',

have words like 'customise' in the keywords, and go in a 'Customisable' category?

(I'm sure I saw a photo card once that had as its title, ' _________ card for Anyone' but I haven't been able to find it again.)

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Oct 18th, 2011, 10:09am

I've just had an email from a reviewer to say that they've reinstated the '40th' on my card, to fit with the rules. Sad

I really can't see that it's worth making these customisable cards if they are going to be treated exactly as if they weren't customisable. It's a great shame as I thought this was going to be real step forward and avoid us having so many cards with the same design in our stores. Sad

Email   IP Logged
Erik_183213
GCU Newbies
artist

Great..
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2011, 4:19am

I’ve read through a number of the articles in your website , and I love the way you Forum. I included it to my favorites Forum site list and will also be checking quickly.
Diwali Messages

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2011, 4:35am

Angry
Get OUT OF HERE Erik, take your spammy self somewhere else!

Email   IP Logged
Leonilde_137327
artist

Reply #25 - Oct 21st, 2011, 12:39am

[quote author=Doreen_137017 link=1318632265/0#8 date=1318642989]Quote from Sally_131513 on Oct 14th, 2011, 6:33pm:
It sounds to me like you just make cards like reg. cards only don't put text on them where a customer could be adding what they want.  Customers can add their own wording on them.  It does tho mean you have to direct the cards to a category as usual.

Sal  Grin

You still have to layout the text boxes and put text 'placeholders' though Sal - just so ya know Smiley  You are correct about the categorizing though . . . business as usual only unlike Photo Cards, you DO NOT need to have one of the categories be Personalized cards.

Create specific cards as we've always done for a specific category, just create text the customer can personalize Smiley  

Here is an important tip:

Currently we designers do not see an overlap of text boxes during the creation process - this is already on GCU's list of issues, so no need to complain about it - so after you create your Personalized card.  Go to your Manage Cards Page and look at your MARGIN PREVIEW.  You will see the text boxes you created are all outlined with blue lines, these CAN NOT overlap.  If they do the card will be returned to you, so go back and adjust - it will save you from have to resubmit later.
[/quote
--------------------------
Hi Doreen!
You know so much about all this process that I wonder if you could help me to figure out why I can not see the famous blue lines in my photo cards? I made the photo cards just to place photos no text. I made them with a transparency area to place the photo and saved them as a PNG. I was able to go through the process of submitting them, place the photo, etc, but there is no definition of the transparency area with blue lines. Do you know why this is happening? What is the step I am failing?  Apparently the customer cannot place a photo there without that definition.
Thank you so much,
Leonilde

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Oct 21st, 2011, 7:58am

[quote author=Leonilde_137327 link=1318632265/15#25 date=1319182780]Quote from Doreen_137017 on Oct 14th, 2011, 6:43pm:
Quote from Sally_131513 on Oct 14th, 2011, 6:33pm:
It sounds to me like you just make cards like reg. cards only don't put text on them where a customer could be adding what they want.  Customers can add their own wording on them.  It does tho mean you have to direct the cards to a category as usual.

Sal  Grin

You still have to layout the text boxes and put text 'placeholders' though Sal - just so ya know Smiley  You are correct about the categorizing though . . . business as usual only unlike Photo Cards, you DO NOT need to have one of the categories be Personalized cards.

Create specific cards as we've always done for a specific category, just create text the customer can personalize Smiley  

Here is an important tip:

Currently we designers do not see an overlap of text boxes during the creation process - this is already on GCU's list of issues, so no need to complain about it - so after you create your Personalized card.  Go to your Manage Cards Page and look at your MARGIN PREVIEW.  You will see the text boxes you created are all outlined with blue lines, these CAN NOT overlap.  If they do the card will be returned to you, so go back and adjust - it will save you from have to resubmit later.
[/quote
--------------------------
Hi Doreen!
You know so much about all this process that I wonder if you could help me to figure out why I can not see the famous blue lines in my photo cards? I made the photo cards just to place photos no text. I made them with a transparency area to place the photo and saved them as a PNG. I was able to go through the process of submitting them, place the photo, etc, but there is no definition of the transparency area with blue lines. Do you know why this is happening? What is the step I am failing?  Apparently the customer cannot place a photo there without that definition.
Thank you so much,
Leonilde

Hi Leonilde - I do have an answer for you!

You can't see the blue lines because none of us in the design mode at the time of creation can see them  Grin  GCU is working to correct that.  In the meantime, you can finish your card to the best of your ability, save it and then in the Manage Cards area bring up Print Preview and you'll see the blue lines there . . .

CAUTION however -  the last few days those blue lines in the Print Preview have been floating well above the text and no help at all.  GCU is working on that glitch too  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Websprinter_148078
artist

Reply #27 - Oct 15th, 2012, 12:51am

These cards should be categorized like any other card, business as usual.  They are not required to go into any "custom / personalize" subcategory.

Hi Mindy or anyone who can answer for me (since I'm stumped in the middle of creating a new card.)  
The Categories for these all have. "Photo Cards / Custom Personalized Cards".
Instead of what I wish, which would be, "Custom Personalized Cards / Custom Fonts"

For the time being I put it in, "Collections > Custom Personalized Cards Cards." Is that OK?  

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Oct 15th, 2012, 1:37am

Hi Websprinter -

That's exactly what I do - while wishing we could have a 'proper' category for all the different custom-front cards, rather than having to pin them down to whatever our placeholder text is as well.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #29 - Oct 15th, 2012, 7:04am

Quote from Websprinter_148078 on Oct 15th, 2012, 12:51am:

Hi Mindy or anyone who can answer for me (since I'm stumped in the middle of creating a new card.)
The Categories for these all have. "Photo Cards / Custom Personalized Cards".
Instead of what I wish, which would be, "Custom Personalized Cards / Custom Fonts"

For the time being I put it in, "Collections > Custom Personalized Cards Cards." Is that OK?

You are correct.  Last I heard GCU is working on how to deal with Personalized vs Photo cards and I'm sure they will soon reveal an excellent solution!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.