Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
NEW - Custom Front Cards - Text Only Option (Read 13643 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

NEW - Custom Front Cards - Text Only Option
Oct 14th, 2011, 3:44pm

You can now create Custom Front cards with customize text only (not photos).  You'll follow the same process as you did with photo cards just without setting a transparent zone and adding a placeholder photo (so skipping steps 1 and 2).

Please see the original post for Custom Front cards here for more info:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1312497338

These cards should be categorized like any other card, business as usual.  They are not required to go into any "custom / personalize" subcategory.

Although the shopper can change the custom text to whatever they want your Card title and keywords should be literal to the card and not what the card MAY be changed to.  So if you've created a 5th Birthday card you cannot also list 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, only 5th.

Any questions?  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Custom Front Cards - Text Only Option
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2011, 4:47pm

Sounds great Mindy.  Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2011, 4:51pm

Quote from Mindy on Oct 14th, 2011, 3:44pm:
You can now create Custom Front cards with customize text only (not photos).  You'll follow the same process as you did with photo cards just without setting a transparent zone and adding a placeholder photo (so skipping steps 1 and 2).

Please see the original post for Custom Front cards here for more info:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1312497338

These cards should be categorized like any other card, business as usual.  They are not required to go into any "custom / personalize" subcategory.

Although the shopper can change the custom text to whatever they want your Card title and keywords should be literal to the card and not what the card MAY be changed to.  So if you've created a 5th Birthday card you cannot also list 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, only 5th.

Any questions?  Roll Eyes

Many thanks, Mindy -- you've just explained everything I was asking about in a post which is now immediately obsolete! Cheesy Very glad to have these answers as well as the great new enhancement itself.

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2011, 5:15pm

Thank You Mindy and Staff, great job!
Janet Lee

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2011, 5:27pm

Actually I do have a couple questions.... Roll Eyes
Do the cards still have to be PNG?
Do we add: "Your Text Here".
Thank you, Janet Lee

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131513
artist

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2011, 6:33pm

It sounds to me like you just make cards like reg. cards only don't put text on them where a customer could be adding what they want.  Customers can add their own wording on them.  It does tho mean you have to direct the cards to a category as usual.

Sal  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2011, 6:34pm

Quote from Janet_134086 on Oct 14th, 2011, 5:27pm:
Actually I do have a couple questions.... Roll Eyes
Do the cards still have to be PNG?
Do we add: "Your Text Here".
Thank you, Janet Lee

I can answer those Janet:

No - cards without a photo opening can be either jpg or png

No - Use a real placeholder for text such as; Andrew Jackson not Your Name Here

Good luck and have fun!!

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131513
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2011, 6:36pm

no placeholder!!!!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2011, 6:43pm

Quote from Sally_131513 on Oct 14th, 2011, 6:33pm:
It sounds to me like you just make cards like reg. cards only don't put text on them where a customer could be adding what they want.  Customers can add their own wording on them.  It does tho mean you have to direct the cards to a category as usual.

Sal  Grin

You still have to layout the text boxes and put text 'placeholders' though Sal - just so ya know Smiley  You are correct about the categorizing though . . . business as usual only unlike Photo Cards, you DO NOT need to have one of the categories be Personalized cards.

Create specific cards as we've always done for a specific category, just create text the customer can personalize Smiley  

Here is an important tip:

Currently we designers do not see an overlap of text boxes during the creation process - this is already on GCU's list of issues, so no need to complain about it - so after you create your Personalized card.  Go to your Manage Cards Page and look at your MARGIN PREVIEW.  You will see the text boxes you created are all outlined with blue lines, these CAN NOT overlap.  If they do the card will be returned to you, so go back and adjust - it will save you from have to resubmit later.

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131513
artist

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2011, 6:52pm

Is there a template for that or are we guessing as we go?   I am soooooooo lost now.  not sure it's worth the trouble.  Ha.

Sal  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2011, 8:42pm

Thank you Doreen... Have a great weekend everyone!
Janet Lee Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Monica_138175
artist

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2011, 11:34pm

So a shopper looking for a 6th birthday card still won't find mine, when I happened to choose 5th birthday, as I'm obliged to reduce keywords and title to 5th birthday then. Sounds like the new option is not that helpful after all, unless GCU informs shoppers (in a prominent place) about their ability to change all specifics on a card with a customizable front, and doesn't just give those cards a little subcategory that most shoppers won't even discover.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2011, 2:29am

Quote from Monica_138175 on Oct 14th, 2011, 11:34pm:

So a shopper looking for a 6th birthday card still won't find mine, when I happened to choose 5th birthday, as I'm obliged to reduce keywords and title to 5th birthday then. Sounds like the new option is not that helpful after all, unless GCU informs shoppers (in a prominent place) about their ability to change all specifics on a card with a customizable front, and doesn't just give those cards a little subcategory that most shoppers won't even discover.

This expresses very well my doubt after the initial delight with the latest enhancement: how, indeed, will customers ever know what is available to them ? Even with such a notification as suggested by Monica -- a good idea -- how will these cards with customizable fronts be found, except by chance?

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2011, 7:40am

This is a good point, we would still have to create cards for every number, I seeeee ..... hmmmm .....  just don't make cards like that 'front text' customizable, I guess.

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2011, 3:52pm

I think this business of the categories and the titles really needs a bit of sorting out - maybe a rethink?

I recently made a wedding anniversary photo card, and because of what I thought we were supposed to do (ie make it specific as usual) I, rather randomly, put '40th' in the title, the keywords and the category.  

But the reviewer removed my '40th' from the title, keywords and categories, as it could be customised for any wedding anniversary, which I thought was eminently sensible.

As others have already said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of point making cards customisable unless the customers are very clearly pointed in the direction of cusomisable cards if that's what they want. If we put just one option (age, person, occasion etc) in the title etc, it seems like a matter of chance whether they will find our customised designs.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.